Smith-Waite Centennial deck is THE definitive RWS -- a must-have!

Disa

The commemorative deck is the only RWS deck I can stand to look at. I don't use it much, but when someone requests it, it's here. I have the Kit and just received the one in the tin yesterday. It will be a good traveling deck.

Richard

Nah. Because USG slightly changed the dimensions and that ANNOYS me - and the colours aren't quite true, either. Now if Tarot PRODUCTIONS would do one...

My first Albano-Waite was the original Tarot Productions deck, and it sucks: sloppy printing, muddy colors. I like the USG yellow box Albano better, and even better than that is my German edition, printed in Belgium.

Richard

The commemorative deck is the only RWS deck I can stand to look at. I don't use it much, but when someone requests it, it's here. I have the Kit and just received the one in the tin yesterday. It will be a good traveling deck.

Same here. I can't stand any of the yellow box versions. Actually, I prefer the new tinned Smith-Waite over the standard PCS Commemorative: easier to handle. (However, sad to say :joke:, I'm mostly a TdM nut case.)

RavenLuna

I got the in-a-tin version a few days ago, and am surprised how much I like it. I'd avoided the boxed set, but I'm tempted by it now. I like the muted tones and I love the duck-egg blue backs. The size and convenience of the deck in a tin is just perfect. Previously I had referred to the Universal Waite whilst studying, but I might actually read with this new deck.

Cesar

Frankly, I wish Kaplan had published the PCS book a lot sooner, maybe even in a standard size book rather than as a box set companion.

As a matter of fact, the content of this book about Pamela Colman Smith is taken from an essay published in Vol. III of the Encyclopedia of Tarot. Of course, it is very valuable to have all that material in a book which is easy to handle.

It is not exactly a word by word edition, but it is very interesting to compare both essays. At times, I think that the essay in the Encyclopedia is a little bit better than the book. But the edition in full color of the images is very pleasing.

Teheuti

I really like the new pocket size, in-a-tin version and find myself using it a lot.

MaeWasteland

I've always been a bit put off by the colouring in the typical RWS decks, so my first deck was the Fey Tarot which is gorgeous but perhaps a little lacking in things to "pick up on" for a beginner, and I ended up slightly stalling (and then drifting to another interest, which is kinda something I do anyway, I tend to have a rotating "stable" of special interests).

Stumbled on the PCS-inna-tin and ordered a copy from Amazon, and it's lovely! The dinky little cards fit nicely in my hand, the tin is rather stylish and I don't fret so much about having it in my bag (I'm trying to take my cards around with me, although tbh I don't leave the house much due to disability), and I *love* the colours, to me, they suit the artwork much better - the bold lines and bold colours was a bit too much for my eyes (though I know plenty of people love them) and would certainly seem to me to be overwhelming in this small size, but with the more muted colours I can actually look at the artwork long enough to notice elements as well as enjoy the whole :)

(I'm autistic, prone to migraines and general sensory overload, which includes sometimes looking at overly "full" images.)

Winterchild

I have the original boxed set, which I feel is totally worth it for the books and extras if you are a Tarot collector of any ilk... I also have the tinned version... very usable.

Yep the down n dirty look is a tad overtoasted... but again as Leffy said, it happens a lot now, Seven's decks and a few others have also been toasted, but it's not really bad, just a design trend, kind of like the poppy imagery and colours of the 70's decks many of us love.

Albano v Centennial... I love the Albano, and I like the Centennial...

Fave RWS... my 1970's one which is genuinely aged with gorgeous soft card stock, but the Centennial card stock is pretty nice.

Richard

The Centennial doesn't look artificially aged to me. If it were, there would be no pure white in the images. (See attachment.) The borders are a slightly creamy off-white. Some people hate stark white borders. Obviously you can't please everyone.

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 237

Ambrosia

I really like the new pocket size, in-a-tin version and find myself using it a lot.

Same...love, love love it. It goes everywhere in my bag with me, the standard size stays at home or is brought out for "proper" readings.

I got the in-a-tin version a few days ago, and am surprised how much I like it. I'd avoided the boxed set, but I'm tempted by it now. I like the muted tones and I love the duck-egg blue backs. The size and convenience of the deck in a tin is just perfect. Previously I had referred to the Universal Waite whilst studying, but I might actually read with this new deck.

Totally agree. I also have the pocket Universal Waite which WAS my go-to travelling deck, but I'm afraid the PCS in a tin has knocked it out of that position.

I can certainly vouch for that...

The Centennial doesn't look artificially aged to me. If it were, there would be no pure white in the images. (See attachment.) The borders are a slightly creamy off-white. Some people hate stark white borders. Obviously you can't please everyone.

I have found there to be varying degrees of "aging" on each card in both the pocket and standard sized decks...some are an off-White, while others are verging on beige...but I still love them so...