Questions

semira

When I want to read a spread ,I don't know How I should start the story for someone?!
I 'd rather use celtic cross spread.
My tarot deck is Thoth.
How can I undrestand that the client believes me?!Most clients become sure when reader tell somthings about their past.When I tell somthing that they know ,they often believe that whole of the story is true.

Unfortunately I'm not good at english ,I hope you can undrestand me!

Moonbow

Hello semira, welcome to Aeclectic.

I was going to point you to a specific thread which might help but looking through the Table of Contents there seem to be quite a few with advice so it might be worth having a read of them.

My own view is that whether the client 'believes' you or not should not be the issue or the purpose of reading. You can only tell what you see in the cards and then narrate it to them. Their 'belief' of it is something you cannot control.

Moonbow*

Thirteen

semira said:
When I want to read a spread ,I don't know How I should start the story for someone?!
I 'd rather use celtic cross spread.
My tarot deck is Thoth.
Always start with the question. The question that the client asks is your guide. If they're asking about their love-life, focus on that. If on their career, focus on that.

And the Celtic Cross is made to help you along. It starts with "This crosses you" Right? So that's where you start. You say, "This is what is interfering with your love life..." And you go on from there according to the Celtic Cross. The spread, itself, tells you each point that you need to make in the order you need to make it.

Yes?

How can I undrestand that the client believes me?!
Some will, some won't. As a reader you are going to have to deal with skeptics. That is just how it is. Your job is to tell the client what you see, and to use what they tell you to see more. It doesn't matter if they believe you or not.

But if they've come to you for advice, they will likely want to believe you. If, however, some woman forces her un-believing boyfriend to do a reading, you can refuse. You can say, "I never do readings for people who don't really want them." Meaning, people who want to believe as compared to those who don't want to believe.

Does that answer the question?

Foucault

Be true unto yourself, semira. Thirteen is quite correct that the best place to start is with the question. Again, Thirteen is correct about skeptics; we've all had someone say "well, you're the psychic - you tell me."

Don't worry about proving yourself. Do what you do, and let the querent make up their own mind about how your reading style fits with their outlook on life.

semira

Thank you for information.
Actually my problem is Question!
Most of my clients don't ask me any question så I have to guess myself.
They think a good reader can guess anything!
Should I ask them what is their problem?!

Thirteen

semira said:
Yes, you should ask them.

Tell them that though you are an excellent reader, using your reading power to find out their problem takes more time. It's like going to an accountant with all your financial information on disorganized scraps of paper. The accountant can organize those papers for you, but it will take more time for him to do this. If the papers are already organized, he can get right to work on your finances.

Ask them: Do they want to pay you for the extra time it will take for you to discover their problem? Or do they want you to get right to work solving their problem?

Tell them that if they tell you the problem, and work out a question to ask the cards, then they will not only save money, but get a better and faster reading.

rwcarter

semira said:
Hi semira,

Your problem is people who think that you should be able to guess what their question is. Got it. Explain to them that you haven't developed that particular skill yet, but if they at least tell you what area (love, work, home, etc) their question is about (whether or not they actually ask you a question), that will help you get better at judging what area a question is about without being told.

If they still refuse to provide any information, you have to be really general in what you say until you can get some kind of visual clue of how the spread is developing (prob the first 6 cards in the Celtic Cross). Look for repeating suits or number clustering, etc.

And don't be afraid to go back and reinterpret cards when you have more information. If you see the Lovers in the Crossing position in a CC and initially think it's about a love relationship, but the next few cards have a preponderance of Wands, you should feel free to say something like, "I see a lot of Wands, which lead me to think your question might be about your job or a business. Looking back at the Lovers as your Crossing Card, do you have some decision to make about employment or your business?"

And, as usual, Thirteen is quite correct. Tell them that you're there to help them and the more information you have, the better (and faster) you can help them. As we say here in America, "Time is money." If you are reading for a fee, then you should have two different rate schedules: a flat rate for clients who provide you with a question and a per minute rate for clients who don't.

Rodney

Thirteen

rwcarter said:
If you are reading for a fee, then you should have two different rate schedules: a flat rate for clients who provide you with a question and a per minute rate for clients who don't.
Ooo! Good one! I like this idea! Very smart.

I, myself, haven't any patience with people who want me to do all the work. It's their problem and if they want a solution they can darn well help me find that solution. You don't go to a doctor and say, "guess what problems I'm having!" and make him guess because, hey, he's supposed to be a good doctor and he ought to know just by looking at you. You go to the doctor and say, "I'm having this pain here, and I get tired and out of breath...." And that helps the doctor figure out what's wrong with you and how to make you better.

Foucault

The doctor analogy's a good one, Thirteen. I have no problem with people wanting a "General" reading - I guess that's the equivalent of a general health check-up.

One of the biggest problems is when the querent has a vague idea of what they want to know, but doesn't know how to phrase the question. There are plenty of threads in these forums about how to phrase a question. For example, have a look at the "Asking the Question" section in this post:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=77111

We can be of great assistance to the querent in getting the question right before we start. A few well-placed questions from us can help us find the right thing to ask the cards.

semira

Thank you
These answers are very useful and valuable for me.
I thought that good readers had maybe special ability !But now I can continue to learn and read more.