Recommend Me A Marseilles!

Alamaris

I bought my Thoth several months ago, and finally purchased a Waite Rider Smith yesterday. Now, because its probably true that the best things come in threes (like tarot ;)) I'm looking to acquire a Marseilles tarot. Round off the collection, as it were, and of course to study an early deck.

I think the Fournier and the Noblet are both fairly aesthetically pleasing, but in the end, the most important thing is probably historical accuracy. Is there a good deck that combines nice imagery with the true old symbolism?

Apologies if anything here sounds utterly daft; I've never touched a Marseilles before. I figured now was the time to start! :D

Moonbow

Not daft at all, this is probably the first question that people ask when they consider a Marseilles deck..... which one?!?

Of the two you mention there is no doubt that the Noblet will be the most accurate as far as historical depiction goes. For a start, the Fournier has coloured backgrounds and that isn't accurate hisorically. But, if you like the Fournier then get it, it will be just as accurate for reading with. My sister has kept this Marseille above all others because it reads well for her.

Personally, if I had to choose for myself, I would have a Noblet, a Conver (like the Heron), and a Dodal, and even though not strictly a Marseilles through and through, a Vieville. All of the others are a mish mash of these, and that is not to say that they aren't wonderful reading decks (like the Hadar).

PS, consider also the 'fringe' Marseilles decks like the Svizzera or Classic. I'll shut up now because I think I'm confusing you.

le pendu

Hi Alamaris,

Welcome to the History forum, and congratulations on starting your exploration of the Marseille Tarot!

I completely agree with Moonbow*. The four decks that I "couldn't live without" are the Noblet, Dodal, Conver and Vieville.

The Jean Noblet is the oldest existing, from around 1650, and has been redrawn by Jean-Claude Flornoy. It's a fantastic deck, small in size, with vibrant colors. To me, it is how I imagine the deck would have looked like new back in 1650.

The Jean Dodal is very difficult to find, and IMHO, now ridiculously overpriced. If you fall in love with it, and run across it, get it; but otherwise, it's great to have but may not be worth the price for anyone other than an avid TdM fan or collector. The Jean Dodal is from sometime around 1701-1713.

The Nicholas Conver is the most "common" of the TdM decks, and is the style that many people think of when they think of a TdM. I also love the Heron version of the deck. Another version that is inexpensive is the Thunder Bay version. Most of the Conver decks are from 1760, and the two mentioned above are photocopies of the old deck, so the look old and worn and faded.

The Jacques Vieville is not a TdM, but a related deck. It's as old as the Jean Noblet, 1650. It's odd, and quirky, and my personal favorite.

Ultimately though, it all comes down to which deck appeals to you personally. I'd worry less about "historical accuracy" (which we explore and discuss around here, but there is no definative answer on a lot of it anyway); and focus on the one that "speaks" to you and that you would like to have an ongoing relationship with.

If you like the Fournier, also consider the Universal Marseille Tarot, it has similar colors, and if you get the set it comes with a very good book by AT's own Lee Bursten. I personally don't like the titles on this deck, but if you're used to Lo Scarabeo decks, they might not bother you.

Whatever your choice, it's a great door into the wonderful world of Marseille Tarots. ENJOY!

gregory

Moonbow*, is it KIND to suggest a Dodal ? ;)
Where in the world could anyone...... :(

The Noblet is historically very sound. Perhaps a good starting point.

Rosanne

If you are going to read with one- get one that you like- maybe fuzzy around the edges or good clear images, bright colours or somber or modern old Like Major Tom's deck - what ever rings your bell.
If it is for study- Go for the Noblet, then after you have studied it you will be able to read with it- so two for the price of one eh?
I know plenty of people who read with a Grimaud.
Me? I think they are all ugly- so it is the degree of ugly that you can use and get to love that is the issue for me. Noblet is what I now love after a very, very, very, long courtship.
~Rosanne

Alamaris

Thank you all! I'm going to consider the suggestions and pick one out soon. :D

firefrost

I've been over at TG looking at them and the ones I was intersted in are sold out, re-orders pending. Haven't a clue as to how long they'll take so I'm going to keep checking.

mosaica

I never wanted a Marseilles until I got my Lo Scarabeo. Now I'm curious about which of the symbols come from the Marseilles. I was thinking of getting probably the easiest and least expensive one to get, the Universal. Is it not good?

Melanchollic

I guess I'm utterly passé, but if one were to choose but one Tarot de Marseille, I'd say get a Grimaud, with the French titles. The Grimaud WAS the Marseille tradition, and the only TdM available for decades. It is to Europe what the RWS is to the Anglo world. It was a milestone in 20th century Tarot.

I recommend it not for it's pedigree however, but for it's card stock. It is still my everyday deck of choice, because it is so durable. With regular talc cleaning, it will last for years. It is also a well known fact that NASA uses the Grimaud as 're-entry tiles' on the belly of the Space-shuttle.

There are always a few available on eBay.co.uk, new and used.

firefrost

mosaica said:
I never wanted a Marseilles until I got my Lo Scarabeo. Now I'm curious about which of the symbols come from the Marseilles. I was thinking of getting probably the easiest and least expensive one to get, the Universal. Is it not good?

Certainly listen to all the professionals here. I'm just a Marseilles newbie myself but I think it's a good idea to get the Universal if you're going to learn to read them. You can get the deck & book set for a reasonable price and the book is invaluable for learning the pips.

If you just want to study the symbolism, then yes, get the cheepest deck you can find.