Princess as the throne for the ace

Teheuti

wizzle said:
I do think clothing has a symbolism beyond that in ancient times.
Certainly it does. And it varies according to period, location, context, etc. Did the Golden Dawn mean the same thing regarding the Princesses that Crosson did when talking about St. Paul? Factually, we can't know their intentions (except when stated). Culturally, it seems a little far-fetched to be an exact parallel. It does add a layer of possibility to the potential card meaning (thanks for that).

Personally, I've never heard anyone describe nudity in the tarot as suggesting an element of the divine in their lives - but I wouldn't put it outside the range of possibility. Certainly, if someone saw this I'd be delighted and would love working with the symbolism.

This is perhaps a new thread - How does the 'intended' symbolism (let's say the artist Moina Mathers wanting us to refer back to nudity according to Crosson on St. Paul) have to do with the 'received' meaning in a situation such as a 21st century hairdresser who is having relationship problems with her biker boyfriend? Do you need to know the intended symbolism to derive helpful meaning in the actual reading?

Mary

tink27

Hi wizzle

wizzle said:
In terms of rulership, the GD princesses are armed but semi-nude which seemed odd to me until related that to the ancient images of divinity. I'm reading a great book by Crosson on Saint Paul and he repeatedly stresses that in the statues which showed the emperors as divine, the figure was either nude or semi-nude.

Could it be that the Prince and the Princesses are still in their youth, possibly innocent and vulnerable to outside forces. Sexuality is a new experience, hormones run rampant, they dress and dance provocatively. With this power their energies could be intensified, it stimulates visions and the imagination. They open up new sources of creativity.

We (the Queen and King) see their pleasures as 'impure desires that need disciplining, learning. Perhaps the King holds the truth of this strength and this power.

You say they are armed, is this or could this be a primal instinctive power or what we know as our gut- level instinct?

tink