Sorta newbie with a question about clubs

Ruya

Hi everyone! I'm new to AT but not to cards. I've read for friends & family for 20+ years, & the last couple of years I've been slowly coming out of the closet, so to speak, to more and more people and reading more for the public at little festivals or events here & there - and getting paid for it, yay ;). Everyone has been great and things keep falling into place, so I know I'm on the right path. I've got a couple of things on the horizon this summer already, which is fantastic, but they're in a nearby city, not my small (military) town. I'm getting ready to hang my shingle locally, under my real name, and that's kinda skeery :D There's a variety of people here because of the military, however it's still not a big town and on the whole is conservative.

I had the idea to approach a few clubs about doing readings for Valentine's Day, since it is on a Friday this year (and on pay weekend). But, I don't know the best way to approach a club to do this. Call? Email? My initial idea was to walk around offering single card readings for $5 with my Romance Angels deck. But I think I'd rather sit instead of shoving through the drunken masses to approach a group who may or may not be receptive to me.

Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, suggestions? :)

Apollonia

If you can work it into your schedule, my suggestion would be to go to the clubs in person and ask to speak to the manager, rather than calling or emailing (even if that means in some cases you need to return later to speak with the proper person).

First impressions are very important, and you want to control as much of that first impression as you can, clothing, grooming, demeanor etc., things that will not be apparent if you phone or email.

If you were asking about connecting with a metaphysical shop or psychic fair, phone or email wouldn't be an issue, but for people who are not used to dealing with readers, I feel it's a good idea to let them see who you are.

Ruya

Thanks Apollonia! They were locked up tight yesterday on my way home, so I'll call & email and mention I did stop by. Maybe see if there's a better time to go by & meet with a manager about it.