Rider Waite Tarot (1971)

Vesper

KariRoad said:
Hello Ambrosia,

There were 3 distinct printing variations before the "Rider Tarot" was issued with typeset titles, and any of these would be a nice addition for Reading or collecting. 1) no copyright (prior to 1975). 2) copyright with matte finish (1975-c1985). 3) copyright with glossy finish (1985-c1995). Once the titles were typeset, something intrinsically valuable was lost.

So one needn't look for anything more difficult to find than "hand-lettered" titles to have a very nice edition of the regular deck. (The "Original" and the "Commemorative" are something else altogether.)

I think what I got was the second one. It has hand-lettered titles and non-glossy finish, but it also has a tiny copyright line on the lower right (1971 US Games). Printed in Switzerland by Muller & Cie. I did notice several of these on ebay for not much more than I paid, if the OP is still looking for one.

KariRoad

evelone said:
I think what I got was the second one. It has hand-lettered titles and non-glossy finish, but it also has a tiny copyright line on the lower right (1971 US Games). Printed in Switzerland by Muller & Cie.
These are wonderful, and I love the way the cards make a woody "tonk" sound when you give them a gentle tap. And the finish makes me think of beeswax (although it is a 1970s Swiss "plastic" coating). Enjoy!