Who is The Bateleur?

foolish

Most of the interpretations of Le Bateleur which I have seen - later to become The Magician - depict the character as the Individual at the beginning of his spiritual journey, or as someone at the bottom of the social ladder who needs to climb up through the rest of the deck of moral or religious teachings. But are there clues which point to a different identity?

In the Marseilles deck, "Bateleur" means “street performer” or “mountebank” (one who tricks people out of their money). The French term indicates a “sleight of hand artist, a practitioner of stage magic.” (French Wikipedia)
The Italian word used for this card was "Bagatto" or "Bagatella," which means “a trifle, a thing of little importance.” It is the card which has been given the lowest importance in the deck, and has the least trick-taking power. Both the Italian and French terms suggest a lowly, if not derogatory, description of this character. It was only much later that Oswald Wirth (1860-1943) raised the Bateleur to the status of a “magus” or sorcerer.

So, the card seems to imply not just the lowly station or insignificance of the character, but also conveys the conjuring of tricks, a sleight of hand, deceit and fraud. In Hieronymous Bosch's painting, "The Conjurer," we can clearly see this meaning of the "Bateleur". Here, the street performer is providing tricks to deceive the public. And while this is being done, we notice that another person (perhaps his accomplice?), dressed in a monk's robe, is cutting the purse-strings of the onnlooker.

In the high Middle Ages leading up to the Protestant revolution, there was a broad undercurrent of questioning and skepticism regarding the workings of the Roman Catholic Church. These "alternate" ideas, by definition, were branded as heresy. However, to these groups of people (Cathars, Beguins, Umiliati, Manicheans, Paulicians, Spiritual Franciscans, etc.), it was the orthodox Church that was actually seen as misguided - decieving people with their false doctrine and/or way of living. Many members of the clergy displayed a degree of wealth which didn't seem consistent with the lifestyles of Jesus or the apostles, while many of the "priests" of these heretical sects adopted a more modest lifestyle of poverty and abstenance. It was generally accepted amongst heretical teachings that a priest who lived an immoral life had no ability in offering spiritual salvation to others. Another point of contention was the use of sacraments, such as the Eucharist, which was probably seen as the Catholic version of magic.

To the medieval consciousness, it may not have been too much of a stretch to put these two ideas together - that of the image of the "Bateleur" as a trickster, and that of the orhtodox Church as being a deceiver of the people. As we can see in Bosch's painting, the image acts as a sort of political cartoon. So in this sense, the question becomes, "Could The Magician be representing the Church in general, or even one of its members specifically?"

foolish

oops. I thought I uploaded a picture of "The Conjurer", but it apparently didn't show up. If anyone can explain how that works, please let me know.

Debra

After you click "manage attachments" and browse for the file, you have click "upload." If the file is too big, it won't stick. :)

Bertrand

foolish said:
In the Marseilles deck, "Bateleur" means “street performer” or “mountebank” (one who tricks people out of their money). The French term indicates a “sleight of hand artist, a practitioner of stage magic.” (French Wikipedia)
The Italian word used for this card was "Bagatto" or "Bagatella," which means “a trifle, a thing of little importance.” It is the card which has been given the lowest importance in the deck, and has the least trick-taking power. Both the Italian and French terms suggest a lowly, if not derogatory, description of this character.
In the modern french game, the atout/trump number one is still called "le petit" (the small one).
So, the card seems to imply not just the lowly station or insignificance of the character, but also conveys the conjuring of tricks, a sleight of hand, deceit and fraud.
Court de Gébelin suggests that the bateleur represents the idea that life is an illusion, a trick.

Bertrand

foolish

If we want to get real esoteric about this idea, we can also learn from the Buddhist philosophy, which considers all the world "maya" or illusion. There could be an association here in implying a philosophy of sorts regarding the material world. Interestingly enough, the Cathars, who adopted the dualist theology of the Bogomils, believed that the material world was created by the Devil, and not by God, who could not have allowed such suffering.

foolish

I tried the upload. I guess my picture was too big. You can google the image to see its reference to this discussion. Perhaps someone else can post it.

KariRoad

The Conjurer
by Hieronymus Bosch
conjurer.jpeg

Teheuti

foolish said:
To the medieval consciousness, it may not have been too much of a stretch to put these two ideas together - that of the image of the "Bateleur" as a trickster, and that of the orhtodox Church as being a deceiver of the people. As we can see in Bosch's painting, the image acts as a sort of political cartoon. So in this sense, the question becomes, "Could The Magician be representing the Church in general, or even one of its members specifically?"
Why look for a complex meaning that is not substantiated anywhere, when a much simpler and well substantiated meaning will do? Just because there were con artists and even criminals in the church doesn't make all con artists into churchmen.

If the medieval mind read images like books (which many scholars said they did), what would the average person have thought when they looked at such an image? One thing is simply that this lowly street performer can trick all levels of society—a warning that not everything is at it seems. As a "child of the Moon" (and everyone would have recognized him as such) this would, in general, suggest that the sub-lunar realm is one of illusion.
http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot/bagatella.html

In essence, he is introducing a cast of characters and scenes that can be kind of tricky and are to be used in a game, and there's a hint of a warning that those who play can 'get taken for a ride.' But isn't that life?

Le Bateleur does have a special role in the standard game of Tarocchi. There is a 10 point bonus if Magician takes the last hand, as a kind of Ace (1) up your sleeve. I'd say that this is a sign that people appreciated such surprise turnarounds.

Added: With the Bateleur first, it could have also been an indicator that the sequence or storyline that follows is a kind of irreverent one—not really blasphemous, but secular. Yet it seems to me, personally, as a kind of misdirection saying that the cards aren't serious, when, perhaps, they really were.

foolish

Teheuti said:
Why look for a complex meaning that is not substantiated anywhere, when a much simpler and well substantiated meaning will do? Just because there were con artists and even criminals in the church doesn't make all con artists into churchmen.
In response, just because a "simpler" interpretation can be found, doesn't mean it has more validity. Of course, there are other ways that this image could have been seen. I am just pointing out another one. This is also based on how people may have seen this image at the time. It doesn't mean that all con artists are churchmen; nor does it mean that all churchmen are criminals. But we should not overlook the fact that there was a very real and broadbased implication of some church members and even some of the practices of the church which led many people to see it in this way (as depicted in Bosch's painting - I doubt whether he just personally came up with the notion of depicting the church in this way). In the deposition of Armano Punzilupo, a 13th century Italian notary, he spoke of the Church as "decievers of souls." (Lansing, "Power and Purity", p. 94) There are many other examples of this point of view. Perhaps we shouldn't dismiss it as another possiblitiy for how the image of The Bateleur was seen - even by a subset of the population.

Bernice

Hi,

The following thread discusions may be worth taking a look at;

"I Le Bateleur"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=1145&page=1&pp=10

"A New Look at the TdM Bateleur"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=127095

"Role of the Marseilles Bateleur in an alchemical tarot perspective"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=25916

"The Lombard Man:Bateleur And Other Such Buzzards" (This thread mentions Cathars :))
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90370

"Bateleur Enquiry (Universal Tarot of Marseille)"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=72795

Bee :)