tarot of oz

rostie

i'm curious about the tarot of oz...the more i look at it, the more i love it but i want to know more of it! have somebody here it and what do you think about it? if you don't remember the whole story anymore is it then difficult to relate?

here are some pictures:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/oz/
http://www.learntarot.com/ozdesc.htm
http://www.tarotpassages.com/oz-mm.htm
http://www.tarotwisdomreadings.com/TarotDecks/TarotOz.html
http://www.davidsexton.com/OzImages/oz.htm

thanks in advance,

sara.

Alta

I love this deck. It is great for certain kinds of readings. Not work readings, but more "wondering" kinds of readings. It is the kind of deck that is the way the Inner Child should be but isn't. It makes you smile because it draws sly parallels between the world of being adult and the world of being a child. It is clever and amusing and works very well.

HudsonGray

Re-reading the books will be easier as they've been reprinted. It's more than just the Wizard of Oz movie, there were at least 6 books he wrote about Oz from what I remember.

Check around online, do a search under Frank Baum's name or the Oz series, you should be able to locate at least the titles. The cards used characters from the books, not the movie.

Zhritza

HudsonGray said:
Re-reading the books will be easier as they've been reprinted. It's more than just the Wizard of Oz movie, there were at least 6 books he wrote about Oz from what I remember.

He wrote a total of 14 from 1900 to 1920. There then followed 26 others written by second parties (the first 18 or 19 of these are by Ruth Plumly Thompson). The last one, the 40th. was written in 1963. L. Frank Baum had originally intended to end with the 6th one, "The Emerald City of Oz," but if I remember correctly from the foreword he wrote for the 7th one, he continued writing them because he got so many letters from little kids clamoring for more. (I suppose he could have just made that up, but I prefer to believe otherwise...) Anyway, the 14 that he wrote are readily available. My favorite is the 7th one, The Patchwork Girl of Oz. In the Oz Tarot, Scraps the Patchwork Girl is the Star.

I really like the style and colors of this deck but it is very static, with almost no kineticism. Also -- and I hate to say this, because I don't like really "cluttered" decks -- it seems too sparse. I feel like it needs more props, believe it or not. But the images are beautiful to look at, and I think it's really nice of David Sexton to put such big images on his site.

EDIT: Here is a link to the cheap paperbacks of the Oz series:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...D=oz+series+baum+ballantine&userid=53N3VCDOWV
They have the original illustrations in them, and they are $6 apiece. You will have to sift through them to find the original #1 (Wizard of Oz) through #14 (Glinda of Oz). The books are also avalable in a beautiful hardcover series; Barnesandnoble.com sells those at 30% off ($18 or so), but I have seen a couple of them as bargain books at my Borders, for $5 or $6, so you may want to keep an eye out for those if you have a B&N or a Borders near you.

marmalade

really?? have the oz book been reprinted?? how exciting!

i have this deck too, and i was so hoping it would be *perfect* for me as i'm a HUGE oz fan (i 'was' dorothy until i was about 6!). but since i've only ever seen the movie (about a million times) and read one of the books, i found i didn't connect as much to the cards as i had hoped, since the imagry was drawn from all of the books, and i'm just not familiar with them all. but if they're all available (is there a whole box set of them all?) then i'd love to read the whole set.

even still, i do like this deck, but i agree that it's whimsical and probably not best suited for more serious readings.

Zhritza

marmalade said:
but if they're all available (is there a whole box set of them all?) then i'd love to read the whole set.

I know that those mass-markets I mentioned used to be in 2 sets of 7, but I hunted around and it doesn't look like they're still in print that way...

Kyrielle

There have been more Oz books written since Thompson wrote hers. I think the most recent I've seen is 1993 or 1996. I have heard that people who really love the Oz books can apply for permission to use the setting and characters for a new book, if they want. There's the challenge of coming up to snuff with the original style and tone, though, as well as the challenge of pleasing lots of persnickety Oz fans.

-- Kyrielle

room

Having recently become interested in this deck, I was looking at the following as study addendums. Hahahaha. I've never read any of the books.

1) 15 Books in 1: L. Frank Baum's Original Oz Series. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Marvelous Land of Oz, Ozma of Oz, Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, The Road to Oz, The Emerald City of Oz, The Patchwork Girl Of Oz, Little Wizard Stories of Oz, Tik-Tok of Oz, The Scarecrow Of Oz, Rinkitink In Oz, The Lost Princess Of Oz, The Tin Woodman Of Oz, The Magic of Oz, and Glinda Of Oz. (Paperback)

Paperback: 608 pages
Publisher: Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax. (July 2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0954840135

I understand that the print is very small in this due to the number of books it contains. There is a hardcover edition but it's too $$$$.

And thanks to AJ for pointing this one out to me:

2) Annotated Wizard Of Oz (Hardcover)
Hardcover: 396 pages
Publisher: WW Norton; Centennial edition (Mar 28 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0393049922

Contains a facsimile of the original book and illustrations as well as more information on the Oz mythology etc.

Briar Rose

I love the Wizard of Oz. I hope you find a copy of the Tarot of Oz.

If you love it that much check out web sites by the name of;
the dark side of Oz

and you'll see how the Pink Floyd music CD, "The Dark Side of the Moon"
can be played along with the movie, "Wizard of Oz." I have done this on several occasions and have found it profound. You play the music CD after the original MGM's third lion's roar.