Reading with Majors Only

Umbrae

Quite often, someone will sit down and ask one of those impossible questions. “What do I need to do, in order to…” fill in the blank. If you’ve read for others long enough you’ve had the question.

We can spend 15 minutes attempting to rewrite the question until we’re doing a reading on something that’s essentially different than what they really want (or need), or use some fantastic spread using 47 cards in the shape of a MacGregor 65 or some other downwind sled crossing the Pacific, full sails and flying its spinnaker.

To me, more cards do not equal clarity. In fact more cards usually obfuscate. In fact the more cards/positions I use – the further from a real reading (and this is my opinion mind you) I get. If you lay out 20 cards, you begin to rely upon the Forer Effect, and not on your ability to read. The Forer Effect is related to selective memory and is appropriate to the cold-reading/divination situation. The Forer Effect states that in general, “when people are given many general and specific claims about themselves, the inaccuracies are overlooked and the general statements are interpreted as accurate.”

It seemed obvious back then when 5 and 7 card readings were my bread and butter (never could wrap my arms around the Not-So Celtic Cross), that to lay out 7 out of 22 cards was a bit much – That’s 31% of the cards, which means I’m not reading, but relying on the Forer Effect. I might have well have been doing the old “you are a sensitive, intelligent person. You have the ability to cope with many different situations; although you are far from the wimpish type you are not overly aggressive or manipulative either…” kind of phony ‘reading’.

Well now, that’s never been my style. Back in the old days when I only had one beat-up, battered RWS, I’d strip out the Majors and do a reading. Since I didn’t have any books back in the 70’s and 80’s to tell me I was doing it wrong, I just did it. Found it worked out just fine.

Now I own a handful of ‘Majors Only’ decks.

But here is the key (and although some may be tempted to move this thread to the ‘spreads’ forum, admittedly spreads are listed but this is not about spreads per se), you really need to listen to what the sitter is asking, what they need, can their issues be answered with a 78 card deck? Maybe yes maybe no.

Must we really have them rewrite their question? Perhaps not.

Should you choose to explore Majors Only readings, your choice of which Majors Only deck is huge. You can use a deck that was published as a Majors Only; or alternatively you can look through that collection of yours and pull out that deck where you love the Majors and despise the Minors – separate them and Voila! Majors Only!

There are also decks where you have most likely said, “Gee, wish it as a full deck of 78…” Well why not go ahead and use it as the artist intended?

Here’s another aspect. Suppose you also do Rune readings. A Majors Only reading will dovetail perfectly with a Rune reading. If you do a Three or Five Rune spread, Majors can be used along with each position – I usually only use three Tarot with Runes (sliding them under the 3 main stones after I’ve completed the Rune portion of the Reading. The Tarot Majors and the Runes complement each other well.

The 2-Card reading. Windows and Doors

The Window represents ‘what’s out there’, what we want, desire, think we need, it’s what we see or think we see. It is a goal that we’re separated from. It’s the now (Not the Now that’s leftover from the past like a half-eaten pizza in the refrigerator, sure it is here now – but it is a reminder, a remainder of the past – leftovers). The window is present now. However it’s not just about us – sometimes it is what the universe is trying to give us. It is something now that we are separate from.

The Door. If you want to let in, or get to, whatever is outside, the least you must do is get up and unlock the door. Sometimes opening it is not even necessary. But you have to at least make the effort – unlock the door! Use the archetype here to give you an idea of “how to act to make it possible.”

Three Card Majors Only Spread options

Past............................Present........... ...........Future
Beginning.....................Middle.............. ...........End
Body..............................Mind............ ............Spirit
Problem.....................Obstacle.............. ......Help/Lesson
Option One.................The Issue............ .....Option Two
Self...........................Relationship.....… ............Other

:smoker:
Some portions of this essay have appeared in ‘Seekers Journey’ on Tarotforlife. Permission from the author granted or he’ll have a shaving accident.

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions on reading with only 22 cards.

firecatpickles

When I had my Dali deck, I only used the majors because, like you said, I hated the minors so much that I couldn't make sense out of them. Then I learned that Dali probably didn't even draw the minors, and possibly not even the majors, either. I have since traded the Dali for two decks that I really love. But that's beside the point.

I found that while reading with majors, I was able to get just as good a reslult as with 78 (or now, 97) cards.

I have also done a reading with my Minchiate deck with only the 44 majors. This calls for some interesting results, as well.

K:spade:K

HearthCricket

Reading with majors only is how I first started to learn tarot. I had the IJJ Swiss, in French, and only did readings with the major arcana, while playing solitaire with the minors. I was 12 and there were very few tarot decks in stores. I didn't even know a minor arcana (illustrated with meanings) existed. While I was thrilled to expand to 78 cards, I still have no problem with reading with majors only and actually want to start a small majors only collection for this reason. I also agree with you on taking out minors of decks that I don't care for as much, or one with simple pips, and seeing how it goes with just using the majors. Majors only readings can be quite powerful and very interesting-especially in a Celtic Cross spread.

BrightEye

Umbrae said:
The 2-Card reading. Windows and Doors

The Window represents ‘what’s out there’, what we want, desire, think we need, it’s what we see or think we see. It is a goal that we’re separated from. It’s the now (Not the Now that’s leftover from the past like a half-eaten pizza in the refrigerator, sure it is here now – but it is a reminder, a remainder of the past – leftovers). The window is present now. However it’s not just about us – sometimes it is what the universe is trying to give us. It is something now that we are separate from.

The Door. If you want to let in, or get to, whatever is outside, the least you must do is get up and unlock the door. Sometimes opening it is not even necessary. But you have to at least make the effort – unlock the door! Use the archetype here to give you an idea of “how to act to make it possible.”
umbrae, this looks brilliant! i'll give it a go later.

another 2-card reading with majors is similar to this one: higher self and ego. it's more meditative than answering a specific question but worth trying. basically what you do is compare the relationship and possible connections between the two.

i'm going to turn my goddess deck into a majors only - for same reason.

Ladybro

Just a thought:
I think tarot really has 22 cards only. I read that Minors Arcane were added during 18ª century. It is say the 22 Mayor Arcane origin were before, isn`it?
And I agree with drawing a lot of cards confusing the accuracy’s spread.

firecatpickles

Yes. Technically, tarot is the 22 majors and nothings else. But tarot evolves.

K:spade:K

Elven

I have been doing Major only reading for a long time, and enjoy them immensley - there is so much within them - and I enjoy the rich messages they deliver. I have a few decks which have seperated at Birth - Majors from Minors on opening the pack :p, and also have had much fun using Major decks whose Minors are still in the progress stage :)

There is a group of readings here, which expand a one card/symbol/oracle draw - some Major only, but quite descriptive. One card can certainly give a good reading.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48185&highlight=READINGS+CAFE

Blessings
Elven x

Umbrae

One card readings...Oh yea...

Free-form two, three, or even (GASP) four card readings...no positions...

Lula Jing

I've got the book 'Beginner's guide to Tarot' by Juliet Sharman-Burke.

One of the spreads mentioned in the book is a star shaped Majors only spread that uses 7 cards to look at 1] root of the matter 2] emotions and relationships 3] intellect and career 4] the heart of the matter 5]Unconscious influence 6] Conscious influences and desires 7] Top of the matter.

I've found it works pretty good and would agree that sometimes less is more. :)

star-lover

i must admit i've seen some spreads with like 15-20 cards and i'm thinking omg how on earth you synthesise all that! didnt even try them from curiosity - i tell a lie - some spreads i have seen on spreads forum have many many cards but there is a specific question to each position - i was thinking more of past present future type big spreads with like 7 cards in each position

i like the 7 card horseshoe spread though i read a few threads on it and the positions were not the same meaning for everyone who used it