tarot ethics

Mojo

My, what high horses we have in here.

First of all, if I were on a jury where someone was suing their Tarot reader for bad investment advice, I'd probably vote to have the idiot investor committed. He's not safe for society.

Daisy, if you want to do a reading on the stock market, by all means do it. If you want to risk a lot of money based on what the cards say, then lets talk about some land I have for sale in South Florida.

As far as I'm concerned the only ethical issue with Tarot that matters at all is to make sure you never mis-represent yourself. If you are not a doctor, do not give medical advice. If you are not a lawyer, do not give legal advice. And so on and so forth.

magnwa

Talisman : Heh.. I thank you very kindly for the comments. Were you to know me before I started Tarot you would swear I was the world's largest jerk. This thing has taught me a lot about myself and what I can do to help others and it is something I feel will be a part of my life for a long time to come . :)

Now.. on to the high horse thing. I really didn't want this thread to turn into a knockdown drag out fight. But, as I go to bed and watch Miss Cleo offer her services for $240/hour, and I see her ads on MTV (young) , BET (minority), and following Infomercials for "Degrees from home" (not necessarily stupid, but educationally under privellaged, possibly through no fault of their own).. I cannot help but wonder why a company charges $240 an hour for a task it pays at most $12 for. Right now, just right now, Miss Cleo told what sounded like a 24 year old black woman that starting her home based business is a great idea, and that it all seems like it'd work out. We're in a down economy, this woman was raising a single child, and Cleo tells her to go for it.

We have a duty to those we read for. In fact, we have a duty to all those who even KNOW what we do. I told a family friend that I read cards.. I got recation #4. "Oh, you mean like Miss Cleo?" I told my mother. Reaction #2. "That's satanic." Father. Reaction #3. "That's nice." (I love my father. He says that's nice, but he means something completely different. Could be bad, could be good.. I never know.) The general response though, is that we charge a high amount of money for a service that has a questionable history. You cannot go by a day without hearing of some psychic phone scam MLM or pryamid scheme involving card readers and 1-900 lines. People like Stephen Glass are diving in and rightfully turning crooks on their heads.

The reason I have a code of ethics, and the reason I stick to those codes, is because I watch so many readers on these 900 and 800 lines who do NOT have these ethical codes. I watch what they are, and what they have become. Some of them are good readers, and I cannot fault them for working for their bread. However.. I cannot sit there by the same regard and watch them charge $240 per hour, and only get $12. That's unfair for the reader and the seeker. The difference between me and the many "psychics" I've called to figure out what it's like is that they will tell me ANYTHING. I ask them for lottery numbers, and I get them. I ask them for good luck charms, and I get told to give $1000 to the very next person I see after my watch beeps at 10AM. I ask for a hex to be put on my neighbor's dog.. and they'll do it.

You know what's really sad? When you tell people you are a tarot reader, you get put in that category. When you tell them you are a tarot reader with a code of ethics, you get put outside the category. You get put above that category, whether you think that should be the result or not.

1-900 and 1-800 numbers can get away with telling people to do inane, stupid things to themselves, their money, and their futures by simply putting the words "For Entertainment Purposes Only" at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes I have to wonder whose entertainment it's for.

Magnwa.

PS. I am not trying to insult those of you that work at pay numbers, even if you work at them for $240 / hr. My point is that I have run into readers who outright tell me that I am doomed if I don't call them back every day. That's abusive, and a code of ethics followed prevents that.

magnwa

Oh.. dear.. forgot to address one key point. The cases and what not that I have mentioned.. they are not client brought civil cases. They are actual criminal cases that are brought forth because of the CRIMINAL act of predicting the future. (Yes.. it is illegal in many jurisdictions to predict a future as if it is the only possible outcome) I just thought I'd clear that up since it didn't need to be brought by a complaintant, but just by an undercover investigator walking in, and taping the session until he heard the right things said. (IE.. "The Nasdaq Market will perform badly this year.. I see it falling drastically.. and that the leading stock is BuyCo." does cross the line.. whereas.. "I see someone in your past.. coming to the future. Have you run into somebody you know, possibly from school a long time ago?" is a different targeted time frame.)

Magnwa, who really, honestly doesn't wanna start a fight.. so if it looks like it might get close to one, let's just stop before , kay? :)

daisy

WOW! I didn't mean to wake the beast...

Kimon

Hello,
a client once wanted me to have a look in the cards about stock market; I told him I had no idea at all if it would work or not, and that I would not want to be held as responsible for whatever came out. He agreed and I did the reading, which as he told me afterwards, was quite good and helped him somehow.
The financial question, without stocks, but about what will happen with jobs or if monetary situations will get better or not, is an extremely common question and I dont think its something to reject; so in a way this stock market question is a prolongation of it.
I think it works as well as all other readings, but I also think that it would not be possible to go down this way to be a millionaire; this might work once or twice, but then the cards will throw the querent out because its him who has to earn the money, not the cards. They will give a little beginners help, and be an advisor then, but never an employee doing what the querent should do.
As to the predicting aspect, yes of course, I dont focus on the future too, and the biggest part of my readings are about roots and the structure of the present time, but also we all know that clients are often just quiet at this part, and get huge ears and very interested when it comes to the effect of the present, the future.
I think there is no way for us to pretend not to be fortune-tellers, because we are all the time (mis)used as such by clients. The only difference to the spooky gipsy that talks about inevitable destiny is that we are trying to work out the whys and hows and the various possibilities of the future. But how many clients really care about all that what we tell them, and only stare at something we said is likely to happen?
Greetings,
Kimon

tarotbear

Actually, my horse is just as tall as everyone else's - 16 hands at the shoulder.

tiger lily

Kimon wrote:

"The financial question, without stocks, but about what will happen with jobs or if monetary situations will get better or not, is an extremely common question and I dont think its something to reject; so in a way this stock market question is a prolongation of it."

I agree that work-related questions are common, but financial advice via tarot cards?? I?m veeeery sceptic :)

"As to the predicting aspect, yes of course, I dont focus on the future too, and the biggest part of my readings are about roots and the structure of the present time, but also we all know that clients are often just quiet at this part, and get huge ears and very interested when it comes to the effect of the present, the future.
I think there is no way for us to pretend not to be fortune-tellers, because we are all the time (mis)used as such by clients. The only difference to the spooky gipsy that talks about inevitable destiny is that we are trying to work out the whys and hows and the various possibilities of the future. But how many clients really care about all that what we tell them, and only stare at something we said is likely to happen?"

Ah yes, but isn?t it so with every advice, Tarot or not? They will listen only to the parts that they want to hear - if it turns out well, it was their own ingenuity, if it turns out bad, it was your advice, of course ;-)

But that doesn?t mean that I *am* a fortune-teller, even if people want me to be one. In this point I disagree with you. And I if the situation arises (it hasn?t yet), I will try to rephrase a purely event-oriented question (aka "fortune-telling") and talk some sense into the querent (yeah, I know, I?m a hopeless case ... ;-) )

nexyjo

i thought alot about this topic before i responded. it never occurred to me to do a reading on the stock market. and i believe that this is because i like to think i understand how the tarot works, and what it is capable of. just like an experienced driver would probibly not take their honda civic and go off roading with it, there are ways to use the tarot and there are ways to misuse it.

as pointed out in earlier posts, the tarot widens perspectives, reveals trends, and gives insight into the querent and the forces operating around them. to gain insight into the stock market, one would use newspapers to understand the forces driving it, and watch the market itself to define the trends. the tarot is simply the wrong tool to use for stock market analysis. and because of that, it would be unethical to position ones self as being able to read stock market trends with the tarot. it would be lying.

as i've mentioned in other posts, i don't read often for others. but when i do, i make sure the querent understands what the tarot does, and what it doesn't do. my brother in law once mentioned that he "doesn't believe in the tarot". i responded that there is nothing to believe or disbelieve about them. and after explaining how they work, and what they do, and how some people take advantage of the ignorance of the general public, he understood too.

this type of post would have done much better in the old "beginners forum". clearly, the ethics of tarot stock market "predictions" indicates to me that the questioner is simply uninformed - that is clear to me. and that in no way reflects upon the intellegence of the questioner, just education in general tarot basics.

and of course, this is in my humble opinion, for whatever that's worth.

luv and light,
nexy

daisy

The 10 of pentacles,upright, can mean financial gain through investing, and reversed, can mean the opposite. I've done readings where the devil showed up next to the 10 of pentacles, and sure enough, I proceeded to sustain a sizable loss in my stock investments. On the other hand, I've had the World and the 9 cups on either side of 10 pent. which meant a sizable gain. I've also had the Wheel of Fortune next to the 10 pent, which meant a positive change in the market's direction. I had the 10 swords next to 10 pent reversed, which forecast the sizable losses that most people sustained, if they were exposed to the Nasdaq.
I think that you are all wrong in assuming that it can't be done. I was just hoping that one of you "seasoned experts" might have been able to predict a financial upturn or downturn in the economy.

Talisman

nexyjoy,

I so miss the Beginners forum. That was where I felt free to post.

And, everyone is beating a dead mouse here. Can I whop it a couple of times? Schmack! Clobber! Whoomp!

When I started, I knew everything there was to know. More I study, harder it gets. Should'a quit when I was ahead.

Talisman