Soooooo do I NEED the Tyldwick Tarot?

starlightexp

I've been watching the Tyldwick for quite some time and can't decide if I want it or now. For people that have it do you use it? How well does it read for you?

jolie_amethyst

I have it and love it. But you might search the Pros and Cons threads for "Tyldwick"; the best descriptive posts for that deck are in there, and I found both sides to be very accurate in what they posted--good AND bad!

For what I use it for, it's amazingly effective. But it's not a general purpose deck for me, and not something I would pull out to read for others. My copy passed through several sets of hands, which I think says a lot about how many people find it gorgeous, but hard to read.

magpie9

Nobody Needs the Tydwick. It is frivilous, oblique, and decidant.It is the last gasp of Marie Antoinette and her king. For this you want to pay money? You can't even see the cards..all cobwebs and dust bunnies and dusty fru fru illlegable decedance.
just keep walkng. There are better things in store for you.Really.

Le Fanu

Go magpie, sell it to him! Frivolous, decadent, oblique and with the heavy breathing of Marie Antoinette to boot. I couldn't have swayed him better myself.

I love it so I have only praise. Difficult to read, perhaps, but you need to sit back and feel those atmospheres rise like smoke off rooftops. Not it's not easy. Thank god there are decks like this. Best for introspection. When reading for others I find I need immediate reactions from the cards so it might not be the best choice in that sense. With this deck it's like they have to marinate a little before the full flavor of a reading comes out. Give me difficult and beautiful any day. But starlight, aren't you someone who immediately likes to see clear evidence of suit symbols in very card? Look carefully as you might find some cards less obvious. I don't demand this of my decks but I know I have noticed a slight lack of obviousness in some cards though I like that. It's all part of the experience of peering into the dusty attic half-light. I think it's a very European deck - I'll explain myself better when I have more time - dashing out to work right now. But with that love of decay and romantic atmospheres, of crumbling beauty.

Hemera

Go magpie, sell it to him! Frivolous, decadent, oblique and with the heavy breathing of Marie Antoinette to boot. I couldn't have swayed him better myself.
Haha :D
I had it, I never used it and so I sold it. I just couldn´t read with it. I found myself just staring at the pictures in a reading but couldn´t really come up with anything
And now magpie makes me want to buy it again. Marie Antoinette, oooh, never thought about that, wow. :bugeyed:

starlightexp

I loved the deck back when it was being created and adore it artistically so just on the merit of that I would buy it, but I was wondering how well it read for those that have it. I have seen in several threads early on the several people that got them did just not like them and posted them up on Trading and others loved it. Nothing new, because that can happen with any deck, but now that time has passed and it's been out a while I was seeing how useful the deck has been to those that kept it.

PathWalker

Do you think you'll ever want to read for yourself and be filled with hopeless nostalgic longing, or have the hairs on the back of your neck rise up as a shadow flits past the corner of your eye, and away down the corridor into another card?

I wouldn't read for others with it perhaps, but I love it very much.

Pathwalker :)

agviz

I've hardly read with it. This would be my kind of deck, as it has a very haunting quality. And the artwork and designs are excellent. The problem for me is the grunge treatment applied to virtually every card, and the lack of contrast that took what would have been a beautiful creepy deck and muddied it up.

Don't get me wrong - I like grungy, rotten, dilapidated scenes. That's not my issue with this. The issue is the loss of focus. The indiscriminate use of grunge applied like a wash across everything. And that lack of contrast seals the coffin.

I love the notion behind this deck - the artist is very clever in that respect - and I am pretty certain I would be reading with it far more often had it not had these qualities.

gregory

I have read with it and it did MUCH better than I expected.

More to the point - I take into account who's asking. I would say "no, don't buy it" to a lot of people here, as it is very - different - but starlight - I DO actually think it would gel for you; I think you'd "get it". I can see a hint of that in Pathwalker's post - that sounds like you to a T, somehow !

karen0205

I was very excited watching those cards come to life and the deck come together.
The color palette is beautiful, it was really a deck I wanted. My disappointment came when
I got the deck and realized that the cards all look too similar. The treatment to make them
look old or tea-stained, whatever that treatment is, was applied too heavily. I don't want to have
to study a card to figure out which one it is. It's a shame, I think the style and colors are
wonderful but the treatment applied to them really takes away from them instead of enhancing.
I wish he would consider reprinting and removing some of the foggy details. I don't know
if anyone has brought these issues up to him though. He might not even know people have a difficult
time discerning images.

Take a look at a few scans.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tyldwick/

-