Problems shuffling 'new' deck

karafarrahbobera

My very first deck of cards was the Morgan-Greer deck, and I'd bought them 14 years ago. I'd read for many people with them, including very good friends who are no longer on this earth, and there was a lot of really good energy and many great memories in that deck. However, my nutty beagle/dalmation mix had a moment of insanity and destroyed part of the deck. Obviously, I couldn't read with them anymore, so I bought another Morgan-Greer deck to replace them. Unfortunately, THIS copy of the deck is really odd--it's as if the cards won't shuffle correctly with the faces down. They're kind of bent toward the back of the cards...when you try to shuffle them with the cards facing down, they shuffle in "chunks" and it doesn't seem like you're getting a proper shuffle. If you shuffle them with the cards facing up, they bend and blend properly--but that's not very helpful when you're supposed to be mixing them blind.

It seems like they were printed on the wrong side of the paper, and someone at the printing facility thought "No big deal."

I thought I could overcome the bend in the cards by just shuffling them over and over to break them in. Shuffled them so much that I actually got tendonitis in my left thumb, so you know how determined I was to try to make this deck work! Of all the decks I've bought over the years, this is my favorite.

But that didn't work. So now I have a replacement deck of cards that I can't really use for readings comfortably. Is there something I can do to 'fix' or retrain these cards?? Or should I just give up and go buy ANOTHER Morgan-Greer deck from someplace local, so I can return them if there's a problem with them? Or should I just stop being so high-maintenance and get used to using one of the 20-some other decks I've purchased through the years?

TheOld

got your solution my friend but you got have a a solid heart ;-)

just take one card after another in your hands and fold them horizontaly, verticaly and on the 4 corner.
the idea is to break the current curve in the cards and for that you just have to fold there elswhere.

just don't break the cardboard, you can fold it at an angle of 90 degres but not 180, you see the pictures hehe

If your like me you can find them too much folded after it, just take one card after another in your hand and fold it to get it straight.

fold and defold in short hehe
you will love them after that :)

Light
Omeada

ravenest

Geeze 'Theold' that sounds a bit severe, reminds me of when i was biker and guys would tow their new jeans behind their bikes for a few days to break them in - with holes, dirt and oil. :)

I use to just bend the whole deck back the other way, or split into two piles and bend (the other way)then hold each pile so corners overlap and flick them together, then do a normal shuffle.

Hey Karafarrabobera! Don't get me mixed up and tow your cards behind your bike OK?

Fulgour

I have some decks like this, where the curve goes
contrary to the easiet shuffling ~ I wouldn't really
try too hard to change them, but rather shuffle as
works best to mix them and don't peek so much ;)
but for the final mix turn them face down and cut
into four piles, pick them up as you feel, and deal.

Grizabella

I think I know what Omeada means and it's not as severe as it sounds. But what I do is just take the cards and, starting at the top, I gently work downwards, using my thumbs and fingers to bend the cards toward me in the opposite direction of the unwanted bend. This takes some time, but I've only had one deck it didn't work with. I don't know if this explains it clearly, but if it doesn't, ask me and I'll try it again. :)

Then to keep the bend from reappearing from always shuffling in the same direction, I shuffle in both directions about equally and all my decks have stayed nice and straight without bends.

karafarrahbobera

:D

Actually, ravenest, I HAVE been guilty of abusing new blue jeans to get them to a more comfortable state of being, but I don't think I'd be able to do that to my cards!

Thanks to each of you for replying back--kind of confirms my original suspicions, that trying to get these cards to behave the way my OLD deck did might bring them close to destruction. Fulgour, I think I'll be following your suggestion, shuffling them thoroughly whichever direction they'll allow it, and then turning them upside down to finish them off.

And if anyone has a pair of jeans that need roughing up...I'd suggest laying them flat on the sidewalk or garage floor, and then beating them thoroughly with a ballpeen hammer. Makes for interesting little frayed holes!

thanks again--
Kara

TheOld

Lyric is right, i'm not that hard with my card hehe

and that really is not destroying the card, the things is to do some curve in the card but not to do a real fold, just don't break the cardboard!!!

i will put some pictures of a deck here later, you'll see how they are beautifull !!!

Light
Omeada

Fulgour

karafarrahbobera said:
And if anyone has a pair of jeans that need roughing up...
When I lived in Michigan as a kid (Holland and Birmingham)
my jeans got very well broken in going out picking berries.

I like all the images of making ourselves comfortable in our
own way, and with cards it's easy to make an adjustment.

Best Wishes, Kara :) See you around...

raventepes

Personally, I'd just seperate them into 4 equalish stacks and place a couple big, heavy books on them for a few days...might work.

TheOld

theres the full shuffling method to break a deck whitout really doing damage.

oh, btw, the card tend to do straight after a couple of day, so don't panick after you just finish the pack

Omeada

Attachments

• corner1.JPG
    corner1.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 365
  • Horizontal.JPG
    Horizontal.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Back also.JPG
    Back also.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 330
  • Not that folded.JPG