Tarot readers with no technical understanding from studying books etc.

Alpha-Omega

fools_fool said:
Hi WhiteWizzard-

This woman sounds more like a psychic than a tarot reader to me. Personally, I prefer forms of divination that involve the interpretation of signs as opposed to psychic visions. There are pros and cons to both methods, but this woman, if she advertises as a tarot reader, is being slightly misleading, imo.

-fof

Some people are mix. Tarot reader and Psychic. While doing a reading they might get visions and psychic feelings from cards, i get that some times. Its been accurate :)

Alpha-Omega

Rosanne said:
I bet that made you stop in your tracks WhiteWizzard! I find it hard to believe that someone who has been using RWS for years(even over the phone) could not bring the description of a card to mind. I have no problem with intuitive readings and no book learning- there are many great readers out there who read that way. They still need the the card or they are not Tarot readers- as Fools Fool said she probably is psychic- shame she claims to read Tarot. Enjoy your relationship- it should be interesting :p ~Rosanne

I get trouble remebering what some cards look like, if they dont come up alot. and i sometimes forget their Number, but i know what they mean
Memory issue, Maybe your reader was old hahah

Lillie

There are just different ways or reading tarot cards.
One way is to use the book meanings and just the book meansings.
On the other end of the scale is the woman you describe, who seems to read totally intuitivley, using the cards as some sort of trigger for her intuition or her psychic senses.

Most people are somewhere inbetween these two extreems.

But any way that works is a valid way of reading.
If this way works for her, then why not?

cybercat

WhiteWizard why don't you have her do a full reading for you. That way you can see how correct her readings are even though she has no book study. As others have said her inturrpitations might just work.

cybercat:TSTRE

Satori

Actually, there is something to be said for not really memorizing the cards. It can get in the way...the pictures I mean.

Because if your brain is reading a deck with a 10 of swords and you are reading the Marseilles well seeing 10 swords poking out of someone's back (in your mind's eye) may not be what the 10 of Swords in the Hadar is talking about at that moment....

Let's say you modify a deck for quicky readings at a fair.
You take a Tarot deck and pull the pips but keep the Aces, the Courts and the Majors...Are you still giving Tarot readings???

I don't think she is suspect, she is doing things her own way for now...and if she is a good reader, well I'd actually be interested in how she keeps free of memorizing the pictures. Many of us see those pictures all the time and so we can't help but know what they all depict, especially if we use one deck consistently.

Used to be I switched decks just so I would stay fresh, and get to see multiple depictions of the same card. Then a certain Coronal Space Dude came along and said, "Try one deck, for 6 months to a year..." and I still sometimes see things in IIT terms....so, I'm not one to say she isn't doing it right.

If it works, gets results, well then...go for it. Learn what she is doing and why. That's what we do here, right?

Tara2007

Sometimes the books can make the meanings rather confusing.

The best readings are the ones that come from gut-instinct not by quoting what someone else says about positions and definitions. Sooner or later the impressions have to come from within and with all the material out there to read it can sometimes do nothing but give opposing viewpoints that make your head spin.

In fact, many of the uber-knowledgeble tarot readers I know disagree with a lot of what they quote from books. And maybe that's how it should be. I wouldn't like a reader who had to consult a textbook before giving me an interpretation. I want to know what the impression is, and what the first reaction to that card in that position is.

Reading about tarot uses and the history is great, and interesting, but when it comes to talking about the real meaning of the spread, the advice it may offer, I think that that must come from something you can't define in a book.

Actually, I think if a person is already doing a great job of reading tarot, starting to "educate" herself could actually spoil what may be a great natural gift.

Lillie

Yeah, it's really easy to start over analysing the cards in a reading. To try and work them out logically rather than going with that first gut instinct.

Also, so many books contradict each other anyway, or the meanings they give are so wide ranging they cover just about everything anyway.

Elven

Im just thinking about this, and it comes from a story from some years ago here in Australia, and that was 'pre-scripted Tarot readings' - there was no tarot, but there was a daily script written and told to each caller that day. It was exposed, after a 'Tarot' reader went to work for the call-line, if I remember rightly, there was more than one company doing this, but it was a short investigation, so at the time it made me wonder how many people were doing this. The figure head for the company had a very high profile as a Psychic.

The outcome from the investigation was that this type predetermined scripting was ok it was the advertising which needed changing. They didnt have that many complaints about the reading being 'incorrect'. Good scripting, guillable clients, no mechanism for complaints - who knows, I dont - but Tarot cards were not involved, and to get a job there, you need only a minimal knowledge of aht tarot was.

Im not assuming that your friend reads in this manner - I just thought of it when you mentioned no knowledge of the cards - and that was one of the things that was asked in the interview from the investigations team. They knew the name of the cards - that was in the scripting - but not what they looked like.

Just some thoughts

Blessings
Elven x

SunChariot

WhiteWizzard said:
Recently I started a relationship with a Lady that has been doing Tarot readings over the phone for years, she claims to have regular customers etc. I thought she must have a great deal of knowledge. To my surprize when I asked her to expand on the meanings of the cards she admitted to not having any knowledge of the Rider-Waite deck she was using. Her technique was just looking at them, subconscious impressions forming in her mind. Telling me that if I read any material on the subject it was useless and contradictory. When I mentioned 4 of Cups for example, she could not even describe what was on the card, let alone tell me how it related to others in the deck. Is this common, readers out there practicing and being paid , with Zero technical understanding of what Waite and those that followed have written.

It's not a prerequisite to being a good reader. There seem to be two ways to read from what I can see. Learning the book meanings and reading intuitively. Both methods seem to work well. I myself am also an intuitive reader and my readings have always been accurate and detailed without learning the book meanings.

I have never even had a Rider-Waite in my hands nor had the chance to look at one. The deck is not my cup of tea. I would say the lady in question, does have a great deal of knowledge on Tarot. She has read enough, and this has been my expereince to, to see that there are many methods and different books very much contradict each other. She seems to have a deep knowledge of how to conduct an intuitive reading, and that is a skill that take a lot of learning and practice to develop. She must be good or she would not have established customers.

It is just that her knowledge is in a different form that you are used to thinking of. I do as she does, just look at the images and feel what their parts mean in relation to the question. And yes it does work, and quite well. And no you don't have to be psychic to do it, it's a skill anyone can learn.

I have 24 decks and also would be hard pressed to tell you what was on the 4 of Cups in any of them. And that's just the way I like it. Remembering set parts of a card or set meanings is counter-productive in intuitive reading. It is best to see things fresh each time.

To me it sounds like she must be a very good reader. Although yes you can of course be good by learning book meanings too. Both methods work. While she may not have what you called a techical understanding, she very much seems to have a very clear understanding of what she is doing, and why, and how it works for her.

Babs

Umbrae

Lillie said:
Yeah, it's really easy to start over analysing the cards in a reading. To try and work them out logically rather than going with that first gut instinct.

Also, so many books contradict each other anyway, or the meanings they give are so wide ranging they cover just about everything anyway.

This is such a wonderful statement - Thank you Lillie...

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again, just cuz...

When I began reading in 1972, the only book that I could find was Waite's PKT...which was dreadful (I made the error of actually reading the bibliography which is a real hoot), so I tossed it, and journaled.

Didn't read another book on Tarot till the mid-90's. In the 80's I switched to playing cards.

Since that time I've found no fewer than nine different sets of meanings for playing cards. Think about that for a second...nine different sets of meanings for 52 cards. Which is right? Which is wrong?

All of them.

Same with Tarot. There are some wonderful books on Tarot. There are some dreadful books on Tarot. Which is right? Which is wrong?

All of them.

Take that 4 of Cups...

Etteilla - Boredom, displeasure, discontent, disgust, aversion...

Mathers - Ennui, displeasure discontent...(wonder where he got HIS meanings)...

Golden Dawn - Lord of Blended Pleasure, success or pleasure approaching their end...(what book did they read?)

Waite - Weariness, disgust, aversian, imaginary vexations, blended pleasure...

which is why I suggest journaling - you learn so much more when your own spirit guides you...

:smoker: