Separating or Peeling edges of cards....?

greatdane

A friend has a deck I want, which shall remain nameless here, because it doesn't matter for the sake of the thread, and while it is lovely in all aspects, hers is starting to separate or peel along the edges a little, the edges are lifting. If I got this deck, I would want to treat it with a fixative or something to keep it from happening. THOUGHTS? I know this has had to happen to someone before and there must be, if not a way to fix it once it happens, a way to keep it from happening?

dancing_moon

This hasn't happened to any cards of mine, thankfully, but it has happened to other cardboard objects that I own. Gently applying a tiny amount of any glue and then gently pressing the card together always did the trick, especially if the glue isn't very thick.

greatdane

Thanks Dancing Moon!

Any particular type of glue? I want to be ...proactive...as my friend's deck is kind of pulling back and almost bump, there's no way to fix other than trimming hers and THEN apply the glue. I want to do this to a brand new deck so it doesn't happen in the first place. THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS! BLESSINGS to you and UKRAINE! May all be Well.

Sulis

One of the cards in my Wild Unknown Tarot had a peeling back from loads and loads of rough shuffling. I fixed it with a tiny bit of craft glue and it's fine now.

dancing_moon

Thank you for your good wishes, Greatdane!

I suppose any good glue would help. I've never been this proactive in my life. :D But if and when it happened, I just used any glue that happened to be around my place.

greatdane

THANK YOU SULIS AND DANCING MOON!

I shall get some craft glue and just ever so lightly go around the edges after I get it. I saw my friend's and it is not fixable as it's pulled back and made a ridge that there is no way to push back, it didn't just LIFT, but pulled back from the edge into a little speed bump. :-( Too bad, but I am now forewarned so will just gently kind of go around all the edges of my new deck.

canid

I've never encountered that, but I would probably use ModPodge. VERY lightly. Try to push/smear it inside the edge of the card that's fraying, then quickly wipe any excess off of the outside. However, you would need to weight the card heavily, which could make any leftover glue seep out of the edges to stick to whatever surface you have it on as it dries. But then you COULD use an exacto knife after it's all dried to cut off the excess adhesive... Unless!! you use waxed paper or parchment in between the cards & books, or whatever you weight it with; that may act like teflon & it won't stick. If you *just* apply glue, it's not making the paper fibers adhere back together flatly & you could end up with a big mess, plus thick cards on the edges, unless you flatten it with weight. Am I making any sense here? I'm picturing it in my head...

Zephyros

Use the barest amount of glue inside. A very thin, small make-up brush, the smallest you can find, is good for this. After fixing the card(s) put the whole deck under a very heavy weight or stack of books, heaviest you can find. This should bring the cards to a presentable state.

Laura Borealis

If you're worried about messing it up, you could do a glue test-run on some other kind of card, or on the title card/extra if there is one.

I say this because I've ruined projects by not doing test runs... :eek:

Also, I would suggest whatever kind of glue you use, get archival quality.

ETA: This is targeted to collage artists, but seems to have good glue advice:
http://whuffling.com/2012/02/09/collage-tutorial-the-gospel-of-glue/

Sulis

I think the trick is to use hardly any glue at all so as not to soak through the paper. I found just a light smear of glue was enough.