TAROT Deck - Completely Revised Sola Busca from XV Century

daphne

Well that's why I want to video them. I mean, to me, they're fine. I'm looking forward to using them. But, they're not as sharp as I thought they would be, not as sharp as they were in paintshop, so I want people to see really clearly what they look like & if they still like it, great. Maybe I should just lower the price on it? With the programs I have I don't have any way of making them any sharper I don't think. I think that's probably why Lo Scarabeo hired the "mystery" artist to re-draw them - because there aren't very sharp images out there to work with. They still look old world for sure. Like I said I will video them tomorrow and maybe you guys can tell me what you think, if I'm over-critical or should pull the project or lower the price or what.

Well, lowering the price is always good. :)
And 50$ for a deck I find it quite expensive anyway.

seven stars

Daphne -

If I was getting a deck from the store, one printed by a big publishing company, I would think it was pricey, too. When people print them individually it's more expensive.

I'm not published, I do these on my own. Without even figuring in things like how much time this took, or how much the editing software costs, per deck I have the costs of printing, shipping, Etsy listing fees, selling fees, paypal fees, and taxes that I'll have to pay at the end of the year.

I could invest in a big bulk lot of them and get the printing fees lower but not drastically, and if I did that I couldn't have them drop shipped or do any personalizations on them. I like being able to make custom decks with people's names & different backs or a message on one of the cards, etc.

And for cards not made by a publishing company the quality of these cards are great, & I can get them in either standard 300gsm aqueous coated (smooth) which is what I expect out of a good deck, shuffles well, very nice, rounded edges, etc., or I can get an upgrade to that & get premium 310gsm plastic coated (linen), which I have ordered but haven't seen in person yet.

So honestly having so many options in this deck, I considered it pretty fair. Looking at the cards again this morning I think I might have been over critical but I'm still doing a video.

Greg Stanton

is 'right' the same as 'lawful'? you decide (each one for oneself) and according to the laws should Etsy and eBay even be allowed to exist? they are doing quite good as I recall

Is it right to use someone else's property without asking them? Is it lawful? No, and no.

Ebay and Etsy are place where people sell or auction their OWN property. People are not permitted to photocopy books and sell them, or make copies of CDs of other people's music and sell them. The museum which owns the Sola Busca cards paid $800,000.00 euros for them. It is both right and lawful to write and ask permission to reproduce them for commercial purposes.

And Rylla, I'm not the Etsy police, and it's not my responsibility to contact every single seller on Etsy who I suspect is breaking the law. However, if someone on a forum I frequent announces that they are using someone else's property to make money, it IS my and everyone else's responsibility to ask the question if permission was obtained. No one here has been rude or bullying.

There also the question of Karma. Knowingly purchasing stolen property has consequences. Asking the question is a good thing. People can now make informed choices.

daphne

I hear you and I understand you.

I don`t care so much about personalization and unique features, a deck pleases me with its imagery, regardless of custom backs, my name on it or other details you mention.

I am not so keen on explanations of time and energy spent on it, I figure it did not appear in a second. I don`t tell you what kind of things I do to earn and save those 50 dollars. I just mention that I consider it rather high, but at the end of the day you are the seller and I am the costumer. Just name your price and I`ll see if I can afford it.

And, as you mention the custom features, what about the idea to offer a regular deck, a custom - non-custom deck, with standard back, no names, no personal messages, just the simple deck with the cards, with a lower price?

Daphne -

If I was getting a deck from the store, one printed by a big publishing company, I would think it was pricey, too. When people print them individually it's more expensive.

I'm not published, I do these on my own. Without even figuring in things like how much time this took, or how much the editing software costs, per deck I have the costs of printing, shipping, Etsy listing fees, selling fees, paypal fees, and taxes that I'll have to pay at the end of the year.

I could invest in a big bulk lot of them and get the printing fees lower but not drastically, and if I did that I couldn't have them drop shipped or do any personalizations on them. I like being able to make custom decks with people's names & different backs or a message on one of the cards, etc.

And for cards not made by a publishing company the quality of these cards are great, & I can get them in either standard 300gsm aqueous coated (smooth) which is what I expect out of a good deck, shuffles well, very nice, rounded edges, etc., or I can get an upgrade to that & get premium 310gsm plastic coated (linen), which I have ordered but haven't seen in person yet.

So honestly having so many options in this deck, I considered it pretty fair. Looking at the cards again this morning I think I might have been over critical but I'm still doing a video.

seven stars

moonbear - Actually I just spoke this morning to the first person to receive them in Portland. He got his the same day. He said they look great, I told him they weren't as sharp as I expected, he said, they look great to me. I guess it's just that when I was editing they looked so pristine, I was expecting pristine. Nothing with me is ever simple, it seems. If you like, I could probably put you in touch with him - he has both sets now. PM me if you like.

moonbear

moonbear - Actually I just spoke this morning to the first person to receive them in Portland. He got his the same day. He said they look great, I told him they weren't as sharp as I expected, he said, they look great to me. I guess it's just that when I was editing they looked so pristine, I was expecting pristine. Nothing with me is ever simple, it seems. If you like, I could probably put you in touch with him - he has both sets now. PM me if you like.

Glad to hear it seven stars! A happy customer :) You'll probably find that because of the antique nature of this deck people won't be expecting crisp images.

The crowned one

Copyright is granted to "original works of authorship, fixed in a tangible medium of expression." If someone photographs a public domain work, their copyright only extends to the original works of authorship in that photograph (i.e. the lighting choices or any manners in which the public domain work is transformed).

Others can lawfully reach into that second-generation photograph to take out the public domain elements, so long as they either don't re-use the second-generation creativity, or the re-use of that creativity is privileged by Fair Use or some other limitation & exception.

If the creative second-generation elements are very limited, than it is likely that they are not infringed by focusing on the public domain work (because you either don't reproduce those second-generation elements or because they are trumped by Fair Use).

If someone engages in a "slavish copy" of a public domain work, where their goal is to reproduce the original as closely as possible, then there is no originality at all, and no copyright. Others can freely copy that second-generation work (which is, by design, an exact copy or extremely close to an exact copy of the original public domain work).

I do not think you are breaking any laws. I only read the opening post and perhaps two or three others, skipped the chaff, so what I am saying may have been pointed out.

Wintergreen

I haven't seen the images from either deck, but from what I know from my work in advertising, there's a certain amount of leeway in using intellectual property IF you have changed the image substantially.

Also, if I'm reading TCO's post correctly, it would seem that seven stars might be within her rights here. Copyright law is a slippery slope, and in no way as cut and dried as some seem to think.

I guess we'll see what happens, if she has to pull the deck from the shelves or continues selling. Perhaps the lawyer was a good move. And after reafing thru this thread, there was a certain level of indignance that could be construed as unkind, and even shrill. She's an artist, so you have to expect her to take it personally and react emotionally.

Sulis

Moderator note

I've spoken to Solandia about this and she is happy that seven stars is doing as much as she can to make sure that copyright laws are observed.
The copyright of the Solsca Busca images is a grey area and it's very possible that they are in the public domain so Solandia is happy for the discussion of this deck to continue here on Aeclectic :).

I've removed some posts continuing the copyright discussion but left posts that are relevant to this discussion and aren't repeating what has already been said.

So, can we please now get back to the discussion of this tarot deck?

Thanks.

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

moonbear

Thanks for sorting that out Sulis :) Glad it's back for discussion. This deck just sort of leapt out at me when I saw it on Etsy. I like very much what the artist has done with it and I love :love: the personalisation aspect!

But now I'm wracking my brains what I'd personalise it with. My name? A meaningful word or phrase? Seems like too good an opportunity to miss so I'd like it to be special!

Still thinking :)