Quotes that 'hit the spot'

linnie

"Speak fairly, love widely, build bravely, witness humbly".

Author unknown. Found in my father's childhood autograph book.

The 'witness humbly' phrase might erk some people, but to me, it simply refers to embracing a state of humility, rather than assuming pride.

And I lenjoy the words which form my signature, too. :)

gregory

It's a bit silly, but I took this from a mod on another forum as my sig in yet another:

How you choose to wear your panties, twisted or not, is your own business.

I think it sums up quite a lot of stuff :D

JadoreHauteCouture

some of my quotes ive been collecting:

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen."
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
Arthur Miller

Jehovah's witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. I guess they dont appreciate random people coming up to their doors....

If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.
John Steinbeck

Everybody has a heart. Except some people.
Bette Davis

I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time.
Marilyn Monroe

Men are so willing to respect anything that bores them.
Marilyn Monroe

I noted that people are happy here in India. When I went back home, people had everything in the materialistic sense and were surrounded with abundance, but they were not happy.
Goldie Hawn

Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.
Paulo Coelho

If you start by promising what you don't even have yet, you'll lose your desire to work towards getting it.
Paulo Coelho

A man can't ride your back unless it's bent.
Martin Luther King, Jr

Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.
Sigmund Freud

This place certainly reeks of hospitality and good cheer, or maybe it's this cheese.”
Jean harlow

I'm tired and nervous and I'm in America. Here you don't know that you live.
Greta Garbo

A man would prefer to come home to an unmade bed and a happy woman than to a neatly made bed and an angry woman.
Marlene Dietrich

How do you know love is gone? If you said that you would be there at seven and you get there by nine, and he or she has not called the police yet - it's gone.
Marlene Dietrich

If it aint broke, dont fix it

Live your life outside the box, because when you die you're going into one.

Fabulous comment on th US economy
the true balance sheet of US investment banks
on the left side is nothing right and on the right side is nothing left :)

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way."
— John Steinbeck

If you don't have a hater you must not be doing something right

"A man so painfully in love is capable of self-torture beyond belief."
— John Steinbeck (East of Eden)

"We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the neverending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is."

"I am happy to report that in the war between reality and romance, reality is not the stronger."
— John Steinbeck (Travels with Charley: In Search of America)

"People like you to be something, preferably what they are."

Kazakh proverbs
The fatherless orphan lacks honor; the motherless orphan is a sorrowful orphan.

You cannot give a chicken enough food to satisfy it; you cannot give a girl enough clothes to satisfy her.

You can kick your own child and he will not leave; you can bind another’s child and he will not stay put.

The child learns to walk by falling down.

The home with a child is a bazaar; the childless home is a grave.

From good parents a bad child can come – one who doesn't offer a cup of tea; from bad parents a good child can come – if someone tells you this you will hardly believe it.

No matter how much you train the wolf, he still looks at the mountains and howls.

The colt can surpass the horse; the child can surpass his father.

You can train a puppy and it will later bite you in the calf; you can train a blind man how to shoot a gun and he will later kill you.

The child who does not cry is not given the breast.

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.
Charles Caleb Colton

education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.

"Strength lies in differences, not in similarities"
-Stephen Covey

“It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.”

“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
- Tom Bodett

“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”
- Walter Bagehot

A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.
John Steinbeck

It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.
John Steinbeck

It is true that we are weak and sick and ugly and quarrelsome but if that is all we ever were, we would millenniums ago have disappeared from the face of the earth.
John Steinbeck

Man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it.
John Steinbeck

Time is the only critic without ambition.
John Steinbeck

We spend our time searching for security and hate it when we get it.
John Steinbeck

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.
Bette Davis

An affair now and then is good for a marriage. It adds spice, stops it from getting boring... I ought to know.
Bette Davis

Basically, I believe the world is a jungle, and if it's not a bit of a jungle in the home, a child cannot possibly be fit to enter the outside world.
Bette Davis

I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packs more sex than two naked bodies in bed.
Bette Davis

In this business, until you're known as a monster you're not a star.
Bette Davis

People often become actresses because of something they dislike about themselves: They pretend they are someone else.
Bette Davis

Strong women only marry weak men.
Bette Davis

The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Bette Davis

When a man gives his opinion he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion she's a bitch.
Bette Davis

Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies.
Bette Davis

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night.
Marilyn Monroe

Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
Marilyn Monroe

If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere.
Marilyn Monroe

It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far.
Marilyn Monroe

It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on.
Marilyn Monroe

It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You're not alone.
Marilyn Monroe

Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere.
Paulo Coelho

You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It's just a matter of paying attention to this miracle.
Paulo Coelho

America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
Sigmund Freud

Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.
Marlene Dietrich

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.
Robert Frost

If you wish to be loved, show more of your faults than your virtues.
Robert Bulwer-Lytton

An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.
Andy Warhol

A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

A right delayed is a right denied.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.
Princess Diana

The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.
Princess Diana

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mohandas Gandhi

A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it.
Frank Howard Clark

A hug is like a boomerang - you get it back right away.
Bil Keane

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.
Ingrid Bergman

A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.
Thomas Carlyle

haleyw

some of my quotes ive been collecting:

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen."
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
Arthur Miller

Jehovah's witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. I guess they dont appreciate random people coming up to their doors....

If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.
John Steinbeck

Everybody has a heart. Except some people.
Bette Davis

I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time.
Marilyn Monroe

Men are so willing to respect anything that bores them.
Marilyn Monroe

I noted that people are happy here in India. When I went back home, people had everything in the materialistic sense and were surrounded with abundance, but they were not happy.
Goldie Hawn

Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.
Paulo Coelho

If you start by promising what you don't even have yet, you'll lose your desire to work towards getting it.
Paulo Coelho

A man can't ride your back unless it's bent.
Martin Luther King, Jr

Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.
Sigmund Freud

This place certainly reeks of hospitality and good cheer, or maybe it's this cheese.”
Jean harlow

I'm tired and nervous and I'm in America. Here you don't know that you live.
Greta Garbo

A man would prefer to come home to an unmade bed and a happy woman than to a neatly made bed and an angry woman.
Marlene Dietrich

How do you know love is gone? If you said that you would be there at seven and you get there by nine, and he or she has not called the police yet - it's gone.
Marlene Dietrich

If it aint broke, dont fix it

Live your life outside the box, because when you die you're going into one.

Fabulous comment on th US economy
the true balance sheet of US investment banks
on the left side is nothing right and on the right side is nothing left :)

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way."
— John Steinbeck

If you don't have a hater you must not be doing something right

"A man so painfully in love is capable of self-torture beyond belief."

"We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the neverending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is."

"I am happy to report that in the war between reality and romance, reality is not the stronger."
— John Steinbeck (Travels with Charley: In Search of America)

"People like you to be something, preferably what they are."

Kazakh proverbs
The fatherless orphan lacks honor; the motherless orphan is a sorrowful orphan.

You cannot give a chicken enough food to satisfy it; you cannot give a girl enough clothes to satisfy her.

You can kick your own child and he will not leave; you can bind another’s child and he will not stay put.

The child learns to walk by falling down.

The home with a child is a bazaar; the childless home is a grave.

From good parents a bad child can come – one who doesn't offer a cup of tea; from bad parents a good child can come – if someone tells you this you will hardly believe it.

No matter how much you train the wolf, he still looks at the mountains and howls.

The colt can surpass the horse; the child can surpass his father.

You can train a puppy and it will later bite you in the calf; you can train a blind man how to shoot a gun and he will later kill you.

The child who does not cry is not given the breast.

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.
Charles Caleb Colton

education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.

"Strength lies in differences, not in similarities"
-Stephen Covey

“It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.”

“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
- Tom Bodett

“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”
- Walter Bagehot

A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.
John Steinbeck

It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.
John Steinbeck

It is true that we are weak and sick and ugly and quarrelsome but if that is all we ever were, we would millenniums ago have disappeared from the face of the earth.
John Steinbeck

Man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it.
John Steinbeck

Time is the only critic without ambition.
John Steinbeck

We spend our time searching for security and hate it when we get it.
John Steinbeck

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.
Bette Davis

An affair now and then is good for a marriage. It adds spice, stops it from getting boring... I ought to know.
Bette Davis

Basically, I believe the world is a jungle, and if it's not a bit of a jungle in the home, a child cannot possibly be fit to enter the outside world.
Bette Davis

I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packs more sex than two naked bodies in bed.
Bette Davis

In this business, until you're known as a monster you're not a star.
Bette Davis

People often become actresses because of something they dislike about themselves: They pretend they are someone else.
Bette Davis

Strong women only marry weak men.
Bette Davis

The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Bette Davis

When a man gives his opinion he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion she's a bitch.
Bette Davis

Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies.
Bette Davis

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night.
Marilyn Monroe

Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
Marilyn Monroe

If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere.
Marilyn Monroe

It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far.
Marilyn Monroe

It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on.
Marilyn Monroe

It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You're not alone.
Marilyn Monroe

Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere.
Paulo Coelho

You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It's just a matter of paying attention to this miracle.
Paulo Coelho

America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
Sigmund Freud

Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.
Marlene Dietrich

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.
Robert Frost

If you wish to be loved, show more of your faults than your virtues.
Robert Bulwer-Lytton

An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.
Andy Warhol

A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

A right delayed is a right denied.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.
Princess Diana

The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.
Princess Diana

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mohandas Gandhi

A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it.
Frank Howard Clark

A hug is like a boomerang - you get it back right away.
Bil Keane

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.
Ingrid Bergman

A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.
Thomas Carlyle

Love a lot of these. Especially - It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on.
Marilyn Monroe

The one that resonates the most and really hits the spot for me, is - If you wish to be loved, show more of your faults than your virtues.
Robert Bulwer-Lytton

I've worried about the way I've acted towards some people in the past, when I haven't shown the best of my personality and this just sums it all up and made me feel a whole lot better about things.

Thank you.

Milfoil

The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much.
William Hazlitt

Yup, that just about sums it up. :)

Lewen

This one has me thinking a lot lately, especially since I'm going through a few undesirable things at the moment.

"It is only but a moment, not the rest of your life"--Unknown.

That little sentence packs a punch and helps me to remember that nothing is forever so make every moment count. I can choose to change my perspective, even if I can't change my circumstances at the moment.

Milfoil

Absolutely.

The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another. -
William James

PAMUYA

I have been meditating on this for awhile, don't know from where it came, or who wrote it:

"Be willing to surrender what you are,
For what you can become"

Annabelle

I don't know who originally wrote this one, but I've seen it online recently and it really struck me:

Don't let your struggle become your identity.

Moonbow

'There's no need for revenge... Karma will get the bastards anyway' - Ajahn Brahm