So how did you all get into tarot?

velocitygirl

Me? Long story. But to make it short - charities day at school. I was stuck for ideas, so I decided to do tarot, I quickly learned the basics and then borrowed a deck from one of my older friends.

I would never have gotten into tarot any other way, expecially not with my family - conservative and Catholic. But very tolerant and accepting, thank god. Can't say that for some friends of mine.

So how about you guys? How did you get into it?

CandyApple

My mother bought me my first deck when I was ten. We were living over seas in a compound and there weren't a lot of people for me to hang out with. So when we went into town my mother picked it up for me as something for me to play with.

The is the long and short of it.

velocitygirl

Mmm... nice =) My mum suggested for me to do tarot for charities day at school but she didn't expect me to develop a proper interest in it. But I did, sadly for her XD

Free Flight

got a deck for a gift and discovered a new world, an addiction, an obsession and never have looked back

velocitygirl

Mmm... yeah. It's so good that I got into tarot, yet it was such a coincidence I suppose. I've learnt so much from the tarot. I swear by the tarot to my friends, but they still don't believe me so much, except one of them, who wants me to teach her XD

MikeTheAltarboy

I came to [occult] tarot in a vary backwards way. In High School I got a book of games, one section on card games. Among them, it had the rules for french tarot. Learning to play, and liking the game, I decided to learn more (per the bibliography) and had the library get Dummet's book "The Game of Tarot." I found the chapter on occult tarot interesting, and started learning about the golden dawn, and got myself a waite deck. That's how it started!

rash212

:)

I had been to a tarot reader and was amazed at her accuracy about certain events in my life.. that made me too curious as to how can anyone say so much just by looking at those coloured pictures on cards!!! Being inquisitive.. and curious i needed to learn this art or divinition... thus led me to this wonderful world of tarot... it yet always surprises me at its accuracy.. but ironically i yet havent figured out.. how does it work so well when ever we ask the questions.. i love n enjoy the mistique about it:)!!

rash

thinbuddha

I was researching a film project that I was interested in doing. It would have been a sort of video tarot where various short films would be chosen randomly and played in a random order. The idea was that the viewer would be able to make new meaning out of the program each time they viewed it. I looked into tarot, because I figured that it might be similar to what I had in mind, and I wanted to see how it worked in the tarot system.

The project never got off the ground (I lost interest) but I have stayed interested in tarot ever since picking up that first deck.

MeeWah

In a roundabout way.

Always fascinated with playing cards, discovered at 11 I could read with regular playing cards.

As a teenager, Zolar's Astrological Tarot an impulse purchase & used it as an oracle deck from teens through adult years. Turned to Tarot after reading deck of regular playing cards disappeared & Zolar's deck lost its appeal.

RWS acquired at 19 also as an impulse purchase. Ignorant of Tarot & of Tarot books, I saw it as a means of spiritual knowledge rather than for divination & ignored the LWB; however, the divinatory quality evident immediately. Developed basic meanings for the cards; incorporated those associated with regular playing cards & then discovered Tarot books. Most encountered hold scant interest but have read a select few.

A vision of The High Priestess during an involuntary meditative state
led me to focus largely on Tarot though also use non-Tarot divinatory methods which in combination with Tarot works extremely well.

This has been an incredible & intriguing journey from which I am always learning.

Asenath

I went to the Pyschic Fair with a friend and we sat in on a workshop on Tarot. My interest on tarot at the time <yawn> was zip. I don't think I would have been able to even identify a tarot deck if someone shown one to me, if I hadn't started learning.

Either way, when the lady giving the seminar mentioned that you could use Tarot to meditate I got excited. I was like, wow! a way to meditate without falling asleep! cool! And the bonus, according to her, was that it opened up your intuition... I figured that it was worth checking out! :)