Stages of Development

satine

Yesterday I made a spread based on Erik Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development, and I was amazed at how perfectly the spread worked for both me and my husband. I don't want to make this post too long and tiresome by giving lengthy information on Erikson's theories of development, but suffice it to say that there is a "task" for each stage of ego development. For instance, the first stage is when an infant learns either trust or mistrust, depending on whether or not the infant is in a nurturing, predictable environment. Modern psychologists tend to agree that even if there are "stages" of development, people may revisit these various stages of development throughout their lives. Just to give a general timeline, though, the first four stages cover a person's childhood, through about age 12; the fifth stage represents the central task of adolescence, and the final three stages occur respectively at early, middle, and late adulthood.

Ego Tasks for each stage of development:

1. Trust (vs. Mistrust)
2. Autonomy (vs. Shame/Doubt)
3. Initiative (vs. Guilt)
4. Industry (vs. Inferiority)
5. Identity (vs. Role Confusion)
6. Intimacy (vs. Isolation)
7. Generativity (vs. Stagnation)
8. Integrity (vs. Despair)

Because the first four stages are largely a result of what has been "done to" a person and the final four stages represent what a person chooses to do as an individual, I have the cards in two rows of four, like so:

5____6____7____8____
1____2____3____4____

Feel free to do an internet search on this theory of development, because the more you understand about each stage, the more meaningful each card in the spread becomes. I'd be happy to post a sample reading using this spread (I guess I'd put it under the Your Readings thread), if anyone would like for me to do so... It's amazing the insight this spread can yield! I just thought I'd share this, in case anyone else would be interested in trying out this spread.

Astraea Aurora

Hi satine,

with a little help from Wikipedia I think I understand your spread now. Wow, I admit, it sounds very profound by simply reading it. What more if it's actually laid out! Well done :love: I'd love to see a sample reading, if you don't mind.

And I think those newer psychologists are right, I can't imagine a single human being going through that process only once in their life. Right now I see myself at the point of three different stages at the same time, so there must be more than one ride.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

satine

Astraea Aurora said:
Hi satine,

with a little help from Wikipedia I think I understand your spread now. Wow, I admit, it sounds very profound by simply reading it. What more if it's actually laid out! Well done :love: I'd love to see a sample reading, if you don't mind.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Thanks for checking it out. I'll post a sample reading using this spread as soon as possible-- hopefully tonight (on the Your Readings thread). I liked the idea of this spread, but it wasn't until I actually used it that I got really excited about the insight it can give. I'd love to hear how it goes for you as well if you use it later on, after you see my example. :) Thanks again.

Honda Civic

Okay.

I have nothing thoughtful to say, but I think this is so awesome.

satine

Honda Civic said:
Okay.

I have nothing thoughtful to say, but I think this is so awesome.

Thank you so much! :)

Kahlie

Very interesting Spread! I received 4 Court Cards and one Major Arcana... I'm going to work with this!

Thank you,

Kahlie

Sorrowsbane

This looks like a spread I'd like to try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

WalesWoman

I just saw this spread and think it's great. I've always thought tarot and psychology went well together. I can't wait to try this out.

The crowned one

Very good spread. I often use Maslow hierarchy when i am forced into a spread. I think you would do well with revisiting this basic theory, that I am sure you know well satine. Sometimes high intelligence, and heavy introspection can sort of push the basics needs/wants aside. We tend to over analyze and complicate. If the basics can not solve a problem(and that is rare) then I move on... I worry about the sequential emphasis of his( Erikson) work. but if you add Maslow to each stage I think we have one heck of a spread!

This is my style of reading! It empowers one :D

Edit: you put up some great posts! thought provoking and intelligent.

satine

The crowned one said:
Very good spread. I often use Maslow hierarchy when i am forced into a spread. I think you would do well with revisiting this basic theory, that I am sure you know well satine. Sometimes high intelligence, and heavy introspection can sort of push the basics needs/wants aside. We tend to over analyze and complicate. If the basics can not solve a problem(and that is rare) then I move on... I worry about the sequential emphasis of his( Erikson) work. but if you add Maslow to each stage I think we have one heck of a spread!

This is my style of reading! It empowers one :D

Edit: you put up some great posts! thought provoking and intelligent.

Thanks, TCO. Yes, I have played around with a Maslow spread as well... I personally wouldn't want to "mix" the two theories within a spread, but I should try it just to see for sure... Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory is one that we discuss in a couple different psychology courses that I teach. Interesting stuff! I agree with you, Waleswoman, that psychology and tarot go quite well together.

S- I do lean toward over-analysis at times, but luckily I am surrounded by loved ones (including my husband) who keep me "light" and laughing. ;)