question from a beginner

delaneyblues

Ok im leanring with a basic old raider waite deck and im getting it im understanding it so decided to pick up my other deck which is cosmic deck,Now what i have gotten from the cards in my rider waite is completly diffrent to what im getting from the same card in the other pack for example
7 of pentacles (rider waite)- i get materialistic aspects,Hard work and a goal very nearly achieved

So i find the same card from the cosmic pack and i get something completly diffrent,

Is that how diffrent decks work ? so would a diffrent deck give a completly diffrent reading should the same cards have been drawn?

Im confused

Eddie

avoid the confusion

Hi Del,
At the begining of your tarot journey, its best to stick with one deck, get to know it well.
Working with two decks, will confuse you. There are sometimes subtle differences between the decks and sometimes the differences can be bigger.
Don't try to run before you can walk. This really would be asking far too much of yourself.
Forget about other decks and stick with one till you know it inside and out.
Good luck and enjoy!!
Eddie

delaneyblues

Hi thanks for the reply,Im not trying to read the other deck i was just looking at the diffrence in one card which is when i noticed 'wait a minute that acrd doesnt say the same to me' and suddenly thought does every deck tell a diffrent story if you know what i mean

Eddie

delaneyblues said:
Hi thanks for the reply,Im not trying to read the other deck i was just looking at the diffrence in one card which is when i noticed 'wait a minute that acrd doesnt say the same to me' and suddenly thought does every deck tell a diffrent story if you know what i mean

Not exactly different, more like subtle changes, and sometimes only in ceratin cards as oppose to the whole deck.

afrosaxon

delaneyblues said:

yes, every deck is different, even if it is based on the RWS (as most are).

The purpose of creating new decks is to put a different spin on the "traditional" RWS. So yes, you may get different meanings from the same card in different decks...because that's how the authors usually intend it.

Go with your intuition; if the same card in a different deck says something different, then that particular deck is telling you how you should interpret said card in that deck...and that deck only.

Case in point: in a RWS, people tend to interpret the 7 of Cups as being faced with choices (moreso of an emotional nature). In my New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, the 7 Congo [7 of Cups] is interpreted as an emotional connection. That is how I interpet it in the NOVT, but I don't interpret it that way with another deck (such as the Gilded Tarot). And in the Daughters of hte Moon Tarot, the 7 of Cups is interpreted as jealousy; that's how I interpret the card when doing readings with the DOM only.

I hope I'm making sense.

Just my $.02.

T.

Thirteen

delaneyblues said:
Eddie's advice is spot on and here is why. Before I knew the tarot well, I'd look at two cards, as you did, from different decks and the meanings would seem different. 7/Pents in Rider didn't look like 7/Pents in Cosmic. BUT, once I got to know the tarot really well, I began to see what other deck creators were doing with the 7/pents. Sometimes it's a whole other meaning, but often it's not. Sometimes the deck creator is representing the same thing in a different way.

Since I don't have the deck, let's use a card I can view on-line. The 4/Wands. In Rider it's 4 wands holding up a garland; it suggests a party, and the meaning is, in fact, related to weddings. In cosmic it's a woman balancing on her toe with the other leg raised. What do these have in common besides those 4/wands?

A lot as it turns out *IF* you really know what that 4/Wands is all about. It's about a foundation, a place to stand and build upon. It's about having solid plans for the future--but only plans. The thing is not build yet. This is all reflected in the Cosmic Tarot's image. The girl is a living "compass" that a draftsman would use--think of a compass with two points and you'll see what I mean. The spiral in to her position emphasizes this, as if she drew it with the raised foot as she came up on point; the four positions of the wands, the pyramids in the background (geometric shapes that would be used by a draftsman to work out how to build something--they'd use a compass, a triangle, a square, yes?), all emphasize this. She drawing out the plans there for the building of a life--as a builder might plan out and create those pyramids. It's not built yet, but she's pin-pointed, there on her toe, the center. The spot around which the walls can be constructed--or where you'd lay down the bricks that would rise up to that point of the pyramid. All reflect on the meaning of the 4/Wands as drafting the future, as an idea on which you can build upon.

I could go on and on about it.

But if you're a beginner, you're going to miss all of this. Looking between two decks at this point is rather like trying to compare two books after skimming through them, reading only a paragraph here, a page there. You might see some similarities, but you're going to miss a lot of them until you take the time to read both carefully.

When ever I get a new deck--one I know is Rider-Waite based, I go through it very carefully, card by card. And I ask myself, "how is the creator trying to express this meaning--like the meaning of the 4/Wands--which I know so well?" Sometimes I say, "Wow, it's exactly the same, even though the images are very different. What a great and different way to show that meaning!" Sometimes I say, "Ah. To this creator this part of the meaning is more important than this other part." (For example, Cosmic 4/Wands doesn't give the "marriage/celebration" feeling as much as Rider does, yet it still, in that dancer, expresses the joy of establishing a foundation on which to build). And once in a while I say, "Wow. This meaning is completely different."

It all depends on the deck. But you really can't know which it's going to be if you're only casually acquainted with the decks. Get to know one, and the similarities/differences of the other will come clear.

delaneyblues

thanks for such an in depth response.I see what you mean i will continue with the rider deck

thanks again

De x

Sulis

I think the differences are because the meanings of the Cosmic Tarot are Thoth based not Rider-Waite-Smith based....
Different system; slightly different card meanings.

Mellifluous

I wouldn't say every deck is different. It may or may not be. That's one reason why a lot of people like to see the cards online before they buy.

SunChariot

delaneyblues said:
Ok im leanring with a basic old raider waite deck and im getting it im understanding it so decided to pick up my other deck which is cosmic deck,Now what i have gotten from the cards in my rider waite is completly diffrent to what im getting from the same card in the other pack for example
7 of pentacles (rider waite)- i get materialistic aspects,Hard work and a goal very nearly achieved

So i find the same card from the cosmic pack and i get something completly diffrent,

Is that how diffrent decks work ? so would a diffrent deck give a completly diffrent reading should the same cards have been drawn?

Im confused

That depends on how you read. For me yes, different decks give very different answers. That is mainly because I read by analysing the imagery of the cards, and each deck has different artwork and colours and those form the major part of my answer.

Well in the case where you are the type of reader where the same card in different decks speaks differently to you, and that seems to be the case and you seem to be that kind of reader, then the same cards would not come up in each deck to give you an answer. If the unverse knows the asnwer and wants you to see an aspect of it as your answer, then the cards would come up in each deck that would make you see that answer.

And that does not necessarily have to be the same cards in each deck, just the ones that give you the intended answer in each deck.

The last thing I want to say, and to me this is important, is that Tarot is a very individual path. I see a lot of newbies asking things like that, when you asked if that is how different decks work. There is no uniform answer. There are many many ways to read and each has different aspects in it. Just trust your experiences and know that that is how it works for you. You yourself, the individual that is you, gets different answers with different decks.

That is all you need to know, how it works for you. Comparing yourself to other is counterproductive as being a good reader involves finding how things work for you yourself and working with that. Trying to be like someone else is not helpful, you need to find how things work for you and expand on that.

And what you saw in the cards IS your answer, that was the answer the universe sent you. Do your best to have faith in what the cards tell you, that is always the start.

There are my feelings on it, I hope I was able to help some,

Babs