Tarot in Stained Glass

gothicphoenixx

When I thought, for my theme in my stained glass class, to do tarot, it occured to me that someone else might have done it. A search proved the hunch correct. However, I decided that, if there can be so many different decks in paper and online form, there certainly can be more than one in glass.

That said, the first card I'm working on is the wheel. I read the story on here, and decided that I'd include images of the major objects in a circle. This actually became more of a diamond, but I think the important thing is flow. Unfortunately, my teacher thought the images should take up more space. I'm not sure I like it that way, but we'll see once it's in glass.

I haven't made it yet, but once I do, I'll post it as well as the preliminary drawing. After that, I'll post preliminary drawings and ask for feedback on how well the card works both as a piece and as a tarot card. I am taking into consideration 'typical' imagery and symbolism, but I might not follow it. Still, I want to make sure I'm getting the essence of the card. I'm afraid I didn't on the first, but my registration was slow going through so I had to go it alone.

Well, I just thought I'd post what I'm working on, and once I get it up, I appreciate any comments. For now, if you just want to tell me what you think of the idea, or whatever, that's cool too:)

VisionQuest

great idea, can't wait to see it, I love stained glass :)

good luck with it :)

Grigori

I'm picturing an enormous church, with 78 windows...

That does sound great. I've seen a couple tarot decks with a "stained glass" effect, but of course they could not compare to a real glass artwork.

Can't wait to see a photo.

TemperanceAngel

I think it's a great idea, really I do...have you seen a round deck RWS style called the....the....starts with C I think? Apologies for vagueness (is that spelt right?)

gothicphoenixx

:)

Glad ppl are liking the idea:)

"I'm picturing an enormous church, with 78 windows..."
I've never done stained glass before, so I don't know about my ability to even do these cards. But if I got good, it would be awesome to do an entire deck of them. It would be a cool way to display them, in a church kind of thing (I doubt I'd ever get commissioned to do an actual church, given the subject:) )

"have you seen a round deck RWS style called the....the....starts with C I think? Apologies for vagueness (is that spelt right?) "Hm...no I haven't...

TemperanceAngel

gothicphoenixx said:
"have you seen a round deck RWS style called the....the....starts with C I think? Apologies for vagueness (is that spelt right?) "Hm...no I haven't...
I could say Cloisters and just be so off the mark, but that could be a lead!

ciliegia

sound very interesting,because I love stained glass:)

Good luck with the project.

gothicphoenixx

hmm

Now that I read this, I think the one I found may have been a paper deck...But I think he also has been working on making them in real glass too. Shrug. Here it is though
http://www.tarotpassages.com/filipas6.htm