Spread for beginners

jaled

Hi all!

Can you suggest me any general spread? I'm a beginner in Tarot.

TIA!.

KnightOfWands

Hi there,

I used a 2 card spread when I was a beginner. I ask a question and the first card was basically the answer, and the second card was a clarifyer and helped define what the first card was about if it wasn't obvious.

Eternal Sunshine

I started out with the celtic cross. lol. but if your looking for easy i would say the 3 car past present future.

rwcarter

There are a number of different 3 and 5 card spreads listed here in the Tarot Spreads Index that's located at the top of the Tarot Spreads forum.

HTH,
Rodney

jaled

Thanx

Thank you very much for your kind answers, my friends :)

Martina

I started out with the Celtic Cross, then I developed my own. I had to experiment a little to see what worked best for me and what didn't.

I'm sure you'll find that certain spreads just don't work for you. Celtic Cross didn't work for me at all, nor does the 3-card "Past, present, future" work.

But I'm more of a put the cards down, interpret them as a whole type reader. But it took a good many months to get to that point.

I would read up on spreads, use what you find appealing, and keep a journal of how those spreads worked for you. Then sort of branch out.

Hope this helps!

Canopicdoll

Hi just wanna share my experience on this topic. Generally people will go for smaller spreads which they find easier to interpret. However for myself, I find large spreads easier to read.

In a 1-3 card spread, the message might not be that clear as there's no other cards to support. Its feels highly condensed. With more cards, I'm often able to better associate the true meanings easier. Of course that might just me and being a newbie in tarot.

RHJ1967

I am a big fan of the Celtic spread as well, and it's one my spiritual adviser strongly recommended me to start with long ago. I still use it frequently as a "general" reading (say if the person doesn't want to share a specific issue that they are trying to figure out).

RHJ1967

RE: Canopicdoll's post (I messed and didn't do the quote thing properly. 'GRR!')

To add to my other response, I agree with this view. I, especially when beginning, never felt complete with such small spreads and found I preferred, and still do, a broader spread that conveys more information.

tigerlily

I started with the Celtic Cross, because way back when there weren't that many Tarot books around, and they all had basically one spread - the CC. But it can be overwhelming for a beginner, especially when it comes to pulling the reading together into a coherent story.

I'd advise to start with just one card draws, until you can put the message into words. Just an example: if you'd want to know if you should decide for A or B and pull the Ace of Swords, do you look up its meaning in the book? If yes, it's not yet time to move on to bigger spreads ;) If, OTOH, a meaning/message pops into your head as soon as you turn over the card (for this example, it may be "all the facts are in the open, the decision is up to you." Keywords used: clarity, truth, decision), then you can start to lay out two, then three cards.

The advantage here is that you learn from the beginning to combine card meanings. Instead of assigning position meanings (for/against, or past/present/future), just let them flow together into one message.

When you feel comfortable with this, every other spread is open to you. You can break down virtually every spread into groups and subgroups until you arrive at card pairs and triplets, which you have already studied in great detail.