Tarot and Handicrafts

Majecot

aaahhhh! Women after my own heart! I LOVE making things... I only wish my daughter would take an interest. She told me I have to teach my grandaughter :) because it's cool, but she won't learn.

I never learned to tat but I still have my mothers old shuttle. Some day I will attempt to learn.

I have just started sewing a tarot bag, when my sewing machine pooped out, ( that was my mothers too). It will be an unfinished project until I get myself over to my sister in laws to borrow her's.

I am hoping Santa will be good to me in that respect this year :D

Kissa

Sewing

I love X stsitch but i am hopeless in sewing. The only tarot bag I ever sew, well er... dh sew it! Honest! This is the marvellous thing about marrying a guy from upnorth, the new generation doesn't have a clue what being macho means! They clean up, iron, change diapers ;-)

I still plan to sew more bags, we bought really nice material to do more. Only this time, I might have to sew myself: dh doesn't seem to have the time at all ;-)

Kissa

Ps: dh did a great job, velvet bag has lining in matching colour!

Kiama

Both my Granny and Grandad are avid cross-stitchers, embroiders, knitters, crocheters... You name it, they do it!

One thing that interested me last time I visited their house, was that they've gone all hi-tech recently. They have a program on their computer, which enables you to put any picture you can scan onto it, and it will create the cross-stitch pattern for you. I believe they have the same thing for a knitting machine and embroidering.

So I suppose you could, if you had such a program, simply scan in a picture of any Tarot card you like, and turn it into a Cross-stitch pattern. :D

Kiama

PS- I used to be into handicrafts of the 'stuff with needles' kind, but I never really got the knack of it. My knitting was very... artistic. ("Knit one, purl one, knit one, drop nine, pick up three, end up with a holey triangle...")

Emily

I used to do alot of cross stitch, embroidery and crochet. But the only sewing I've done in a long time was a couple of months ago and I hand made a couple of bags for my Ancient Italian and Classical decks. I could never knit, I used to drop stitches and then that would be that lol. Crochet is better, you can usually sort out dropped stitches easily. My Nan knitted and crocheted until she was around 80 years old, then gave them both up when she couldn't do fine lace crochet anymore.

Myrrha

Kiama said:
One thing that interested me last time I visited their house, was that they've gone all hi-tech recently. They have a program on their computer, which enables you to put any picture you can scan onto it, and it will create the cross-stitch pattern for you.

Oooh! Yes, that is the kind of program I was referring to in my post. The thing is cross-stitch patterns can either be too crude, if the program separates it into too few colors, or have a great many widely separated single stitches of a certain color, which is a pain to stitch. So you would have to fiddle with the chart a little bit to get it right. :)

--Myrrha

Belladonna

I've done cross stitching in the past. It is time consuming, though. I got into quilting for awhile. My best friend is about a million times better at it than me, though, and it's a bit discouraging. I sew my own tarot bags from silk scarves I find at church bazarres. Oh, but to have beautifully carved wooden boxes... that would be the thing. I make jewlery now. Maybe I should make some beaded bags?

Mystic Zyl

I would like to have Christmas tree ornaments in tarot images. I think I'll take a deck and experiment with cutting it up and putting the on balls. I hope no one fainted, when I said cut up.

Emily

Hi Mystic Zyl,

Couldn't you scan your favourite cards from decks and use the scans instead of the actual card, you could then use coloured or glittered pens straight onto the scan of the card and then cut them to shape to fit whatever decoration you wanted them on. :)

Chronata

I am a bit envious of everyone here who can knit, crochet, tat, cross stitch and emboider! I am way too rebellious, I guess, to have the patience to follow a pattern, or to do repetitions.
(although, I admit I was a milliner's apprentice for three years!)

Don't know if this counts as handicraft, but I just made oodles of hand painted candleholders for an art fair, using my tarot designs. I also just did a bunch of ornaments as well (none of the ornaments sold, but that just means I can have a fortune tellers Christmas tree this year!)

oh...and I just made my first soap molds to make tarot soap! I don't like the way they came out so I will have to make some new ones when I am not so rushed! One little molded soap in each of the four suits, and one large bar wrapped in a Major Arcana design!

Now I just gotta find out who the heck would even want tarot soap!

Mystic Zyl

Oh Emily you are so smart! Yes that would be better to scan them. You know me too well when you speak of glitter!!!!