Question about the question

BrightEye

There's a situation involving myself and another that is baffling me at the moment. To get more insight I asked 'What's going on?' and drew 3 cards. I know what the cards are telling me, but my question is: are they just telling me my side of the story (the cards confirm what I think is going on/ what my intuition is telling me) or are they genuinely giving me insight, ie considering the other party's point of view? Is there any way of knowing?

Rosanne

Hi BrightEye!

You know I call Tarot, "Tarot of the Hindsight"
I make sure the question is a lot more concrete than "What's going on here"?
so I do not have to wonder exactly what you are wondering.
If you have not stated the question as clearly as you need- you are never going to know. That is in my opinion.

I would have said something like (out aloud) This situation between X and myself is baffling I want to have some insight into clearing MY bafflement.
Forming an accurate question is the hardest part of a reading.

~Rosanne

BrightEye

Well, I know what's baffling me about it. I don't need the cards to tell me that. What I was wondering was whether the cards are just mirroring that back to me or whether there is some more insight to be gained from them. But I agree about the precision of the question. I'm never any good at that, maybe because I usually know my own mind and don't need to ask about my own motivations. I tend to want to know what else there is to know, things that might be helpful but beyond my immediate sense of knowing.

euripides

I'd say the answer depends very much on how you feel the cards work. Personally, I tend to feel they mirror, or open your mind to deep intuition - sometimes that may run counter to your usual way of thinking, but if you're reasonably 'it touch', it may re-inforce what you already know.

If you do feel cards are divinatory, then they could offer insight into the other person's feelings. Though even then, there's the question of how sensitive you really can be to another person.

Perhaps another question might be, how can you best take action to resolve the situation?

BrightEye

euripides said:
Perhaps another question might be, how can you best take action to resolve the situation?
I gave this a go and am pondering more cards.

Aerin

It's a good point in general, I do think that cards tend to tell us what we already know unconsciously which may or may not include "reliable" information about someone else - depending on how intuitive or psychic or whatever you want to call it the reader and/ or the querent is. So I err on the euripides side of things when reading.

I agree that defining the question is often the hardest part of the reading and I like the rewording.

Suzanne A

In this situation I might pull a card specifically asking "What is going on here from X's point of view," or "What is X's point of view." I'm not sure whether I believe that tarot pulls from more than our own unconscious (I'm an agnostic on the existence of a collective unconscious), but even if it's only your own unconscious talking, it may tell you something you don't consciously know when given a very specific question.

SunChariot

BrightEye said:
There's a situation involving myself and another that is baffling me at the moment. To get more insight I asked 'What's going on?' and drew 3 cards. I know what the cards are telling me, but my question is: are they just telling me my side of the story (the cards confirm what I think is going on/ what my intuition is telling me) or are they genuinely giving me insight, ie considering the other party's point of view? Is there any way of knowing?

That all boils down to having faith in Tarot and in your own skills. One thing I do believe fully is that the cards WILL answer whatever question you ask (even if the answer is sometimes that it is not in your best interest to know)...Nevertheless, they WILL answer any question you ask. They will aswer the exact answer you asked and not another one.

EG if you ask "What is going on" in a situation they will tell you accurately what is going on. The right cards WILL come up to answer the question exactly as it was asked. If you ask "What is going on?" in a situation, the cards will not tell you what YOU think is going on or what your intuition thinks is going on. They will tell you the actual truth of what is going on.

Just as if you asked the cards "What does not intuition tell me is going on here?" the card that come up will deal only with your feelings and not with the actual reality of the situation.

The cards that come up will answer exactly what was asked. Although "What is going on?" is actually a bit vague as a question and might benefit from more specifics in the question.

So given that the cards will always answer the exact question asked, which is my belief that I believe strongly, the only potential problem could be in the interpretation. With the impartiality of the reader and their ability to keep their feelings out of the reading. The only way of knowing is to have worked wtih your style of reading for a while and seen it be accurate for you for a long time and to have faith that what you are doing truly works for you and gives you accurate answers. When you have that faith the doubts are gone.That comes from lots of experience and self-correcting when something you tried as a reading method doesn't go as planned. In time you time that faith in your skills as a reader.

Although I try not to read on emotional questions, it's too hard for anyone to stay impatial enough on those.

Babs