Symbols-King & Queen of Swords

Phaedra

tarobones said:
Anybody know why the King of Swords is perched so regally right on the edge of a cliff? It has always intrigued me. BB, Michael

High, windswept cliffs are part of elemental Air imagery.

seawomyn

Symbols-King & Queen of Swords Reply to Thread

The symbol that's interesting me is the crescent moon/horns. They are facing outward on the queen's throne and inward on the kings.

I was noticing that horned beasts or paired crescent moons are on all the king/queen cards. Interesing.

Fulgour

Now, what can it possibly Signify ?

seawomyn said:
The symbol that's interesting me is the crescent moon/horns. They are facing outward on the queen's throne and inward on the king's.
A waning crescent Moon looks like a C ( < )
and a waxing crescent a backwards C ( > )

On the King we see them paired ( < )( > )
which would give a New Moon in between

On the Queen we see them paired ( > )( < )
which would give a Full Moon in between

waning ( < ) NEW ( > ) waxing

waxing ( > ) FULL ( < ) waning

seawomyn

yes, I realize that. But what does anyone think about the horned/crescent moon on all the king queen cards and why the waning, waxing element which is not consistent between queen and king if we also view horns as crescent moons and crescent moons as horns. It's intriguing.

seawomyn

In looking at my last post, I realized that I was a little abrupt and many would appreciate your explanation of waning and waxing symbolism, Foulgar, sorry. But do you have any thoughts on the why?

Fulgour

Hi Seawomyn

We often find special details when we are open to them.
Each of the Court Cards does have an elemental theme,
with astrological associations. Throughout the Tarot we
can find a pattern of Moon and/or Sun correspondences.

If you think of The High Priestess as the embodiment of
the Moon, rather than the card actually called The Moon,
then you have to figure out which card is really the Sun.
And the best clue is, it's not the card that has that name.

lark

I have noticed that the Knight and Page of Swords only have half a sword showing.
I have often wondered if this was intentional or just the way the printer put the picture on the card stock.

In the Christian religion a butterfly means resurection.
And is a symbol of Jesus Christ.

seawomyn

Hi Fulgour, Given my own feelings and thoughts about the tarot and the parallels I think your running, I am inclined to say The Fool. Interesting question.

seawomyn

Another thought along those lines. It has alway interested me that the moon card has the moon contained in the sun.

kwaw

lark said:
In the Christian religion a butterfly means resurection.
And is a symbol of Jesus Christ.

The butterfly is also a symbol of the soul, connecting with the swords as symbol of vau, ruach [wind, spirit, the divine son/sun].

Kwaw