Querents' favorite decks

La Hierbera

A few questions for those of you that offer querents a choice of decks for their readings...

*Have you noticed a preference towards specific decks?
*Do you find that your querents watch the cards or you, when you place them on the table or deliver your reading?
*How much importance do you place on their preference of images verses the deck you most connect with?

Many thanks :)

(My apologies if this topic has already been adressed. I've searched through the forums, but did not find any threads along these lines).

MsAnon

A few questions for those of you that offer querents a choice of decks for their readings...

*Have you noticed a preference towards specific decks?
*Do you find that your querents watch the cards or you, when you place them on the table or deliver your reading?
*How much importance do you place on their preference of images verses the deck you most connect with?

My apologies if this topic has already been adressed. I've searched through the forums, but did not find any threads along these lines.

Many thanks :)

I think all of these questions depends on the querents level of awareness when it comes to Tarot.

* With people who are completely open and usually new, it doesn't matter. Their preference will be based on your confidence with the deck in hand. People who are open but know of the Tarot, Ive seen a lot of scoffing at ones that sway from the 'traditional' , without knowing how long or prevalent this is in the world of Tarot. For those who are skeptical from the get-go, well they probably would raise an eyebrow at anything you put before them but would probably want the traditional RWS. Again though, I think what trumps all of this is your own level of comfortability which will come through regardless.

* More often than not the cards. They hear you, but as the words come in as their minds are pulling up immediate associations as they stare into the pictures. During discussions and deeper delving they look up. (all of this is just based on my experience though)

* If you are dealing with someone who has their own interpretations, hear them out but still stick to your own intuition. Sometimes we need that outside perspective, and make it known that different decks correspond with their owners differently. How you have practiced and seen shine through is this language you have taken time to develop. The respect has to flow both ways lest awkwardness ensue. For many reasons they may not want to let go of what they know a certain card to be, usually its because what they have may be more positive. They have to let go and be open and even analyze why there is such an attachment. The ways to phrase this in the most respectful way will come in time.

VGimlet

Most of my querents like colorful decks when given a choice. Gilded is a favorite, and so is the Prairie Tarot.

My querents look at the cards, and they watch me a little, but I like to point out the symbols in the cards to them, and how the cards connect. So, some of each I guess.

I can read with any of my decks, and I rarely read for people with my personal favorites. Some people find some of my favorites disturbing, and a few of the others are too pricey to be hauling around, even if I do use them to read with. I like using decks they connect with.

shadowdancer

This is a very interesting question.

I do offer a choice of 4 decks for face to face readings. I usually have one card from each deck (randomly chosen) on display on a rack and they choose the deck from seeing just that card.

2 'given's are:

Deirdre of Sorrows
Bright Idea

Other options vary between:

Granny Jones
Today's Journey
Snowland
Anna K

As to whether they watch me or the cards I am not sure. I say that because 85% of the time I am looking at the cards. I do like to point out aspects of the card to back up what I am saying so I have to assume they do look at the card more than me :)

As for anything I place on their chosen deck, I tend not to really. I just go with the fact they have chosen the right deck for their reading, and that there may be certain images present in one deck that may not appear in others, and that those relevant aspects will come up if appropriate.

Hope that makes sense :)

Davina
Mythic

I find quite often men opt for the Bright Idea deck.

feynrir

I have very few repeat querents.

But my sister is one of them, and she LOVES the Rider-Waite-Smith--particularly, the Universal Waite. She is just such a fan of those pastelly colors, and it just so happens that her favorite color is yellow. (So to me, her preference is no coincidence :p ) I ended up gifting her my first copy of the Universal Waite.

My mother (who is a lot like my sister) also loves the RWS. I really wonder if it's a personality thing!

My boyfriend likes the Illuminati and the Construction Paper tarots. He thinks they're badass. :D

Many querents I've had who aren't close to me really like the Thoth and the Shadowscapes--those two seem to have some kind of magnetic pull, probably because they are both very beautiful and expressive. Some even really like the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn, which is bolder and brighter than the others.

And I've only met one querent ever who liked Marseille-style decks!

AnemoneRosie

I do email readings and always attach a picture. The one that gets me the enthusiastic response to the cards is the Hezicos.
I also have a small subset of clients who prefer Gothic or Ghosts and Spirits.