Questionaire for a newly created tarot deck

Uma

Hello forum friends...

To borrow this idea of the questionaire from Rogan but for a different purpose...

I've created a new kind of tarot deck and manuscript which is now being seriously considered for publication by a major tarot publisher (AGM Muller). They've promised me a concrete answer this December (2007). (Because it's in a pre-negotiation stage, I wouldn't post images or give away details on the Creation Board at this time.) Just to say that they number 78 with major and minor arcana like the Rider Waite but are radically different to anything that's been done before (as far as I know).

In the meantime I'm rewriting part of the manuscript to go with the cards to make it better. I've invested three years in researching the concepts for these cards, writing and illustrating them but am having a hard time knowing how to tailor the rewrite to suit my future customers! So this is my bit of marketing research which if I had done this a logical way would have been done before the cards were created in the first place...well better late than never...

So if you would kindly put some thought into these questions, I'll have a better idea how it should go...

YOUR FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

1. Name (Or nickname, if you prefer...)

2. Age

3. Are you a professional tarot card reader (if yes, how many years’ experience)?

4. If yes what kinds of questions do your clients typically ask? (If not what kinds of things do you typically ask?)

5. How would you say tarot works or how would you define what it’s for?

6. What attracts you to a tarot deck (enough to make you want to buy it) and also what turns you off it?

7. How do you usually purchase your cards (ex. trade fair, on the internet, browsing in a shop…)?

8. Do you read the book that goes with it?

9. Do you prefer an accompanying book that goes into a lot of detail about the cards, the whole concept and what went into creating them – or just the basic “how to” (what attracts and what repels you in the book)?

10. What does the word “spiritual” mean to you?

11. What kind of religious language inspires you and/or what kind turns you off?

12. If the book/deck seems very “spiritual” or deals with self-transformation how would you react to it?

13. Would you say you are an intuitive person or do you rely on other people’s intuition?

14. Do you or would you attend workshops on self-development (if yes, what kind)?

Skysteel

Hi, Uma.
- :)

Skysteel

2. Age

3. Are you a professional tarot card reader (if yes, how many years’ experience)?
No.

4. If yes what kinds of questions do your clients typically ask? (If not what kinds of things do you typically ask?)
What kind of day has it been?
What's on my mind?

The Tarot works by stimulating and elucidating the unconscious, useful for personal-exploration, self-development, meditation, and providing a set of standard symbols to communicate insights in those areas.

6. What attracts you to a tarot deck (enough to make you want to buy it) and also what turns you off it?
Aside from my sense of aesthetics, consistency among the cards (card numbers in the same place, same font for titles, same colour borders, etc.).

7. How do you usually purchase your cards (ex. trade fair, on the internet, browsing in a shop…)?
The Internet.

I've never bought a Tarot deck with an accompanying book, but I imagine I'd read one.

9. Do you prefer an accompanying book that goes into a lot of detail about the cards, the whole concept and what went into creating them – or just the basic “how to” (what attracts and what repels you in the book)?
I'm fairly indifferent - provided the book conforms somewhat to my conception of Tarot.

Pertaining to the contemplation of reality; the branch of philosophy commonly referred to as 'metaphysics'.

11. What kind of religious language inspires you and/or what kind turns you off?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'religious language'.

12. If the book/deck seems very “spiritual” or deals with self-transformation how would you react to it?
That depends on its conception of spirituality.

13. Would you say you are an intuitive person or do you rely on other people’s intuition?
I rely on other people's intuition more than I rely on my own.

14. Do you or would you attend workshops on self-development (if yes, what kind)?
I would, probably ones with spiritual overtones.

NightQueen

NightQueen

2. Age

yes 15 yrs experience

love questions, family/marital issues, financial issues,general readings

Tarot is used to uncover the secrets of life that are awaiting us, tarot is used for guidance, tarot is used to make us aware of things going on, tarot can be used to alter your life

I don't buy white or light bordered or background cards as they distract me, I like black backgrounds and borders and solid pictures the deck must be visually beautiful for me to want to buy it and I also go buy the feeling the enery I get from the deck as i hold or shuffle it while deciding

net/shop

yes

it's nice to have a book to add to the bookcase:)
open mindedness realising beyond this life exsists another, understanding the power of yourself and your mind and the ability to alter our lives through a higher energy

11. What kind of religious language inspires you and/or what kind turns you off?Wicca is what I live by

I also say it depends on which type of spirituallity

I would say I am an intuitive person

I have and would again

Aunia Kahn

YOUR FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

1. Name: Aunia Kahn

2. Age: 29

3. Are you a professional tarot card reader (if yes, how many years’ experience)? No

4. If yes what kinds of questions do your clients typically ask? (If not what kinds of things do you typically ask?) N/A

I use it for personal use mostly, a way to grow as a person.

6. What attracts you to a tarot deck (enough to make you want to buy it) and also what turns you off it? I like decks that have a good feel, it is hard to say aesthetically what works, I just know when I see it, or feel it. "come buy me lady"

7. How do you usually purchase your cards (ex. trade fair, on the internet, browsing in a shop…)? Shops, and EBay

Always

Details please

In touch with something that is unknown, and in touch with you - both together in balance.

11. What kind of religious language inspires you and/or what kind turns you off? Not sure what you mean.

12. If the book/deck seems very “spiritual” or deals with self-transformation how would you react to it? I would be fine because that is what the decks purpose is then that is what it is.

13. Would you say you are an intuitive person or do you rely on other people’s intuition? I am very intune :)

14. Do you or would you attend workshops on self-development (if yes, what kind)? Certainly. Would depend on what was their being offered.

VGimlet

Barb or Barbra

2. Age

No. I read for other people - I don't take money, so I won't call myself professional. I have been reading for other people (not counting family) since I was about 12.

They will either not ask anything - and I will just do a general reading, or they have specific questions about an upcoming event, or relationship.

For me it's a door to intuition, to give someone information they might want or need to know. I think of it as a kind of "heads up" facilitator. I also will sometimes use it to look a little deeper into my personal path.

The art has to appeal to me. The theme or idea has to appeal to me. I have very eclectic taste. I can't think of any one thing that turns me off.

I use the internet for the most part, however I will buy from my local shops to support local esoteric shops. However, I find most of my purchases online.

I usually skim the book. I prefer to read intuitively, however I might read the book if I find the deck too opaque, or if I'm curious about the artist.

I am interested in how the deck was created, and the concept and inspirations - especially with an innovative deck I think it's helpful. However I dislike it when someone uses a book to try and convince me the spiritual path they follow should become my path.

A belief in things we cannot see or quantify - especially the kinds of things we take on faith, that are metaphysical in nature.

Religious language of any kind turns me off. I don't personally equate religion with spirituality.

That would very much depend on what was meant by spiritual. If the goal of the deck was to turn me into someone who held the same beliefs as the creater, I woudn't buy the deck.

I am intuitive, and I've learned to trust my intuition, my family and friends trust it as well.

I have in the past - Lou Tice (my work paid). I don't know that I would attend any more - I find them mostly snake oil.

gregory

Uma said:
gregory

.2. Age 63

No

n/a

An aid to understanding

It could be almost anything - I have to say if the death card annoys me that is a huge turn off.....

Mostly on line.....

Usually, in the end, but not at once on the whole.

I like to know what went into the creation, but I don't generally like a book that goes hugely into meanings.... that's just because of the way I read though. Having been lucky enough to have seen your cards - I might want to read more about them, as they are so different.... :D

I will have to come back to this one !

On the whole the concept of religion turns me off in the first place. Language inspires if it is well written and strikes a chord. Original even more so - and I can't say what is original for me, or that would make it not so - of you see what I mean.

I would probably find I didn't get it. These things are so very personal.....

Yes and yes. Sorry ;)

I don't; I might, but probably wouldn't.

tabi

Tabitha (tabi)

2. Age

No (but have read for 13 plus years for other people I simply don't get paid)

(business, relationship aspects on those readings mostly)

How it works: To get a deeper understanding of the things that you may or may not see. It is a glance into what is floating around you both in your mind and fate in general.

I don't like decks that are too busy and look like there is a ton of different things going on. A simply image can hold a lot of detail and NOT overpower which is my main objection to some tarot decks. And why I have given some away.

All the above...I'm not picky. ;)

Yes I read it unless it is just bad then I put it away somewhere.

I personally like books that go into why there are certain symbols on the cards, especially if it is a way to link the meaning better.

A deeper sense and meaning of the Divine both within and without of yourself.

Most religious langauge is a turn off, mostly it seems to be forcing that person's view on you.

Ughh...I would probably avoid it, I don't have any and really don't want any. Probably why I'm still confused on why everyone is so taken with the Golden Tarot.

Both, sometimes it is me and sometimes I am able to pick up on the other person. I think it really depends on what is coming at me at the time.

14. Do you or would you attend workshops on self-development (if yes, what kind)?[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt it, mostly cuz I get bored so quickly when someone else is talking at length that my mind goes off in its own thing. :|

Lexie

Alexandra

2. Age

No

Tarot means meditation, understanding ourselves and others and developing our intuition.

What attracts me most is the artwork of course. I also like anything celtic, norse, arthurian or pagan ( but I have no idea why this happens)

Internet

Of course, always! But I don't always use the books for my readings, I usually read the cards intuitively.

I prefer a book with A LOT of informations and details, but not about creating the card,about the meaning of the card, persons and places pictured, the mythology/legends... My English is not that good, so to make you understand my favorite book is the "Keeper of Words" from the "Arthurian Legend" because of it's informations about King Arthur's Legend.

Spirutual means intuition, communication with things we can't see or explain with logic... anything metaphysical.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

I would like that.

I think I'm an intuitive person.

14. Do you or would you attend workshops on self-development (if yes, what kind)?[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think so.

I hope I've helped somehow, good luck with your deck :)

ninashita

Ninashita

2. Age
17 -breaking the pattern here =P

Nop - I'm just starting to learn, tho I've done readings for random people at school.

General if they have no idea what they would like to know, or are skeptic or un-trusting. If not, relationships, family, studies, relationships and "does he like me?" (note that I ask all of the above too haha)

As guidance. you unconciously pick the card that carries a message that your subconcious is trying to get across to you. It's a way of understanding the "energy" that goes with every action, and of understanding your situation and yourself much better. In a way I think that everything the card tells us, we already know, but the are like a translator going from subconcious language to conscious language so we can decode the message to the best of our ability.

I'm artistically inclined, so the craftsmanship of the deck is highly important. BI also like to look to how the cards are drawn in search for details and symbols that I might connect with.
The only thing so far that has thrown me off from tarot decks are photographed and computer-generated ones - even if its just the coloring. They don't work for me.

I may check online to see if a specific deck I wanted is available at a nearby store - if not I just browse through them.

At one point or another - just to get the author's view on the cards, plus I might gain a new idea that I haven't thought of before.

I like books that go into detail. As an artist myself, if I can find a book in which the artist explores the task of creating the deck I'm fascinated. Also I like to read more in-depth explanations or ideas rather on cards that go beyond keywords.

Something beyond normal consciousness, like the underlaying principle behind it all.

i was raised a Roman Catholic, but turned away from that path mainly because of how politically organized it is. I treasure Jesus and his teachings, but the bureaucracy and the whole idea of "sin" and putting guilt on people doesn't fit well with me. I like to make my own decisions as to what is acceptable and what isn't, and I like to take my own life in my hands. I turned into wicca and neo-paganism as of lately, but I'm still researching different beliefs so I can generate my own set based on what feels right to me.

I'm pretty sure I'd be at least intrigued by it.

Some and some. I consider myself quite intuitive, but hearing what others have to say sometimes helps me recognize when I'm being biased rather than intuitive.

The last one i attended was one i was *almost* forced into by school, and I found parts of it useful but not all. If it were a workshop on say, tarot or meditation or some kind of "disciple" like that, then probably.

Good luck with your new deck =)

rwcarter

Rodney

2. Age

No

Tarot is a tool that has many uses - divination, self-improvement, meditation, pathworking, goal setting, study and other uses that aren't coming to mind right at this moment. Tarot uses a set of images to help those who consult it find the answer(s) they are looking for. I don't believe that Tarot gives answers so much as it helps to find answers.

First and foremost, the art must appeal to me on some level. The cards could be the most beautiful things I've ever seen or they could be so ugly that they become pretty. If the art doesn't speak to me, then the cards won't speak to me, so why should I get that particular deck?

Another thing will make me want to buy a deck (and I know I'm in the minority) is if it shakes up the "traditional" tarot foundation through either reordering the cards and/or adding additional cards.

I have a number of themes running through my collection, so if a deck fits one of the existing themes in my collection, I'm more likely to buy it even if I'm not all that fond of the art.

A fourth thing that will make me want to buy a deck is if I feel that the author/artist actually has something new and/or different that they're trying to say.

Any way I can get my grubby little hands on them!:laugh: In the past couple of years my primary outlet has been eBay, although I have also bought from local metaphysical shops, chain bookstores, used bookstores, online bookstores, direct from artists' websites and through the trading forum here at AT.

I'll thumb through whatever book comes with the deck (be it little or companion). When the time is right for me to begin studying the deck, I definitely read the book.

Yes! Lately those are the only decks that I've been studying. I know a lot of people don't care for the companion book, but I like them for the simple fact that they let me know what the author/artist intended each card to show. Once I have that information, I can then decide whether to go with that info, whether to augment it with my own ideas and experiences or whether to completely discard it and use my own ideas and experiences instead.

That said, if the companion book is just there to say there's a companion book (i.e., it's not worth the paper it's printed on), then don't bother with a companion book. Some companion books are worth their weight in gold because they give the artist's take on what they intended each image in the card to mean or imply ("A" suggests "B" which in turn is associated with "C"), because they discuss the mood they were trying to convey with each card, and because they explain the associated systems (astrology, Kaballah, numerology, etc) that have been incorporated into the cards. Other companion books are little more than glorified LWBs that only really differ through the inclusion of a reproduction of the card along with basically the same text that was included in the LWB.

Spiritual is something that speaks to my soul. It speaks of/to who I am or who I want to be at my core. Spiritual doesn't speak to the everyday (does he love me? what can I do to get that promotion? why is this relationship so difficult? etc); instead spiritual speaks to such questions as how can I be a better person? what is my purpose in this life?

I'm not religious. While I do believe in a greater power, I don't believe in the greater power as espoused by any organized religion. So any language that closely follows any of the organized religions wouldn't necessarily turn me off, although it may stop me from purchasing that material or completely discarding the religious language in my use of the material.

It really depends on the art and the message. Generally, I'm receptive to that subject matter.

Given those two choices, I would have to say I'm intuitive.

I'm not adverse to attending such a workshop. Whether or not I would is dependent on a number of factors - cost, location, timing, subject matter, etc.

Rodney