Print on Demand Cards

gregory

Do you get to design your own backs ? (I always go full bleed.)

ETA tarotmama your PM box is full - and I have a suggestion for you :)

tarotmama

Yes you can design your own backs. The site is very easy to use and explains everything.

I would have considered taking my cards full-bleed, but they are already finished and it would be a considerable new project to make them full-bleed at this point -- I'd have to move around the titles and everything. I actually toyed around with one of them and it just didn't fit the "vision" I have of the deck.

Ok. I uploaded a pic. Hopefully it is not a problem to link it (I know in some forums it's ok?):

http://tarotbymelissa.com/mlenormand.JPG

You can see in the top row the cards are cut near perfectly. I would consider those acceptable.

But the bottom two rows are just wonky! And TGC support told me that it's all within their "acceptable" limits.

Oh and I cleaned out the inbox :)

Aerin

What a brilliant idea.

I've noticed that the site is very up-front with tolerances and suggest "full bleed" and techniques for making offset less noticable. There's also a post from someone who used to run an in-house print who says that this is pretty unavoidable for print on demand. (Have looked at the forum.) The alternative is presumably a full print run with associated costs and risk of getting left with unsold stock/ storage issues.

I do think your cards would look beautiful full bleed - really.

gregory

Ummm I see your point. You have (at last ;)) PM.

But I think they'd be great full bleed too.

canid

tarotmama said:
Some of the cards were cut perfectly, some the border was cut off completely. When I complained about this, they suggested I make the cards full-bleed to avoid ugly and inconsistent borders. Since my artwork isn't set up for full-bleed, I'll have to find someone else.

But if they're having registration problems with a simple border, wouldn't part of your image be shifted & cut off with a full bleed?

tarotmama

canid said:
But if they're having registration problems with a simple border, wouldn't part of your image be shifted & cut off with a full bleed?

Yeah. My point exactly. Some of the cards have a full quarter inch cut off on one side. On cards as small as mine (poker sized) I just feel that's unacceptable. It'd make everything wonky.

And I was disappointed that all of the "example" cards they post on their site show bordered cards with centered content.

The cards -- as far as tarots/oracles go -- not sale-able in my opinion. Maybe gamers have different standards of quality!! ;)

ETA: At this point I really cannot go full bleed. It would mess up all my layering. Either I find an affordable printer who has better quality control with the cutting process or I don't print them at all. :)

Chronata

After reading about this, the first thing I did was go to the site's forum and look through responses, and I found yours right away tarotmama!

This was the exact problem I had with my first LE of the All Hallows majors, that I did with my local sweet, but idiotic printers.

The difference is...my local printers offered to redo them for me, which, judging by the site admin over there...won't happen.

That's pretty unacceptable to me. The whole argument of "well it's YOUR problem because your images aren't right" is ridiculous, in my opinion.

I don't blame you at all Tarotmama...I wouldn't call those sellable either, and it brings up a whole issue of inconsistancy with the Print on Demand people.

and I was so excited thinking I may have found an affordable printing solution. But alas...still not it. sigh. I am sure I would run into the same issues, and I really don't like their attitude.

I participated in a project on another site, where a print on demand for books was used. And the books had horrible binding problems and all feell apart. They had a similar attitude of "it's not OUR fault" which again...is so ridiculous.

Hopefully someday there will be a card PoD that really works with you.

tarotmama

Aerin said:

I've contacted them also. They're backlogged at the moment and can't take any new customers for a few weeks. But I'm going to pursue it and see if they can do a better job than the Game Crafter people. Based on the information they've sent me so far it looks like they could do a "better" job, but can't guarantee centered content either.

divinemsm

tarotmama said:
Yeah. My point exactly. Some of the cards have a full quarter inch cut off on one side. On cards as small as mine (poker sized) I just feel that's unacceptable. It'd make everything wonky.

And I was disappointed that all of the "example" cards they post on their site show bordered cards with centered content.

The cards -- as far as tarots/oracles go -- not sale-able in my opinion. Maybe gamers have different standards of quality!! ;)

ETA: At this point I really cannot go full bleed. It would mess up all my layering. Either I find an affordable printer who has better quality control with the cutting process or I don't print them at all. :)

I really would be bummed by this because your cards are just stunning!!
So, lets say I go full bleed and design my cards with what would work with their layout. How is the card stock and the finish? Are they really stiff or really flimsy and cheap?