RWS Tarot 101 Two of Wands

Berbatov

Waite gives a pretty good description, (for him) of this card.

He actually mentions its GD esoteric name in the blurb ;(The Lord of) Dominion.

But why should it be called Dominion?

This is Chokmah in the element of Fire and from a Golden Dawn point of view it might help to look at what Aleister Crowley had to say about the Twos in general;

"...Chokmah is really No. I and not No.2, because he is the first manifestation; Kether is completely concealed, so that nobody knows anything about it at all. Hence, only on reaching the Deuces does an element appear as the element itself. Chokmah is uncontaminated by any influence; therefore the elements here appear in their original harmonious condition..."

So, this is the Will (Fire) uncontaminated by any thought of what the end result ought, or might be. This is why Waite says "...it looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander". It flows out seeking change through the force of will, until like Alexander it weeps, because there are no more worlds to conquer.

Mars in the ascendant decan of Aries reinforces this idea of boundless and unbounded energy.

Dominion.

Waite also gives another important clue to the understanding of this card when he says that "...The Rose and Cross and Lily should be noticed..."

Waite uses the symbols of roses and lilies in various roles throughout the deck, however within the Two of Wands this particular usage is almost certainly a reference to the Rosicrucian form of Alchemy. In simple terms the Rose is the Sun/Male (amongst others) and the Lily is the Moon/Female, and the Great Work consists of uniting the two.

Berb

PAMUYA

Waite's writings are interesting in deed...but

Berb,

What is it that YOU see...your intutition tells you what about this card? If you drew this as your daily draw today what would it tell you? This man is the lord of his dominion..or is he? What do you think? Look into the card...

The crowned one

Berbatov said:
Waite uses the symbols of roses and lilies in various roles throughout the deck, however within the Two of Wands this particular usage is almost certainly a reference to the Rosicrucian form of Alchemy. In simple terms the Rose is the Sun/Male (amongst others) and the Lily is the Moon/Female, and the Great Work consists of uniting the two.

Berb

"A. E. Waite holds with Godfrey Higgins that the process of forming the Philosopher's Stone with the aid of dew is the secret concealed within the name Rosicrucian..... The cross is symbolic of the human body, and the two symbols together--the rose on the cross--signify that the soul of man is crucified upon the body, where it is held by three nails."

The rose cross is well disguised if it is to represent the Rosicrucian rose cross but I do not discount that definition by any means.. This is the crux decussata or St. Andrew's cross, signifying martyrdom. A sacrifice of desire for achievement or visa-versa perhaps? Rose can be achievement and lily desire like in the Magican... Purity and love.. the list goes on ;)

I think it is interesting that he points out the cross is on the "left" rather then on the right where one would expect it to be. Also he says "the rose and cross and lilly ", not the "rose cross and lilly" as I would expect if it was the Rosicrucian rose cross he was referring to. Waite was known for his little miss leading statements ...

Another clue to deciphering this card is the two wands: one wand is mounted to the ground (right side) , so a good foundation. The other is just held in his hand.(Left) A choice of sorts or two paths?

More thoughts and idea's then answers here, but worth thinking about.

Great posts everyone, this has got me revisiting some old idea's I have not tossed around in a while.

rcb30872

When I look at the card it just makes me think that he has the world in his hands, if that is the case he should be looking to the right, the future, correct? But he is looking to the left, the past. I have my own ideas on that, but it is something that I find quite, well, obvious and contradictory

If that is the case, then Two of Wands would indicate that you would have started something, taken action in regards to something. So, perhaps, just perhaps, maybe he is questioning himself whether that was such a good thing that he started or what he has done is such a good thing afterall.

In some sense, it is a duality and contradiction in thoughts and feelings. Excited that he has started something new, but sadness that something had to end. Optimistic that he has started something new, but perhaps doubtful or pessimistic that it was such a good or wise thing to do in the first place.

I have not been in her for absolute ages! Yes, this is a bit of a Two of Wands moment for me, I am glad that I took the plunge, because the reason I stopped was confidence issues, but at the same time I am wondering if it is such a good idea, would that mean my confidence will yet again be shattered?

:eek:

Summersnowflake

I've always thought the two of wands is an especially beautiful card, with the globe and the lovely landscape in the background. But A.E. Waite's description always confused me and put me off.

Lately I've come to see this card as meaning be patient, believe in what you've undertaken, trust in your endeavors. I imagine this man has sent his ships off to explore or trade, all he can do now is wait and hope for success.

Sometimes when we're trying to accomplish something we have to stand back while things develop or other events occur. Patience can be part of the plan. I see this card as hopeful.

Emerald_Empress

Does this card indicate travel in a reading??

The crowned one

Emerald_Empress said:
Does this card indicate travel in a reading??

I would use the word "journey" rather then travel, as you may not be physically moving, but it can very much indicate a new journey.

AS far as travel, sure sometimes, if you understand the basic symbolism of the card and feel it is travel then it is travel. (a nod to the intuitive readers)

EDIT I should add this is only one aspect of the card...

Sulis

I think of this card as the 'should I stay or should I go?' card.

The guy stands on the parapet of a castle so he's already achieved some success (symbolised by the castle and by the wand which is fixed to the wall) but he's looking out at a body of water and at the horizon and he holds a globe in his hand. This says that there is an element of dissatisfaction there; he has his castle and his wands but he seems to me to be longing for more (symbolised by the globe).
It's also a card about gathering your courage or your personal power together if you want to 'go for it'..The guy has the world in his hands but he has to climb over that wall first.
The two wands form the shape of a doorway or gateway and he is standing in it so he has it all before him; all he has to do is decide what to do next.

Twos are related to The High Priestess; they aren't cards of action but of that pause that comes after the initial burst of energy of the Ace. They are about duality and choices, the action comes with the three.

Here's a link to the image: http://www.villarevak.org/g_td/xhv_2w.jpg