Tarot of the Sephiroth

Driley

I just purchased the Tarot of the Sephiroth -- which is wonderful. I came home and laid it out on my table, creating the Tree of Life. Suddenly relationships between the cards and interpretive concepts became clear in my mind in a way that they hadn't been before.

I'd love to start a Study Group for this deck -- or the connection between Tarot and the Sephiroth more generally.

For example, there is Isabel Radow Kliegman's excellent book "Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana" which I also just got -- we could discuss that and similar works.

Tarot and Kabbalah -- together the cards are so much richer, don't you think?

Okay, a question to get us started. There are a variety of ways of assigning the Major Arcana to the paths between the Sephiroth. Is there any particular assignment that seems unusual or unclear to you?

I also have trouble thinking of the Emperor as being over there near the pillar of Mercy. He doesn't seem particularly merciful -- until you glance over at the Heirophant. Still -- isn't Mercy usually considered a feminine principle? Severity seems more male -- yes?

Driley

Kether

Since I've not gotten a reply yet, I figured I'd go ahead and give a first shot at some statements concerning Cabala (Kaballah, etc.) and Tarot -- particularly as I've been thinking about it in connection with the Tarot of the Sephiroth.

And I've decided to start at the top. The Crown, Kether, the dizzy heights of the Full Unspeakable Truth of God -- the Silence beyond being, The Supernal East, the Ancient Holy One, etc., etc.

Whew! That's pretty heady for a little white Sphere dangling up there all by itself. And it seems a heck of alot of responsiblity to lay on the poor Aces.

But Kether is also the realm of the self -- the place where we solve that inner journey on which we are all going in life, a place of spiritual ecstasy -- which we can reach only through the Divine reaching down to us even as we reach up towards the Divine (or -- out and in, depending on the model we're using).

So -- how do we apply this to the Aces. First, I'd say that they bring to us a focus on Self, rather than Other. They are about our Inner Selves, rather than our external selves.

The Ace of Discs (Pentacels, Coins) thus becomes a card about being enlightened in how we use the material riches we are provided, finding gratitude and satisfaction in ourselves rather than the outside world, and the reminder that this world, of dirt and water, fire and air, is the world in which we see the Divine.

The Ace of Swords becomes a card about seeking intellectual understanding of our journey, finding a means to unite reason and spiritual experience, finding a way to apply our minds to that which may, finally, be ineffable.

The Ace of Wands seems to center on the importance of self-discovery, of focusing on the Divine-Within. A reminder that the Great Unknown is also the Immediately Present.

The Ace of Cups is the natural card for Kether, I think. Water, its element, governs the spirit and Kether is pure spirit (Primordial Ether is alchemical terms). Thus the Ace of Cups speaks to the deeper knowledge which is simply unspeakable -- it is the silent truth, in inner reality that is greater than external cause and reaction. It is the sudden enlightenment, the mystical experience, the power of the actualized Self.

Applying these concepts in a spread, of course, becomes the challenge. Any comments?

(I'll post two or three more times and then give up if no interest develops -- in case you were reading and wondering why I'm talking to myself.)

Angel Star

Hi I own this deck but have not done much work with the Qabalah not yet at least. I just purchased a book called Tarot the the Tree of Life and just am getting thru reading on the pentacles and how each relate to the spheres. Very interesting interpretations. I have not studied all of the aces yet. Only the ace of pentacles. We rely much on this energy for we are down here on the earth plane which this card represents alot of our earthly needs start here. The books uses the Universal Waite for the pics. Anyways I have much to still learn on the Quabalah I have worked thru the spheres twice now and am working on the paths. I believe I am on the path between Yesod and Netzchah. Hope I spelled that right. This path either uses the Emperor or the Star to meditate on when working this path.

Driley

Chicken Qabalah?

I've just found the best Qabalah starter's manual I've ever seen -- and it has a great chapter on Qabalah and the Tarot.

It's called The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford and is written by Lon Milo Duquette.

It is VERY tongue in cheek -- causing me to laugh outloud many, many times. At the same time, it is an excellent introduction to the Qabalah.

The chapter on Tarot is seriously reorganizing the way I think about the cards and their meanings and providing new depth to my approach to readings.

This is esoterica for the rest of us -- really. And it goes wonderfully well with the Tarot of the Sephiroth, even if the two don't quite agree on the arrangement of Court Cards.

Jewel

Several of us here at the forum have expressed an interest in studying Tarot and the Qabalah. There are a variety of decks with Qabalistic symbology and design. Perhaps if the study group focused on the Qabalah, and each participant could work with their preferred deck there might be greater participation in the group. That is how we have done the study group for 78 Degrees of Wisdom, and for Tarot for Yourself. I am sure the Thoth Study Group will also cross this bridge. Although different decks are used it has promoted some interest in decks we have not worked with before, and some poeple using the deck also have the opportunity to share with each other. Just an idea.

I would also highly recommend the book Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang. Excellent book and would serve nicely as a text.

Driley

Sold on the idea!

I think you have an excellent idea there, Jewel. I would hope that the Qabalah-Tarot connection would inspire some real, interesting, and fruitful discussion.

I have heard so many times that Wang's book is excellent that I've ordered it and expect to own my very own copy shortly -- so I'm willing, even eager, to use that as our textbook. I also, however, would encourage anyone intimidated by the idea of Qabalah to get the Chicken Qabalist, as that'll take the "scare" out of the topic very quickly.

Hrm-- now, how do we start? Perhaps a post asking who would like to study Wang's book with us?

Or perhaps, Jewel (and whoever else), we should just start our thread and jump right in?

Willing and somewhat able...

David

Jewel

Hi Driley,

I have also heard good things about the Chicken Qabalist, and it would be nice to contribute info from other books even if the main book being used in Wangs' book. The combination of Tarot and Qabalah is a subject that has fascinated me for a long long time, and one I have been studying for a few years. It is an extremely complex and deep subject, and even though I have several years of study I still feel as though I am just starting to explore this. I have actually been collecting several decks that use the Qabalah heavily with the hopes of one day having time to do a comparative study (the Sephiroth is one of those decks), but in a manner where it can be easily understood. An interesting thing about these decks is that they do not all use the same pathway correspondences for the Majors.

Let me know when you get the book. I think I am going to go ahead and use the Thoth deck for this group, but will also look through the Sephiroth as I work. I need to take a look at the book before being able to recommend any specific way to proceed. I suppose the first thing in order is a post on Tarot and the Qabalah to see if anyone is interested, and to also let those interested know that it would be using the deck of their choice and the Robert Wang book (might be good to include the ISBN #). Might be nice if we could also see if there is anyone that is well versed in the Tarot and the Qabalah that would be interested in leading the study group.

Angel Star

The best book I have used for the Tarot and Kabbalah is called More Simplified Magic by Ted Andrews and his first book Simplified Magic. I have went thru the spheres twice now and just started doing paths. I did use the Emperor for the path between Yesod and Netzchah. I think that is how you spell it LOL! Actually there are 2 cards that relate to this path that I have read and the other is the Star. Working the spheres and paths is mind opening experience. Each time I have worked a path things start to happen. Alot of things that are connected to each path and the spheres that connect the paths. I like the way Ted Andrews describes these energies and his book is very practical and gives all kinds of exercises on how to use the cards with the paths and spheres. There is another book that is fairly new called Magic Qabalah. I have seen the reviews on the book and one reader suggest "if your not ready for changes do not use this book" Anyways the book got great reviews and its one I am considering buying to work with the Tarot and the Tree. :)

Jewel

Angel Star thanks for the recommendations. I love learning of new books on the subject. I'll have to go through my bookshelf and see what books I have and list them here just in case you are interested in checking any of them out. Unfortunately I have not read them all yet *LOL*. What is great is that between us we seem to have various resrouces that can enhance the study group in general once we get started. I am very interested in the excercises that Ted Andrews suggests.

Mermaid

Is this going to be a study group for beginners too? (mermaid asks hopefully...)

I've been working with Tarot for about 3 years now but I know next to nothing about the Qabbalah - I'd love to learn if there's anyone out there to lead this group...