Tarot of the Ego

FionaBenjamin

e·go
noun /ˈēgō/ 
egos, plural

-The part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity

Think back to where your spiritual journey first began. Take a moment to remember how uncertain you felt and all the doubts that were in your mind. Think of all those magnificent mythological tales that you have read and how real it all seemed, despite what society and "reality" has told you. The Tarot of the Ego explores the journey that the Fool takes while trying to find the Ego within itself. Throughout this journey, the Fool encounters the members of the Major and Minor Arcana as it struggles to find the happy medium between the conscious and the subconscious.

The Tarot of the Ego should be completed January of 2015 but we will be doing a test release of the Major Arcana sometime in September 2013.

---
This deck was previously tentatively called the Deck of the Worshipped but we have decided on the Tarot of the Ego. It's gotten some good feedback so far, but I'm hoping to gain some more interest!

Attachments

• F_Death_P.jpg
    F_Death_P.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 255
  • F_Lover_P.jpg
    F_Lover_P.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 229
  • F_Wheel_P.jpg
    F_Wheel_P.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 218
  • F_Fool_P.jpg
    F_Fool_P.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 122
  • F_Tower_P.jpg
    F_Tower_P.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125

Darkmage

Those are lovely cards.

Lovers reminds me of the legend of the Nephilim--sons of God and daughters of men bit.

Death is simply gorgeous. It looks like something out of a manga and it's awesome.

Wheel is very nice, artistically speaking, but I'm not associating the snakes with the Wheel so much. The design reminds me of the Ouroboros, which I'd associate more with the World. Hmm.

Still, it's looking good! I do trust you'll keep us posted on your progress. If the other cards are like these it's a deck that I'll probably buy.

FionaBenjamin

Those are lovely cards.

Lovers reminds me of the legend of the Nephilim--sons of God and daughters of men bit.

Death is simply gorgeous. It looks like something out of a manga and it's awesome.

Wheel is very nice, artistically speaking, but I'm not associating the snakes with the Wheel so much. The design reminds me of the Ouroboros, which I'd associate more with the World. Hmm.

Still, it's looking good! I do trust you'll keep us posted on your progress. If the other cards are like these it's a deck that I'll probably buy.

Thank you! The Lovers is based off of the story of Eros and Psyche, particularly from a statue, but I forget the name off the top of my head. Death came to me in a dream... it was an image burned into my mind for a long time and I finally was driven insane by it, haha. The design is the Ouroboros for the Wheel. Instead of the Wheel of Fortune, I wanted it to be the Wheel of Life because that is a card I always associated with Karma and the natural laws of life.

I really appreciate the feedback! Other figures you can expect are Odin, Apollo, Lillith, Lady of the Lake, and more! :)

Metafizzypop

Beautiful art! I like these cards a lot. Although, I also thought that the Wheel was the World.

FionaBenjamin

Hm, interesting. I will have to rethink whether I want to just use that as The World and come up with something different for the Wheel or not...

Thank you for the honest feedback!

cheimonette

I was very drawn to the Wheel (all the cards are quite lovely). At first glance I thought the snakes were a tree trunk growing into itself, and I got really excited. :)

Could you tell us a bit more about you interpretation of the Wheel? I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your deck!

FionaBenjamin

I was very drawn to the Wheel (all the cards are quite lovely). At first glance I thought the snakes were a tree trunk growing into itself, and I got really excited. :)

Could you tell us a bit more about you interpretation of the Wheel? I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your deck!

Thank you thank you! Sorry it took me so long to reply!

Yes I definitely can. I associated each card with a quote and the quote for the Wheel is:

“Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely."
-Siddhartha Gautama

To me, this card represents the cycle of life and the acceptance of karma without fear, including turning points and important events that have come and yet to come. The snake is eating itself to remind us that everything is connected. We cannot hope just for luck to take us where we need to be because our actions connect us from beginning to end.

FionaBenjamin

Next card: The Fool

"I am not afraid... I was born to do this." -Joan of Arc

Attachments

• F_Fool_P.jpg
    F_Fool_P.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 142

ematuskey

Awesome art! Like a couple of the other posters, the Wheel doesn't speak to me as much (I get what you're trying to do, but I didn't get Ouroboros out of that image), but I /love/ the fool, and the Lovers and Death both are very evocative--Death even more so after repeated viewings. Well done!

Thoughtful

l like the look of these cards and will keep myself updated on the next ones. As to the wheel immediately l saw it it brought to mind the twists and turns of life as we experience the highs and lows. It also reminds me of a snake shedding an old skin to become renewed. l could go on but wonder have l taken a wrong turning :p