purple colour.

re-pete-a

Philebus, the persuit of pleasure also includes anything that promotes that , whether it be main stream or not . So if being contrary is pleasureable, then it too should be persued. Though the book hasn't been fully read as yet, it's aim seems to be to understand the nature of things and not to be misled by public or religious persuasions with the intents to mislead the unknowing. To see through Nationalism,etc. and to empower the self and disentangle the complex systems being played with both then and now.

Melanchollic

philebus said:
I don't subscribe to it but hedonism is hard to escape, even Plato had to address it properly in the Philebus (which is not why I took the name), it remains a major force in Utilitarianism and happiness is at the root of Aristotle's virtues. Epicurus seems important to me in ethics because he also presents a more sophisticated hedonism. Hedonist or not, the pursuit of happiness is a part of life and philosophy.

So true. The odd thing is, we generally only reflect on the nature of happiness when we are not.

frelkins

Ah Mel, you see we have so much in common! You, oh classical philosopher, and me, who majored in the classics myself, specifically, ancient Greek. Nonetheless, my :love:, I have sympathy for all the ancients and would not do without them. I'm sure you don't hold my boy-craziness against me? Or if you do, at least promise to hold it harder? Spittin'ly yours. . . ;)

Moonbow

Is the colour purple related to Tarot history in any way?

Just wondering where this thread is going. :)

re-pete-a

The colour purple was said on this forum to have been in existance only around the 1400's, The information on colour was posted for histories sake , but it seems it was hijacked to follow others agenda's.
SO, in answer to Melanchollic's reply, You perhaps need to bone up on the book a little. The avoidance of death is impossible, how it happens is out of one's hands unless it's suicide. The Romans were also responsible for the deaths by rape and torture of many . As is the church, as is Nationalism's of any sort. Thats what the thrust of L is about, not to get lost in the us or them's but to see what it does, and to be aware of it when used as weapons in the smoke screen of ignorance.
As historians surely you must see that not a thing has changed since the raping and pillaging of the nations of old. Perhaps the history has a lesson, follow the common thinking and you end up with the common results.
It didn't work then, it isn't working now , What foolishness is this.

Rosanne

re-pete-a said:
The colour purple was said on this forum to have been in existance only around the 1400's, The information on colour was posted for histories sake , but it seems it was hijacked to follow others agenda's.
Maybe this confusion about Purple was that Tyrian Purple ceased to be used when the Eastern Roman Empire crashed in 1453. As far as I know the use of what we call Purple was used in Minoan times and the Phoencians made much mullah from selling the dye around the Mediterranean and further afield before it was written about by the Greeks.
As to knowledge that was accepted in ancient times- that we think to today is Science....we are arrogant SOBs. There is much more that has been lost than has been discovered I think.
Here is one item.
Humans on average breath per day 25,920 times, which is amazingly coincidentally the number of years in the Great Platonic Year, same as the average life span of 25,920 days. Goodness gracious me- the ancients knew about Biorythms!!!
Why are we so surprised to learn we have not discovered that much new stuff after all???
~Rosanne

philebus

Well, the length of the Platonic Year depends on who you talk to. Not all astrologers agree and then they don't usually use the same figures as astronomers. I'm really at a loss to understand the importance of an average number of breaths, though much more so an average life span which has so many dependencies - not least upon when you live.

As much as I value the ancient texts, and as much as I think that we still have much to learn from them, I really don't think that more has been lost than discovered. You simply cannot compare modern physics with that of Aristotle, as great a genius as he was. Even in ethics, while many return to virtue theory, they do so with greater understandings - compare Alastair MacIntyre's foundation for virtue with Aristotle's. Not to mention the development of patient centred morality.

Rosanne

philebus said:
As much as I value the ancient texts, and as much as I think that we still have much to learn from them, I really don't think that more has been lost than discovered.
:D How do you know???

~Rosanne

philebus

It is simply what I have most reason to believe, which is what emprical knowledge boils down to.

frelkins

And here's where it comes back to Tarot. It is better to look askance at the potted histories and return to facts, to original sources, as Mel has done with his readings on the numbers.