Tarot Tattoos

miss_nikki

room said:
I tend to agree with Dalrymple's assessment though that the promise of individuality or personal growth and empowerment related to tattoos is sad. It's more of an act, a facade of what a person would like to be perceived as, rather than who they are. Like a mask.

People are more interesting as themselves, in their own skin.

I dunno about that. I actually do not like to explain my tattoos to other people. They are private. Some of them can be seen, but not others. I am an artist, and that includes my skin.

Some people get them to be 'cool' or unique but that would also probably be a person who is shallow and defines their identity by the outside.

Little Hare

I agree with Hemera and miss_Nikki

I myself as yet do not have any tattoos but have been planneing what i've wanted since i was 12. Tattoos do have a deep historical and cultural value and depending on the person can be intensly personal or just a 'fad'

There is nothing mask like at all for getting a tattoo

brujablanca

I respect the opinion of everyone. However, I see nothing mask-like about Tattoos.

I think of a mask to hide under. Tattoos amplify who we are. I think of masks for someone who is shy. Those of us with tattoos generally don't fit that picture.

I don't think people with body art are hiding behind anything. We are comfortable with who we are. And comfortable with our bodies.

rogue

How about the idea of using tarot cards in an arm band? Did anybody suggest that yet? One of my favorite tattoo ideas is a hieroglyph arm band.

starchild

lampkin. i love that idea.
ive never realy been into tatoos, as ive said im scared of needles. but i have pictures of importance hanging on my walls. symbols of importance to me hanging in my mind. and now i feel a tattoo wouldnt be a mask but instead something personal to me. something that to me means a lot. thats why a tattoo of a tarot card would be important. nothing to do with wanting to be different. i may or may not show it to anyone.
my sister in law has a tatoo on her arm and she has had it for around ten years and i am the only one in the family who knows as she has never shown it to anyone.
i must say though its not so easy to choose a tarot tattoo as i know that as time passes i pass through certain tarot cards that are important to me at that point in my life. last year if i would have had a tarot card tatooed i would have had no problem choosing the hermit as he was so prominant in my life at the time. but this year it seems to be the lovers card that is so prominant and close to heart.
i always connect to the high priestess but at the same time i guess i am more of the fool in a lot of ways. so choiseing one out of the 78 is not an easy job. and then choosing a card that can be converted into an easy tatoo is going to be hard.

also i dont care what my tatoo looks like when im a dead body. i just hope that the rest of my body is also old and wrinkled by the time im dead. plus dont forget i will be watching. so any laughing at my dead body will bring an extra sound of laughter. as i will be right there next to who ever chooses to laugh at me. and maybe i will scare the life out of them. lol

miss_nikki

starchild said:
also i dont care what my tatoo looks like when im a dead body. i just hope that the rest of my body is also old and wrinkled by the time im dead. plus dont forget i will be watching. so any laughing at my dead body will bring an extra sound of laughter. as i will be right there next to who ever chooses to laugh at me. and maybe i will scare the life out of them. lol

Yes, we should start the 'Dare to Laugh at My Dead Body and I Will Haunt Your @ss Forever' club, hehehe :D

Hemera

ROFL
I want to join this club!!

brujablanca

I've come to a decision (I think)

I was taking to my sister the other day about wanting to get a Tarot card as a tattoo. We had been wanting to get a matching tattoo for sometime now; so I have decided on Temperance.

I need some help finding just the right Temperance. I have looked at the sites that shows the entire decks (from the forum) and I haven't come up with what I am looking for. I was wondering if someone might be able to scan one from their collection for me to view.

Thank you one and all for your response to this thread.

Blessings,

Bruja

rogue

I was against getting a tarot tattoo at first on this thread, but I've also decided to get one. I have a personal destiny card that I drew one time when me and my friends were having a Timothy Leary moment. Even though I've since recreated this card for my own deck, it's important to commemorate the original because the symbolism will always vary from deck to deck.