Surprising Disappointments

kell

Fiver, you've given me the courage to admit publicly that I'm not a fan of Marseilles and Swiss 1JJ. And it's not just the pips. It's the majors. I appreciate the symbolism, but I cannot connect. I think it may be historical decks in general I can't connect with.
(...and I wanted to add, that I really thought I would associate with the Swiss 1JJ, in particular. I love the Sun card in this deck and they were the first Tarot images I was ever exposed to- in a movie I saw as a kid, but it left a big impression :) )

Lux Nocturna

Wizards Tarot. It was one of my first decks and I thought it was a nice concept, I liked some of the images I saw online and I thought it would be a great deck for learning. I do still think it's a pretty and well thought out deck, BUT after I got it I just couldn't get over the photo-realistic faces (as someone already mentioned, they remind me of people in real life and it's distracting) and the whole photo-manipulation look altogether.
Also the association of Pentacles with winter doesn't feel right for me and then the Court cards just completely ruined it, can't connect with them at all. I'm still keeping it in my collection but I don't think I will be using it for readings.

Shadowscapes for a different reason.. I absolutely adore the artwork, it's probably one of my favorite decks, even though I agree it might be difficult to read with for some people. I only use it for myself and I don't think I would ever use it with other people.
However, the major problem I have with it is that the card stock is absolute sh*t! I have the edition with the LWB and oh god how it chips and scuffs almost just by looking at it! That artwork deserves (or better yet demands) not only a better card stock but a larger format as well. Also the silver borders are distracting and unnecessary. What a shame.

ldiddy

Maybe it's not surprising to others, but I was really disappointed by Tarot Illuminati. I was so excited by seeing the colors, interpretation, and presentation on-line, but when I saw in person, the whole thing was a giant THUD. It was one of the first decks I bought and still was a learning experience for me (i.e. ok, I do NOT like digital looking/overly busy decks even if they are borderless and with a "better than LW"B).

JankaV

hmm...wildwood. the cards feel cheap (like Sharman-Caselli, which I just traded away). and the images- some I love and some I'm just ehhhh. I also wish there weren't the key words.

Scarlet Woodland

hmm...wildwood. the cards feel cheap (like Sharman-Caselli, which I just traded away). and the images- some I love and some I'm just ehhhh. I also wish there weren't the key words.

Have to agree on the Wildwood. I didn't know the first thing about cardstock when I first got this but was still really disappointed. A big flake even chipped off the border of one in the first few shuffles and I was reeeaaally gentle. The keywords throw me as well.

That said, trimming away the white border did make an instant, dramatic difference for the better... so I've put it away for a couple months till I can go back to it with fresh eyes. Am hoping once I've put the initial disappointment behind me I can start from a clean slate as there was a lot I liked about this deck before I noticed the problems. I've loved all the artist's other decks so its a real shame to see his work treated as it has been in its reproduction. Fingers crossed I can learn to love this one too after a break.

Emily

1JJ Swiss

Even though I'm starting to really get into the TdM Burdel I'm using I still can't connect to the 1JJ Swiss. I thought I would but the pips still don't speak to me like the Burdel I'm using. I am a little disappointed the 1JJ Swiss is one deck that I really would like to use because it was my first tarot deck as a teenager but was put away because I couldn't use it.

dancing_moon

1JJ Swiss

Emily, I've found that every TdM has a distinct 'voice' that needs time to be heard and appreciated. As much as I'd like my every deck to be as chatty and open as Vandenborre, it's just impossible. :) And my 1JJ seems to be more 'reserved' than 'classical' TdMs for some reason. But giving it more practice without comparing to other decks has helped me to recognize its unique voice and read its messages more clearly.

Emily

Emily, I've found that every TdM has a distinct 'voice' that needs time to be heard and appreciated. As much as I'd like my every deck to be as chatty and open as Vandenborre, it's just impossible. :) And my 1JJ seems to be more 'reserved' than 'classical' TdMs for some reason. But giving it more practice without comparing to other decks has helped me to recognize its unique voice and read its messages more clearly.

I think you may be right there - the 1JJ Swiss feels more like a Soprafino and even though the pips are decorative and colourful, they don't pull me in - maybe I shouldn't be comparing it to the Burdel TdM I'm using.

JankaV

Does anybody know if the 2003 (I think that was first print) Wildwood card stock differs from the 2011? Scarlet, good idea trimming. I'm too afraid to do it though! :)

madhatter00o

So far, at least, I can say that I've never been so disappointed with a deck that I can't get over it.

However, I did feel some strong pangs of heartache when I got the Amano Tarot, which took me forever to find a decently priced version in good condition, and it had unillustrated pips. I probably could have done a little more research online to prepare myself for this major surprise about the Minor Aracna (hehe... ahem), but oh well. This deck has my favourite Tower. And I'm learning how to read unillustrated pips, anyways. ^_^

The only other thing that's less than perfect regarding decks I've purchased is the Number cards of the Book of Azathoth. The daemonic figures half- creep me out, half- look ridiculous. Maybe I'll feel better about it nearer to Halloween. >_<;; The Majors are gorgeous, though, so I'm pleased with it overall.