Stumped

samantha

Not too sure about this throw .

I wanted to know how someone , linked to my husband , felt about me this evening .

Using the universal fantasy this was what I drew :

2 swords , Queen Pentacles , Strength

2 swords : we were discussing alot of , unresolved , issues ....so maybe they saw me as the woman dipicted here : Unable to find a solution to currewnt problems and sitting on the fence ?

Queen pentacles : Otherwise ..... I came across as kindly and giving ?? ( I tried hard to include everyone in the group in the talk .....perhaps a more generous atmosphere than they are used to . Its very much a dog eat dog culture here )

Strength : I held my own and wasn't psyched out by some of the other speakers ( who are used to the 'avid' audience )

Hmm. Really not sure what to make of this . I got the feeling that the guy in question was interested in me on a personal level ( not related to my husband or what I was talking about particularly ) but maybe I'm wrong here . The cards , from my point of view , seem to be talking about what happened , not how he felt . Still , I'll post and see what others can make of it . Thanks !

starrystarrynight

You know, samantha, I could be way off here, but if this man is of the same ethnicity as your husband, I am feeling a prejudice here on some level of this reading. Yes, I can see that he could well be attracted to you, and he feels that he could "conquer" you (Strength) in a passionate sense. But I get the sense that he feels that way because of the Two of Swords and Queen of Pentacles (which I see as incompatible, and therefore, more negative or "reversed" than usual upright meanings would suggest.) So, he sees you as someone who is not as true to your husband as you "should be" (or who could easily be swayed not to be) because of a preconceived duplicity he sees in you (as a foreigner to your husband's land/culture.)

The Two of Swords is in the position usually associated with the Past, so, these make me think of long-held preconceptions/prejudices on his part.

Strength also has the element of the seeker's need to use diplomacy and to rein in some of her passions in order to best deal with a situation...so he may also have felt that you were somewhat outspoken--which, again, rails against the grain of tradition in your husband's culture--even while on another level, you intrigued him.

Is any of that possible? As I said, I could be way off here.

samantha

Wow SSN ! Thats some interpretation ! I'm most impressed !

There is a pre-conception here that western women are 'loose' compared to
Chinese counterparts . I guess it didn't occur to me that he might have this mindset because he is an "educated" man who has been outside the country. Oh dear ! Whose pre-conceptions are weighing in here now ??!!!!

Good point about Strength as being 'outspoken' . I can definately see this . Men at home say that I am "direct' ....so a double whammy here ! Of course I can , and do , rein this in ......but again , because of the environment ( they are all professors , or set to be ) it didn't occur to me to do so . And infact its been ok to speak my mind, in this context, in the past .

WAH ! You've really made me think ! Now I suspect that you're not far off the mark at all . CR** !

Still , many thanks for the heads up here .

Amanda

2 of Swords, Queen of Pentacles, Strength

Is there any chance this person could have seen you as repressing your own emotions to ensure the movement of the discussion in a helpful manner/positive direction? Like perhaps on some level this person thought you were easy to convince or something, overly accomodating... I can't seem to put my finger on the *right* word I'm feeling here... but does that make sense at all?

samantha

Well yes and no !! :) Like I said , I did make the effort to get everyone talking as I've been at gatherings before where junior staff etc are ignored , but on the other hand I ended up contradicting this particular guy a couple of times . So I don't think I would have seemed easy to convince , and I definately didn't feel that I was repressing anything ! I had fun ! Tho' in retrospect ....... :(

Barbaras Ahajusts

Their opinion isn't firm, at the moment. To much power in who you are & how you handled yourself.
Don't worry about it. You can't change another person's perception of who you are.

Barbara

re-pete-a

2 Swords

Yes there is an interest , though it appears to be on your side .
Yes he was courious about you, but from an interesting and observational point of view.

Qn Pents
He found you very down to earth as well as informative. In possesion of (for him)a rare understanding of the larger picture .

Strength.
This card confirms the fact that he feels your a step above the adverage.He feels you have your act together, and that was a surprise to him.

It seems the interest you felt was his respect for your intelligence.
The real issue is your interest in him.

Fostha

2 swords at the start straight away says to me "I dont wanna get involved",eyes shut,arms crossed,so maybe your husband had been waffling to this chap beforehand about you down the pub or something,and wanted someone to try doing something on his behalf,queen pents and strength would indicate a woman who has no trouble taking care of themselves to me,queen is quite self sufficient/reliant,and strength is just supporting this.As long as you had fun,thats the main thing,life really is too short.If you can laugh at yourself,you'll have a constant source of amusement.As Starry suggests,maybe the 2 men really do share certain similarities/traits that may seem acceptable to them,but not tolerable to you,and this would help to reinforce the fact why your husband went straight to "this" chap first.

willowfox

2 swords A man of two minds, a man sitting there watching you, debating with himself as to the best course of action

Queen pents This is the interest that you felt, the need to get involved with you, the need to pay attention to you and what you were saying.

Strength Is about tolerance, and it seems that you were challenging him the other night, obviously not on purpose, you were speaking up where it is to be expected that you stay in the background and don't ask questions or even venture to give an opinion to these wonderfully educated teachers.

So, he was fascinated by your lack of discretion, and was thus keenly interested in how the "western" woman sees herself as the equal to everyone, and does not recognize the hierarchy involved where you live. It seems that he wanted to say something but his annoyance was overcome by Strength.

samantha

Barbara , Re-pete-a , Fostha , Willowfox :) :) :) :) Many thanks for all your wonderfully insightful replies ! In the cold light of , er , mid-afternoon I'm thinking get over it and ever onwards ..... X

Barbara : Right . This was the first time we had met so he didn't have too much to go on (tho' would undoubtedly have got the 'gossip' on me !) Ok. I won't worry . I'll be up on the tables doing the flamenco next time ;)

Re-pete -a : "He feels that you have your act together , and that was a surprise to him ." Hmm. I'm wandering if this is due to something he had heard (some gossip cf " can she fit in here ? Is she happy ? ") Quite , quite possible.

Fostha : " ...as long as you had fun , thats the main thing " . In my heart I concur ! Only here people are much more careful about 'letting themselves go' . Theres always someone watching , judging and criticising your actions ....and then theres the subsequent gossip . And reputations can be shredded by such .

Willowfox : " (QOP) ...the need to pay attention to you and what you were saying ." Right ! Knowledge is power .....( here I mean being able to pigeon hole me , not my knowledge !)