Sola-Busca Tarot

BrightEye

In my Foreword to the book by Sofia Di Vincenzo on S-BT, I wrote that her work was not accurate for the fact that she not cited the source of the alchemical interpretations.
In reality this was not to his will, but for the will of the Publisher Lo Scarabeo, who preferred to avoid the inclusion of a chapter devoted to citations of sources used by Sofia Di Vincenzo.
Lo Scarabeo preferred, instead, to insert a chapter dedicated to game with Tarot cards at the end of the fifteenth century ... which is very interesting but totally disconnected from the alchemic pictures of S-BT.

As confirmed by prof. Gnaccolini in the catalogue of the exhibition at the Pinacoteca di Brera (''Il segreto dei segreti''), this deck contains many references to medieval Alchemy... but prof. Gnaccolini doesn't mention ever Di Vincenzo, although it is evident that he read his book.

Well. Because I knew the deep alchemical knowledge of Sofia Di Vincenzo, I can confirm that his book is a milestone in the history of the Tarot.
Di Vincenzo was a pioneer in this field, as in the past were Antoine Court De Gebelin, Etteilla, Eliphas Levi, Aleister Crowley... just for say someone.
So, like all great teachers, Sofia Di Vincenzo will be surpassed by some students. What is important is that someone will remember her and her work.

I own many of the writings that Sofia Di Vincenzo I left before he died and I can say that was a great Teacher of Life and Thought.

The merit of Sofia di Vincenzo in Tarot history lies in having indicated, before any other scholar, that the S-BT is explicitly an alchemical deck and therefore it must be used in the light of the Philosophy that created it.
GB
Thank you, Giordano. Sofia's book looks only at the Majors, is that correct? Will yours include a discussion of the Minors?

giordanoberti

Sofia Di Vincenzo's book on Sola-Busca Tarot

Hi,
the Sofia's book explain all the 78 cards of S-BT. She give, for each card:
- CARD'S TITLE
- brief description of the image
- meanings of the symbols and colors
- a brief sentence
- divinatory meanings

Although it was released in 1995 (in Italian) and in 1998 (in English) Di Vincent's book is the most comprehensive study on the S-BT.

GB

Thank you, Giordano. Sofia's book looks only at the Majors, is that correct? Will yours include a discussion of the Minors?

giordanoberti

Colors of Sola-Busca cards

I'm sure that purple color in Lo Scarabeo edition of sola-Busca Tarot is not faithful to the original of 1491 because it is a modern remake.
If the Il Meneghello deck have the same colors of Lo Scarabeo, means that it has the wrong colors.
I compared the Mayer's deck with the images in the catalogue of the Pinacoteca di Brera and it seems to me that the printing of Mayer is a little darker (very few).
To get the exact colour perception we should compare the Mayer's deck with the original cards in Brera.

GB

What about the hues: Do the red colors of the orignial look more orangey like in the Mayer edition or more purpleish like in both the Lo Scarabeo and the Il Meneghello edition?

giordanoberti

Giordano Berti's book on Sola-Busca Alchemy

Well, when the book will be ready you will get the news in this Forum.

GB

What about the hues: Do the red colors of the orignial look more orangey like in the Mayer edition or more purpleish like in both the Lo Scarabeo and the Il Meneghello edition?

victoria.star

I just received this lovely deck. How beautiful it is and I feel honored to be a caretaker of the beautiful stories it tells!

McFaire

I would definitely participate in a study group for this deck

giordanoberti

Sola-Busca Tarot: two prints from beginning of 19th century

Recently I purchased from an antique dealer two pages containing some cards of the Sola-Busca Tarot.
The pages are without doubt etchings dating to the early of 19th century, when ownership of the deck was the Busca-Serbelloni family in Milan.
I start immediately looking for news; I will put them here and in the blog Sola-Busca Tarot Mayer 1998
solabuscatarot1998mayer.wordpress.com

Giordano Berti

PS
I would add here a jpg with detail of the etching at low resolution, but is not possible (I dont know why).

LadyDeborah

Could someone tell me how much this deck is in U.S. dollars, please? I don't see on the website where or how to order. It is certainly beautiful. Thanks!

The crowned one

I have the deck, I do not recall the price, but it was ridiculously cheap for what I got. The seller is a kind, polite, literate man, and the deck was worth 50% more then the asking price in my opinion. Remember when this edition is gone...that is it. The printer, MAYER, is sadly dead.

http://solabuscatarot1998mayer.wordpress.com/about/

DeToX

Congratulations on the find Giordano! :)