Reading for people of different cultures.

magpie9

Splungeman said:
SO...perhaps the Mexican view of these things is more complex than we have so far discussed?

I don't see wearing a crucifix and going to mass and considering oneself a Christian to be any barrier to reading tarot and doing Bruja bizniz. It certainly isn't here, in New Mexico. In the southwest there is a melding of cultures, especially on a religious level. Just as European Catholicism ended up incorporating local pagan rituals and holidays and practices into everyday and seasonal practice, it happened here with the various Native American cultures and religions. They co-exist, side by side, and are not mutually exclusive.
So I don't really get your comment about "more complex". Of course it's more complex. What's your point?

greenbeans

lilangel09 said:
After being in the UK for a few days, I worry I won't be able to understand them or they won't be able to understand me because of our accents.

Oh yes...this can be a problem especially as there are so many accents to get used to here in the UK! Never mind colloquialisms... Hopefully things will get easier as time goes on. May I ask whereabouts in the UK you are staying?

Elnor

Here in London there is a very large Indian community, and they take readings very seriously... In magazines like "AsianBride" fortunetellers take out full-page ads.

I've done several readings for girls from India, and I've learned that they want definite and specific facts- it can be very difficult. I did a reading at a psychic fair for one such client, and she got very cross with me because I couldn't tell her how her current relationship was going to work out, (she wanted marriage and nothing less!)

Language can throw up other interesting situations, too- at another event I did a reading for one rather bemused man whose new wife dragged him over to me for a reading- he didn't speak hardly any English, so she acted as translator.
Her in-laws weren't treating her too well, (I learned from the reading I had done for her earlier) so I would have loved to have known what sort of spin she was putting on his cards as I explained them to her!

(Please note! I usually wouldn't read under such circumstances, but this was at a public 'family' event organised by a London council- so I just sort of had to do little readings for anyone passing by who fancied having one; had quite a few requests for winning lottery numbers!... definitely a good learning experience. :eek:)

elnor

HearthCricket

We have a high Chinese and Indian population, here, as well as many people from Russia and Romania. Yes, the people from India take their tarot readings very seriously and ask a lot of questions. They seem fairly open to whatever deck I use, even one with lots of Christian symbols because they somehow relate to it. I have 2 Chinese clients (China and Tawaiin) and they prefer a more low key reading with gentle decks like oriental, fairy or floral themed decks. At first they seem to take everything with a grain of salt, but I am finding that they are just very private about their readings and are not going to bring it up again and get all chatty about it. Jewish clients are very interested in the symbols and many have a leaning toward the Egyptian themed decks. I think it is important to be open to each person's faith and belief system, use an appropriate deck when possible that may speak more to them than others, and enjoy each other's cultures outlook on the readings and learn from them. I do agree that language can be tricky. Try not to use any slang or catchy phrases which they make take literally. And be very open to allowing them a little more time if language is a problem. Let them ask questions so they go away feeling more confident that they have a full understanding of what you have just said. :)

Splungeman

magpie9 said:
I don't see wearing a crucifix and going to mass and considering oneself a Christian to be any barrier to reading tarot and doing Bruja bizniz. It certainly isn't here, in New Mexico. In the southwest there is a melding of cultures, especially on a religious level. Just as European Catholicism ended up incorporating local pagan rituals and holidays and practices into everyday and seasonal practice, it happened here with the various Native American cultures and religions. They co-exist, side by side, and are not mutually exclusive.
So I don't really get your comment about "more complex". Of course it's more complex. What's your point?

My point is that so far people have said that Mexicans view it as witchcraft and take it REALLY seriously. My point is that it appears not to be so. The people who go see the lady I'm referring to go to see her with the nonchalance of going to the doctor's office. She is well known in the hispanic community here and is not barred from attending Catholic mass because of her practices as most would expect.

You seem to have gotten my point as evidenced by your post.

magpie9 said:
Just as European Catholicism ended up incorporating local pagan rituals and holidays and practices into everyday and seasonal practice, it happened here with the various Native American cultures and religions. They co-exist, side by side, and are not mutually exclusive.

That only further explored upon the point. I'm getting tired of writing the word "point". Why do we need a "point" anyways?!

Elnor

I suppose that's going to be the case in just about any culture, and especially in more rural communities it's going to vary quite a lot.

Just as an example, I've many Irish friends who read the cards, and are quite proud of their granny having the 'gift', and being able to see the little people, or believe that hearing the cry of the bean-sidhe (banshee) foretells a death... while just up the road in the next village, the more staunch Irish Catholics would rubbish any such beliefs as devilish superstitions.

elnor

Baroli

Splungeman said:
What are you thoughts, suggestions, experiences of reading for someone of a very different culture?

I don't know,...the questions "When will I find my true love," "when will I find the perfect job," "can you tell me how can I best attain inner peace," all translate into one thing that is apparent to all cultures,.............people need advice, they want help.

(My opinion, now)--I don't think it has anything to do with the cultural aspects of anything. We are all on the same boat, sailing the same ocean, and the same questions come out no matter what culture, language, or whatever.

People need advice and help, come looking to us to help them find their answers.

MeeWah

Some life concerns of the universal & span cultural differences: relationships, especially social or marriage prospects; career or job opportunities; finances or investments; health.

Based on the personal experiences with relatives, friends & clients representative of a global perspective, readings viewed from the philosophic to the wholly serious. For some, their particular influences from the cultural because divination part of the heritage & becomes part of their life experiences.

Some keep their thoughts private; others ask a lot of questions with an eye towards pinpointing time elements & future developments--both qualities which tend to be more subject to variables or out of the immediate control.

Cultural differences aside, people generally interested in the same things--those life concerns & decisions which impact their lives & progress. Readings or divination can provide an edge towards negotiating a path in an uncertain world.

Danica_Nyx

I think people who have a curiosity for different cultures and spiritual ideas.

We had people from Russia staying with us during the holiday. In Russia, i am not sure on there beliefs, arrogant of me, but i havn't had a chance to look it up.

The man staying with us was downstairs while i was working with my cards. He noticed them and asked what I was doing. When i told him i was working with tarot cards he became very interested. i ended up doing a reading for him. He wasn't sure whether to believe it or not but hewas very interested. He ended up telling a few other Russians about tarot that were at a party. He gave a very good review, even though he was a little wary on it. he had a conversation on the origin and what the cards are.

overall it was a very good experience for me and to show someone what tarot is and how it can be used.

-Danica