Same question, different spreads?

Pique Dame

I know the cards don't like it when you ask the same question over and over and they will often start screwing with you if you do. But what if you ask essentially the same question while using different spreads? Does that count as bothering the cards, or is it some kind of tarot loophole since the spread and positions within it aren't exactly the same?

tarotbear

If you are asking the same question over and over again it doesn't matter what spread you are doing - it's the same question. The cards don't know from spreads - the cards only know from Truth.

BTW - The cards don't 'screw with you' - they are inanimate objects. The Tarot is not 'full of loopholes'; the Tarot is full of Truth.

You have to ask yourself why you don't believe the first spread didn't answer your question truthfully or correctly, and how many spreads are you going to try to get the answer that you seem to want to hear. It is not a question of something 'counting' or 'not counting' - it's a question of accepting the answer ... and moving on.

Pique Dame

It's not that I don't believe the answer, I just might want more information. There are many spreads out there and some may have positions that give a little more relevant info, or just offer a slightly different perspective on the matter. I'm curious if that's considered acceptable or not.

JackofWands

My answer would be no. Like Tarotbear, I don't think of the cards as animate objects that will actively "screw with you" if you repeat questions, but I would say that the onus is on you as a reader to pick a spread that will give you complete information from the very beginning. Choosing an incomplete spread and then re-reading when you're not satisfied is going to give you contradictory information, and to me that smells like a reader wanting to read the same question repeatedly until they get the answer they're looking for (as Tarotbear already said).

tarotbear

Does that count as bothering the cards, or is it some kind of tarot loophole since the spread and positions within it aren't exactly the same?

I find the idea that somehow there could be 'some kind of Tarot loophole' kind of funny, actually, because people who only seek 'the easiest way out' usually do it for odd reasons.

Pique Dame - I'm sorry if I've come off kind of harsh here - but you have to realize that all the 'concepts' about Tarot were generated by people with some sort of idea that they could 'better control' the situation by creating limitations about what to do or not do. The truth is - the cards never read any of the books where such 'Tarot Rules' are written. The cards don't know about 'universal laws' that were created by men. The cards ARE ... the idea that they only obey a certain set of restrictions but you can get around them by doing such-and-such ... the cards don't work that way. You are completely free to ask the same question using every spread in "1,001 Tarot Spreads" if you want - the 'Tarot Police' are not going to come knocking on your door in the wee hours. Like JackofWands said - " Choosing an incomplete spread and then re-reading when you're not satisfied is going to give you contradictory information ". You need to suit the spread to the question.

You are not the first person to say 'I have done this reading but I need more information'. It would be better to spend time thinking about the information you are seeking, formulating the question, finding an appropriate spread, and then doing the reading from there ... instead of trying to 'patchwork' a lot of things together.

Just my two cents .....

Simple

I don't think the tarot can "screw" with you. If you ask WAY too many times, some sassy decks just either gives you a nonsense answer or an opposite answer.

However, if you repeat the question the second time, phrase it slightly differently, use a different spread, just want to get more information, I say go for it. It helps me see the points I'm missing sometimes. Another method is to try different deck for the same question, it can offer some visual clues that might trigger your understanding of the answers. If none of these two methods work, I usually ponder on the answer I got and wait it out. Sometimes, I have the "aha" moment, sometimes, in a few days, I feel more connected and can give it another try.

I regard my tarot decks as my friendly companions, they have their own quirks but they understand me and in some way conform to my way, they're not here to harm me or "screw" me.

Last resort is to get a tarot reading from someone else. If it's a matter that overwhelms me with emotions and I can't calm myself enough to see things, I might as well get a reading from someone else.

GlitterNova

I believe that the cards are inanimate objects. They can't screw with you any more than rocks or leaves or pretzels can screw with you. However, what can happen is that your own mind realizes the futility of asking the same question multiple times and begins to interpret things in a way that expresses that futility--coming off as being flippant or even malicious. Again, this isn't the cards doing anything different, it's our own mind recognizing the futility of the situation. Trying to find a loophole around this is trying to find a loophole in our mental process, which isn't going to happen. If you need to do another reading for clarification after a first reading because you truly need some more information, that's fine. But if you try to 'trick' your cards (and therefore your mind) by re-doing a reading only slightly differently, well, that isn't going to work.

Grizabella

I don't think the tarot can "screw" with you. If you ask WAY too many times, some sassy decks just either gives you a nonsense answer or an opposite answer.

This made me chuckle. In the same breath that you say cards are inanimate objects, you say some decks can be sassy, which is giving them a human attribute. lol It's very confusing, isn't it? I know I often say the same thing but then turn around and say something that contradicts what I've said about them being inanimate objects.

I think GlitterNova said it really well. It's your own mind that starts messing with you, not the deck. At any rate, it does just get to producing nonsense if you've asked the same question over and over again.

As Simple says, though, if you want to try asking the same-only-different questions several times, go ahead and try. There are no rules about that in Tarot. Trial and error might be your best learning tool. I know it seems to be mine. :)

moon_light

Personally, I think you're better off asking follow-up questions (that are genuinely follow-up questions, not rewordings). For instance, let's say you asked, "What do I need to know about my relationship with X?" You get the answer that you need to be the active pursuer. If you can't find the answer to how to pursue him, I think it's fine to ask, "How can I attract X?" It's normal for answers to bring up more questions – just don't use it as an excuse to ask the same thing in different words.

Pam O

It's not that I don't believe the answer, I just might want more information. There are many spreads out there and some may have positions that give a little more relevant info, or just offer a slightly different perspective on the matter. I'm curious if that's considered acceptable or not.

Personally, I think you're better off asking follow-up questions (that are genuinely follow-up questions, not rewordings). For instance, let's say you asked, "What do I need to know about my relationship with X?" You get the answer that you need to be the active pursuer. If you can't find the answer to how to pursue him, I think it's fine to ask, "How can I attract X?" It's normal for answers to bring up more questions – just don't use it as an excuse to ask the same thing in different words.

How about a new reading on the card(s) you don't understand, rather than asking the same question in a new spread?

First, do you use Rx cards? If not, the Rx meaning is buried in the upright card! :bugeyed:

So let's say you got the "9 of cups" as the result. :confused:
- Is this really a 'wish card', and at this moment given the current energy, your wish is predicted to come true?
- OR, is it saying you are going to be drinking alone to bury your sorrow?
(9s are ruled by the Hermit!)

So you could do a short reading on understanding this card. For example:
1. Situation
(This position can be SO enlightening because even though you think you know what the situation is, this can give you new insight you never saw before.)
2. Insight?
3. What this really means?

There are lots of 3 card spreads out there! Many are great for gaining clarity on a particular card.
Here is another idea.
-Situation? What I know? What I don't know (or don't see).