Quint/Sum Cards

nh786

Hi..

Just wanted to know if, when counting the cards in a reading to get to the sum/quint card, do we add the 'Aces' too? That is the way i have been taught and have been doing it forever but some people do not.. just wanted to know what is the right way.

Apart from that i know we dont add anything for Page, Knight, King, Queen because there are no numbers but when we add the cards and i believe if it comes to 22 does that represent the 'Fool' card? As there is no other way we can get to the fool and i was told that this is the case.

Would be grateful for any clarifications, thank you x

GoodnessGracious

Hi..

Just wanted to know if, when counting the cards in a reading to get to the sum/quint card, do we add the 'Aces' too? That is the way i have been taught and have been doing it forever but some people do not.. just wanted to know what is the right way.

Apart from that i know we dont add anything for Page, Knight, King, Queen because there are no numbers but when we add the cards and i believe if it comes to 22 does that represent the 'Fool' card? As there is no other way we can get to the fool and i was told that this is the case.

Would be grateful for any clarifications, thank you x

Hmm, isn't it so that the number 22 would be counted as 2 + 2 = 4 (Emperor)? Everything above 21, you add the two numbers together.. That's at least how I've interpreted it :p. Wouldn't the Fool be the sum card if all the cards in the reading are Courts & Aces? Since they have no numbers..

nh786

Hmm, isn't it so that the number 22 would be counted as 2 + 2 = 4 (Emperor)? Everything above 21, you add the two numbers together.. That's at least how I've interpreted it :p. Wouldn't the Fool be the sum card if all the cards in the reading are Courts & Aces? Since they have no numbers..

Hey thanks for the reply :)

Yes normally you do count the numbers until you get a number matching a Major Arcana card, so you keep reducing until you get to one. I understand that 2 + 2 = 4 :p but then how would you get to the Fool. It cant be that you only get the Fool in readings with just court cards.

Are you saying that you count the Aces or not? Aces are 1 so surely they should be counted too right :/

dancing_moon

When I count the Quint, Aces = 1, Courts = 0, and the sum 22 = Fool.

However, it doesn't mean this is the only or the most 'correct' way to do it. I've seen people count Pages = 11, Knights = 12, Queens = 13, Kings = 14, and reduce the number to a Major by subtracting 22 from all the numbers over 22. What matters, IMHO, is that you choose one way and stick to it. :)

GoodnessGracious

Hey thanks for the reply :)

Yes normally you do count the numbers until you get a number matching a Major Arcana card, so you keep reducing until you get to one. I understand that 2 + 2 = 4 :p but then how would you get to the Fool. It cant be that you only get the Fool in readings with just court cards.

Are you saying that you count the Aces or not? Aces are 1 so surely they should be counted too right :/

There isn't really just 1 right way to do it. Some people don't count Ace's and see them as numberless, while other people see them as 1's. Some people don't even count the Majors, only the Pipes. One person might see 22 and up as The Fool, while another person counts it as 2 + 2 which equals the Emperor. There are different methods and you should do what feels best for you.

Farzon

When I sum up I count aces as one. If the sum is between 11 and 21 I get two quint cards. Of course this means you will have very fixed meanings.... For example 13 will be Death and the Emperor, so there is always a tendency of rearranging yourself. You won't get Death alone.
(This won't trouble a lot of people, though...)

But I use Quint cards only when the reading itself remains very unspecific, even after looking at the elements. It's something like my last exit-strategy.

nh786

Thank you

Thanks everyone for the help :) i really got confused and thought i was doing something wrong, but i guess its the same with reading cards, whatever feels right!

Thanks a lot :)