Question...Tarot games???

shamangoddess

I love my cards and tend to fiddle with them when not doing a reading...does anyone know of a solitary game I could play with them instead of fiddling, like solitare or something?

Sophie

You could try creating a mandala or a tree of life with your cards - making this not only a game, but a form of meditation. It's very soothing. You need a large space, because you use all your cards!

PlatinumDove

I was thinking the same thing today Shamangoddess....why not try a regualr game of solitaire with them? Similar to how you would do with a regualr set of playing cards?

shamangoddess

yes, but how would one do that??? major arcana would be out? how would one do the red/black/red thing?

i understood that in the 17 and 18th centuries people did actually play games with tarot deck, but what were they cause I can't find any :(

Ilithiya

I usually leave the Majors in when I play solitaire, and make an additional pile of them as I turn them over, starting with the Fool and going in ascending order. (make sense?)

Poker, too. Ever hear that joke, various forms of "I was playing poker with a tarot deck... got a full house and five people died?" hehe... anyway, in this case a bad hand isn't necessarily - read it. :D Don't really know what else to do with the trumps; I usually pull them out.

Almost any card game can be adapted to tarot, just use a little imagination.

My favorite - Grab a friend, hand them a second deck, and play War. :D

Illy

PlatinumDove

Yeah, leave the Majors in there, use them as a fifth suit. :)

Sophie

shamangoddess said:
i understood that in the 17 and 18th centuries people did actually play games with tarot deck, but what were they cause I can't find any :(
People still play tarot - it's a very popular game. You can find the rules on the net. But it's played with partners - and usually, different cards than divination (nowadays). Otherwise, the world authority on tarot games past and present is Michael Dummett - he might even have some solitary game to suggest.

edited to add - I see Mabuse has suggested one!

shamangoddess

thank you for that link!!!

*ponders in her head as she goes in circles....adapting card games to tarot...create a tarot deck...lists of decks she wants....
GETS DIZZY AND FALLS DOWN!!!*

PlatinumDove

I played a game of solitaire today with my Hanson Roberts as I was waiting for my So to pick me up from work. It's amazing the cards I've never drawn in readings.

Then, as I was finished the game, I picked up the pile of Majors, then left each of the four piles of minors, studied each of the kings, wrote down similarities and differences in the cards, and went down the line for each of those till the aces.