Spiral Tarot - How good is it?

ana luisa

I don´t find it beautiful. In fact, the drawings are totally unappealing to me. However, it´s been calling me for quite a long time. I´m one of those weird people who read better with decks they find "ugly". But, for some reason, it looks amazingly deep and I can really see myself getting loads of inuitive flashes with it. If you use it, have it, how good is the deck? Paper quality? Size? Readability? I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks :)

Sidhe-Ra

Beautiful art, (to me!), but horrid, horrid borders and shiny stock :(

Blessings,

Em x

sleepingcat

my mother has it and enjoys using it, her stock wasnt absurdly shiny and it's somewhere along the lines of a Bicycle Bridge Deck about size and shuffling.

I dont care for it because of the era, I have a hard time going into that "mind" and mood of her deck. She loves that period and associates better with it.

the borders and the backs clash drastically x.x;

But I made her a blue linen bag with gold lining.... seems to balance it out.

Sulis

I had it and traded it away simply because I couldn't stand the purple borders - they made me feel quite sick.
It's a very small deck (otherwise I would have trimmed it to get rid of the borders) and the lamination on mine wasn't too shiny but the newer ones may be - it's a U S Games deck and they're latest lamination seems to be too thick and plasticy for a lot of people.

If you're drawn to it then I say get it. It's a lovely deck to read and some of the cards are just gorgeous, The Devil who holds up a mirror to show the true self and the 4 of Swords spring to mind.
The Court cards are very good too. They have lots of personality and so are very easy to read.

ana luisa

Boy, it does seem like the borders are the most hideous of all borders LOL! No one seems to like them. I don´t mind them, though. I love the Voyager and find the beige border as yuky as it could be. Besides, it has nothing to do with the overall colorful mood of the deck. However, if the readability is good, I may go for it. Still interested in other opinions.Thank you for your insights!!

bleuivy

I trimmed off the borders, and that made the deck much better (to me), and not too small. With those borders I wouldn't have been able to use it at all.

The card stock isn't great, though. The cards slip and slide against each other making any shuffling method I've tried really hard to work with. It's a shame because some of the pictures are quite lovely.

Emily

The Spiral was one of the first decks I ever bonded with. I love the images - the Majors are lovely, very detailed but alot of people are put off by the Minors because they are done is a very different style, 18th Century to honor Kay Steventon's grandmother.

But it is still a really nice deck, I don't use it as much now, I think I just moved on. :)

Dwaas

ana luisa said:
If you use it, have it, how good is the deck? Paper quality? Size? Readability? I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks :)

The Spiral is one of the best decks ever made.
It is indestructable, hardly ever seen such great quality. It is glossy and that's beautiful for this deck. It is a small deck which is perfect for small hands and for taking it with you on the fly. It reads very easy and intuitive. I like it that it has symbols for astrology, kabalah and alchemy as well but you do not need these symbols to read the cards. The pink borders do not go very well with the small red border or the blue back but that is what I like as it is funny and strange at the same time. Many many details, wonderful colors and while the minor arcana differs from the major arcana it is not of lesser quality, just different. Funny strange small beautiful deck, and very accurate too.