Spreads

Celtic_Dragon

Umbrae, Thank you sooo much for this thread. I was seriously thinking of posting one asking "what I should keep in mind when making a spread?" This helped alot because I have a particular case that a little more complicated than I 'should've' taken on but..... :p So I've been searching for a spread that might help but I couldn't find one which I felt comfortable with or felt 'fit' the situation....again, thanks soooo much!!

Sobeknofret

This thread couldn't have come at a better time! I loathe the Celtic Cross spread, and I kept trying to train myself to like it-- the way you train yourself to eat those squishy overcooked carrots when you're a kid because your mom won't let you up from the dinner table until you're done. Ick. Bad memories there... :(

Anyway, I hated it because it made no sense to me, and I couldn't keep track of what card meant what, and I thought it had too many cards in it. Recently I started trying it again out of a sense of obligation, and had the same failures. Now I have switched to using an 8 card spread, which number-wise is not much better, but it intuitively makes FAR more sense to me, so it works sooooo much better for me. And the amount of information I seem to be getting is stunning, more than the Celtic Cross ever gave me. Intuition is a highly underrated gift when spreading the cards I think.

Celtic_Dragon

Sobeknofret said:
This thread couldn't have come at a better time! I loathe the Celtic Cross spread, and I kept trying to train myself to like it-- the way you train yourself to eat those squishy overcooked carrots when you're a kid because your mom won't let you up from the dinner table until you're done. Ick. Bad memories there... :(

Squishy overcooked carrots, yea, I remember those, yuck!! ;)

azuremariposa

Sobeknofret said:

Anyway, I hated it because it made no sense to me, and I couldn't keep track of what card meant what, and I thought it had too many cards in it. Recently I started trying it again out of a sense of obligation, and had the same failures. Now I have switched to using an 8 card spread, which number-wise is not much better, but it intuitively makes FAR more sense to me, so it works sooooo much better for me. And the amount of information I seem to be getting is stunning, more than the Celtic Cross ever gave me. Intuition is a highly underrated gift when spreading the cards I think.

hehe...i simply refused to eat cooked carrots (and as a child would puke up anything i was "forced" to eat...the adults learned rather quickly, i'd say :D hehe)...
in either case, Sobe, have you posted the spread you use? i, myself, am a Celtic Cross lover (pls, don't hold it against me), but it took yrs to get good enough at it where i can rattle off a reading in a heartbeat...i've recently become fascinated w/other people's spreads however and would love to see your 8 card version if you haven't already posted it (will go look in a min...if you have, PM me the thread ;))...
thanks! and many blessings to you!!

~azure

*edited to add* nope, didn't find it...:) i'd still love to see it, Sobe...whenever you have the time to post it...:D

catti

about the form and function...

hmmm. i thought it was going to be architechtural drawing instead of biology....but to get back to the point, I ,like azure ,am a celtic cross lover ( although i agree the name is crazy) but i always liked putting my foundation card as a 4 card because it made sense to me- both at the bottom of the cross ( it is in the position of foundation) and the number...now the cards 7,8,9,10 that usually go in a line to the right, i think you can place them above , below , or around...whatever pleases your idea of form and function.
which make me think that magpie is right and wrong, it doesnt matter how you choose to lay out your cards, but once you assign meaning to their positions then where the cards are (especially in relation to each other ) become very important. In fact that is why i tink i like the big spread so much is the way the cards colour each other and form a storyline...i never get that from the smaller spreads