True or false?

spicycat46

Is it true you're meant to receive your tarot deck as a gift other than buying it yourself? And that if not, your readings wont be accurate!

I don't believe in it! I bought mine from eBay and I've done a cleansing ritual with sage.

Alta

Definitely false. Decks you buy yourself work just fine.

rwcarter

That is one of many tarot myths that is not true.

Chimera Dust

No, it's not true. That belief exists about the first deck, and while there are many explanations about how it came to be, it's not really true (although of course, you're free to believe in it and follow it).

I bought my first deck for my myself. Never cleansed it. It worked just fine. The only inaccuracies came from the fact that I was a beginner and that I didn't really click with the deck. Not the fact that I've bought it.

Starshower

Breathing sage smoke or any other (carbon black) is bad for you. Like barbeques & charcoal, all smoke from organic compounds contains toxic, cancer-causing chemicals. It doesn't 'cleanse' anything - it dirties things. If you are worried about thoughts & feelings, then remember that these arise in the consciousness & emotions of people, not things.
The accuracy of one's readings only depends on you - your intuition, insights, honesty, imagination, knowledge, intent, etc. Enjoy your new deck! :)

spicycat46

Thank you all, I was right not to believe in it, especially since no one would ever buy me one as a gift.

SunChariot

Is it true you're meant to receive your tarot deck as a gift other than buying it yourself? And that if not, your readings wont be accurate!

I don't believe in it! I bought mine from eBay and I've done a cleansing ritual with sage.

False. It's another Tarot superstition. There are SO many of those around. I have 116 decks and I bought most of them myself. Maybe 6 or 116 decks were gifts of exchanges. And I saw any difference between the ones I bought and the ones I received as gifts. No my readings were not more accurate with the gifts. Yes it makes them special when you get them from people you care about, but do they read differently, no.

And also I have never cleansed my decks in any way and I never had any need to.

Babs

nisaba

<grin> There's a hugely amusing thread somewhere here on the totally false myths that you hear about decks, readers and readings. This one belongs in there.

SunChariot

The best one I read on here was that you can't read Tarot with your legs crossed. LOL

Babs