Tarot de Besançon

catboxer

I bought these cards about 10 years ago from a private dealer in the Netherlands, but this is the first time I've used them for a reading, and possibly the first time anybody has.

For a photograph of this read, see http://omnemmoverelapidem.blogspot.com/2011/04/tarot-de-besancon.html
and click on the image for a larger view.

The Renault Deck was made the old-fashioned way in Besançon, France nearly 200 years ago, printed from wood blocks and then hand colored by the artisan using four large stencils, then cut from the large sheets they were printed on into 78 approximately 4-1/2-inch by 2-1/2-inch cards. Their heavily-thumbed backs and the smell of strong tobacco that still lingers in the deck tell me they were used primarily for playing the game of tarot during most of their long life. All 78 cards remain in reasonably good condition considering their age and hard usage.

The woodblocks the cards were printed from weren't carved by the cardmaker Renault, but by an earlier artist, Jean Jerger, also of Besançon, in about 1800. Renault purchased them a few years later, but made his own stencils. The coloring of the Jerger deck was much more thoroughly and carefully done than that of the Renault cards, which appear somewhat slapdash in execution -- one of the reasons I love their unmistakable folk-art quality.

The Tarot de Besançon is based on but not identical to the Tarot de Marseilles. The cardmakers of this southern French city opted for a regional variation, made to placate the clerical authorities, and replaced the II - Female Pope and V - Pope cards with images of the Roman gods Juno and Jupiter. For card players the change was insignificant, since what matters in gaming is the value of each card rather than the symbolic meaning of its image. For card readers, however, the switch weakens the integrity of the tarot sequence.

So even though I've had this deck for 10 years, I hesitated to read with it. What I finally decided was that if Juno or Jupiter showed up in the spread, it would void the reading, and I went ahead with the result pictured here.

THE READING

Three cards from left to right. The three cups signifies indecision, hesitation, or confusion in matters of love. The female person in the center is the "Valet de Baatons" (sic), whom I conceptualize as what might be called "the Jill of clubs," is the individual referenced in the the three of cups.

The trump card on the right, designated "Capucin" (with a backward "N") in this deck, and called "the Hermit" in most modern tarots, was originally called either "Time" or "the Old Man" in the oldest decks, and was meant to be associated with the Greek god Cronos (Roman Saturn). His lantern was originally an hourglass, and he means to remind us that the passage of time is relentless and irreversible. Yes, it's true that I'm not getting any younger, but there's still plenty of life left in me, and I'm ready to meet that special someone who will confuse me, and cause me to hesitate and have hard time deciding.

(Refer to Stuart Kaplan, Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol. II, pps. 341, 342, 349, and 351.)

--30--

Moonbow

That was such a pleasure to read catboxer. :) It's good to see you posting here.

But to the cards... just lovely. I have the Meneghello Besancon so can follow along, however the commentary of your beautiful deck so inspires me to read with these which I haven't done up until now.

Mine has 'F.I' on the Chariot, and Taros Fin De I.B Benois A Strasbourg on the two of Cups. From the images you posted I think mine have more colour so its intriguing that your deck being original is less colourful. Perhaps Kaplan has the answers, as you say.

We really need to discuss this deck more.

Astraea

Like Evie, I have the Il Meneghello Besancon and simply love it. I agree that your post is a delight to read, catboxer.

Bertrand

Good evening,

Evie said:
Mine has 'F.I' on the Chariot, and Taros Fin De I.B Benois A Strasbourg on the two of Cups. From the images you posted I think mine have more colour so its intriguing that your deck being original is less colourful. Perhaps Kaplan has the answers, as you say.
This sounds perfectly normal : it's not the same deck, Besançon Tarots were only lately made in Besançon, they firtst appeared (probably) in Strasbourg early XVIIIth century (following Depaulis there's an error in Kaplan volume I first edition, don(t know if it was corrected afterwards) ; Jerger was born in Strasbourg. Benoit is dated ca.1720 if I remember correctly (one of the earliest with Laudier), while Jerger Tarot is from early XIXth century, so nearly a hundred years difference (with different molds and different stencils) certain explains the differences.

F.I are as in all the french compagnonic Tarot tradition the initials of the engraver (hence the II standing for Iean Ierger in Chariot for Jerger as he also carved the molds).

Bertrand

Bertrand

and thanks for the pictures btw, catboxer ! It would be a delight if you could post a picture of the cards' back too.

Bertrand

Moonbow

Sorry Bertrand I'm not understanding you. Though I can see that the decks are not the same I don't understand your comment:

".....firtst appeared (probably) in Strasbourg early XVIIIth century..." and "Benoit is dated ca.1720 if I remember correctly..."

Do you mean that catboxer's deck is later than the Meneghello reproduction that I have?

Bertrand said:
Good evening,

This sounds perfectly normal : it's not the same deck, Besançon Tarots were only lately made in Besançon, they firtst appeared (probably) in Strasbourg early XVIIIth century (following Depaulis there's an error in Kaplan volume I first edition, don(t know if it was corrected afterwards) ; Jerger was born in Strasbourg. Benoit is dated ca.1720 if I remember correctly (one of the earliest with Laudier), while Jerger Tarot is from early XIXth century, so nearly a hundred years difference (with different molds and different stencils) certain explains the differences.

F.I are as in all the french compagnonic Tarot tradition the initials of the engraver (hence the II standing for Iean Ierger in Chariot for Jerger as he also carved the molds).

Bertrand

Laura Borealis

The photo is incredible. Such beautiful cards. They must be a true pleasure to handle and work with.

Le Fanu

What a wonderful post catboxer. I only have the Meneghello Benois Besançon but it is one of my favourite decks. I am intrigued by this comment though:
catboxer said:
What I finally decided was that if Juno or Jupiter showed up in the spread, it would void the reading, and I went ahead with the result pictured here.
. Could you elaborate a little on this?

I love this deck and have always tried to be unfazed by the Jupiter/Junon additions.

catboxer

Evie, yeah Bertrand's right. That Benoit deck is way older than the Jerger, and maybe 100 years older than the Renault.

So for people who wanted to see some more of these cards, I did a quick scan and put it up at http://catboxx.blogspot.com/2011/04/picture-this.html. As with the other image, click on the picture for a larger view, then click again for maximum magnification.

There are lots of errors in language fundamentals here as we look at Le Pendv with it's backward "n," LeCharior which still bears Jerger's trademark, J.I. (Le Monde manages to get the "n" going the right way). The inscription on the deuce of cups is almost rubbed out and indecipherable, but I think it says "RENAULT/Fabricant de Cartes/Besancon" (or Besancin). The finger smudges on the lower left of the card back are evidence of heavy play.

I do enjoy handling at looking at these cards, except for the lingering odor of pipes and Gauloise cigarettes. I used to be a tobacco addict, but now I'm a nicotine addict, and memories remain.

@Le Fanu -- I guess I've always seen Juno and Jupiter as "fake" cards, as if they don't belong there. I picture some old bishop in Strassbourg or Geneva or somewhere getting out of bed feeling mean and going down to the tavern to tell that bunch of old farts who are always sitting in there smoking and playing cards that their souls are in mortal danger because they're playing with heretical images of the Holy Father and a blasphemous picture of a female in papal drag.

What it comes down to is a personal prejudice and preference in favor of the Marseilles deck, to such an extent that for me, it's the "real" tarot. So I can read with the Besançon, but I can't help thinking of it as an incomplete deck.

Thanks to all who left compliments.

Bertrand

Hello,

@Evie : yup as Catboxer said, Benoist is older, so your meneghello repro is not older obviously, but its model is definitely.

@Catboxer : thanks for the pictures especially the marbled back. I still need to investigate a lot about backs, but it seems that most Tarot in the XIXth century and even a bit before had those marbled backs, that's when the dominotier work no longer consisted of printing woodcut on paper but painting those "marble".
You wrote "There are lots of errors (...) LeCharior which still bears Jerger's trademark, J.I." but this particular detail is no error, as even if the cardmaker changed the mold to reflect his trademark on the 2 of deniers or other cards, the Chariot had to keep the signature from the engraver - in that case Jerger himself.
Your copy is certainly an older one since Renault is the first who succeded to Jerger. In a way this tarot is a peculiar pattern, the "Tarot de Jerger" being the first real Tarot de Besançon - from a geographic point of view - and this particular mold being the only one used in Besançon for nearly a hundred year.
catboxer said:
I picture some old bishop in Strassbourg or Geneva or somewhere getting out of bed feeling mean and going down to the tavern to tell that bunch of old farts who are always sitting in there smoking and playing cards that their souls are in mortal danger because they're playing with heretical images of the Holy Father and a blasphemous picture of a female in papal drag.
More probably in Strasbourg, but I doubt it was an episcopal decision - as explained elsewhere in this forum and in some papers by Depaulis. Those "laicized" tarots met their success in protestant areas, especially when the Tarot "de Besançon" was born, Strasbourg had a majority of protestants. Protestants were settling in Besançon since a while, and were well received : they obtained a church in 1793 and then again in 1805 and 1842, the period Jerger arrived. In swiss the "Besançon" pattern is also favored in protestant areas.
So it's more likely that an anti-catholic (or non-catholic-friendly) feeling obliterated the Pope and Popess in Tarot.

catboxer said:
What it comes down to is a personal prejudice and preference in favor of the Marseilles deck, to such an extent that for me, it's the "real" tarot. So I can read with the Besançon, but I can't help thinking of it as an incomplete deck.
I totally agree, but in a way, the history of cartomancy with Tarots started with the Besançon pattern too, as it officialy started with Court de Gébelin and the Comte de Mellet, the later described the Besançon deck (while the first - a noted protestant - used the standard Marseille pattern)

Bertrand