Satanist looking for a suitable deck...

bogiesan

Omera, you have 41 posts (which I have not researched); you have been hanging around the place a bit, you know what it's like around here.

Personally, I always recommend the three seminal decks: W-S, Thoth, TdM and, maybe, the precursors like Sola-Busca. There are some originals that fit our collective definition of the term "tarot" but almost everything else is a derivative or another expression of a derivative.

When folks go looking for a match to their spiritual belief system, I wonder if they are insisting on a deck with appropriate iconography, a design crafted by a valid practitioner of the same system or just something they like to look at and play with.

That's why I say start with the foundations. Figure out if tarot works for you. Then go hunting for decks more focused or representative of your beliefs and practice.

Hope you locate and can use your ideal deck. Please come back and tell us what you found.

omera

The local pagan store does sell:
Deviant moon,
Hermetic,
Marsailles,
and a few others.

The Deviant moon is on my list I think.

trzes

The Deviant Moon is surely brilliant. Once I got used to these creepy moon faces I didn't find it particularly dark any more though. To me it has a more melancholic feel now.

Sola Busca has been mentioned above. It really IS medieval, with illustrated pips, and weird and dark and strange. Since the majors are very non-standard and often regarded totally unreadable, ATF member seven stars has created a revised version of it, where the majors are closer to the traditional symbolism. I am still waiting for my copy, so I can't come up with personal experience yet, but it definitely looks promising (discussion here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=191355).

And every now and again I am baffled by the beauty of the Crowley tarot again, which I have never used though.

Anna

Personally, I always recommend the three seminal decks: W-S, Thoth, TdM and, maybe, the precursors like Sola-Busca. There are some originals that fit our collective definition of the term "tarot" but almost everything else is a derivative or another expression of a derivative.

I absolutely agree with this, and always recommend the same!

Whilst I understand the desire to have a deck that represents one's world view, I'd say it is far more important to first get a solid grounding of the foundations of Tarot first.

velvetina

I'll suggest the Mary El and as well as the wonderful Thoth, Fergus Hall's Tarot of the Witches (all those pointy beards !)

The crowned one

The local pagan store does sell:
Deviant moon,
Hermetic,
Marsailles,
and a few others.

The Deviant moon is on my list I think.

Hermetic out of that list.

omera

I know what deck I want now.

Through my life, I've praised and looked up to the strong and conquering character represented by various 'dark lord' archetypes throughout literature: Unholy knights ruling over legions, hulking armored lords of chaos, etc. Is there a deck with a theme like that?