Tarot and kids

Grizabella

The Gummy Bear Tarot should be a good option.

greatdane

I think all your posts are so lovely. Children are naturally inquisitive and open and if they show interest, great. And there are SO many decks that can lend themselves to all ages and interests. Some children may be drawn more to dragons, some to gummy bears :).

Mageborn777

Child Friendly

I apologize for being away lately. Family emergency.
That being stated, the reason the Wizard's Pets Tarot exists is because my (then) 9 year old granddaughter asked for a deck. She, her Dad, and I are all very comfortable with her using my cards at home (the Steele Wizard) but the other side of her family are ultra Christian and find any nudity offensive to say the least. I didn't want her to have to deal with repercussions and truly enjoy learning tarot. As I was mentally inventorying the numerous child-appropriate decks, she looked up at me with her sky blue eyes and asked 'Will you make me one, Gramma?' Before my brain could disengage I replied 'Of course I will, Sweetheart!'
The entire goal was what the quote says. She can take it to school. Show anyone and everyone, while retaining the essential tarot elements. She can learn and grow with this deck. It follows the RWS protocol as closely as possible, and the poker sized cards are perfect for her little hands. Now, at 12 years old, she is still very petite and prefers her deck to others.
What started out as a project I planned on sending to a print on demand to get her a tarot deck has turned into something she wanted to share with others.
The characters were created in 1984 for a series of cartoon drawings. Later I played around with some stories. Today, they are a tarot for both children and those whose inner child needs something special.
I do hope everyone enjoys the Wizard's Pets Tarot adventure.

Sorry for the delay. I've been away from Aeclectic for a while, but I'm back now in force. ;o)

Yes! We gave him the Wizard's Pets Tarot for Yule and he adores the cards. He's taken to writing stories lately. When he gets stuck with what he wants to have happen next to his characters, I can suggest he go play with his cards and see if that gives him any ideas. He picks them up, sorts through the pictures or just picks a few at random, and then starts writing again. It's great. :)

I totally agree with many of you on your opinions of nudity in the cards. The problem is that the cards WILL find their way to school, and any unclothed figures WILL be a problem there. So anything that is expressly his has to be school-safe. I have no problems with him seeing the nudity cards in my decks at home, but they have to be my decks and not his.

Also, he has a tendency toward nightmares, so to avoid sleepless nights all around we needed a deck that didn't have very scary cards. Case in point - the other night I'd gotten a new deck and I let him look over my shoulder as I flipped through it. Of all the things he could have focused on, he chose the 10 of swords. He said "That's a lot of blood! I like mine better. It's just a doll." Then sorted through his deck to find his 10 of swords. That night he had a nightmare. He's seen his own 10 of swords plenty of times with no nightmare, but see it once in the Morgan-Greer and we're back to nightmare-land. :eek:/

Anyway, the Wizard's Pets is exactly what we needed at this stage. With it, my only worries about him taking it to school is that he might loose a card or two. The card stock is even something that I think will withstand a few wipings with a damp cloth after being handled by sticky fingers. Thanks, Pamela, wherever you are!

Mageborn777

Kids reading tarot

My sons and my grandchildren are all interested in tarot. Several of the group have learned and included their friends and cousins in the learning mix.
The glitch came when my (then) youngest granddaughter (whose other grandparents frown sternly on anything regarding nudity) asked for a deck. To solve the problem, she asked me to make her one. I did.
Following the RWS protocol to the letter, I created her a poker-sized, 78-card tarot with a color illustrated companion book and a 78-page coloring book all tucked inside a custom designed magnetic close treasure box. Its called the Wizard's Pets Tarot and there's a review on the deck under our reviews section.
What started as a project to give my granddaughter a deck she could take anywhere, took on a life of its own. I'm pleased to say so far everyone whose gotten one (or more) sets is very pleased with them. They're bright, easy to handle and although there's no nudity, dead people, or violence, they are a true tarot that anyone learning can grow with as they progress.

So out of no where my seven year old son decided my brand new Pocket Universal Waite deck was actually his and spent half of his free time tonight making up stories with the cards. Once I realized what was going on I discretely pulled out the handful of cards with nudity and decided to otherwise let him at it. After tonight, he's pretty much already memorized the basics of the Celtic Cross spread.

Does anyone here have kids who read tarot? Any advice for me?

Madrigal

My tween ds has a natural aptitude for reading. He's able to look at various cards and pull some really interesting inferences. His knowledge of Greek and Indian mythology is extensive and his Egyptian and Norse is not bad either. He regularly does a COTD draw. I often ask for his input when looking at a new deck or particular card. He has his favourites, Death, Seven of Cups, King of Cups, HP and the Moon to name a few. And he has fairly strong ideas about how they should be depicted. I love hearing his critique on those cards within a given deck. It's fresh, un-selfconscious and full of pithy insight as only a child can give. He likes the Illuminati and Vision Quest decks currently though he has issues with the Ace of Water/Cups in VQ as he feels the water should be flowing much more obviously up and down ;)