The Behenian Fixed Stars

DianeOD

Another "Behenian"(?) stone

Another from Norwich. This time Jacob as "master of the Rod/east"
underlying character-type: Orion

NorwichPharaohRodCards.jpg

Some refs for any interested in this:
Mottram, R.H., The Glories of Norwich Cathedral, London: Winchester publications (1958)

Rose, Martial and Hedgecoe, Stories in Stone: the medieval roof carvings of Norwich Cathedral, London: A&C Black, 1991

No doubt there are more. These are just ones I have in my own libray.

DianeOD

Beehive monastic architecture - Harran to Syria and Egypt

Why divine 'structures' can be compared with beehives. This is the beehive architecture derived from what was typical of "Magian" Harran, home to masters of stars and number; adopted as the style for Syrian Christian monastic architecture, and thence spread to Egypt.

This example from Wadi Natrun today.

MonasteryasBeehiveWadiNatrun.jpg

kwaw

kwaw said:
Jupiter from the ages of man diagram certainly looks to me like the equivalent card of the bateleur (figure seated at desk) in the older painted decks to me; and it is possible to make some argument for the TdM style bateleur as having Jupiterian qualities too, for example see fig. 14, claudius holding aloft the sceptre of jupiter, here:

http://www.google.co.uk/books?id=HM...rr=1&sig=dqnH6zFcTe1DciRGnse8q4Qeq1Y#PPA50,M1

(That whole chapter on Jupiter-Saturn is well worth a read).

A quality we may possibly see as emphasised in the Noblet bateleur that seems to be holding aloft a dismembered phallus, in respect of Jupiter as castrator of Saturn. As Jupiter is astrological significator of Christianity, Saturn is that of the Jews, possibly referenced in the figure of the wandering jew in the fool card.

As detailed in another thread the castration theme leads on to that of venus urania and venus natura (papesse and empress).

Kwaw

See also:

"Michael Scot’s rebus figure of “Juppiter” as prototype for the tarot pack’s “Magus’/‘Bateleur’ by Daana Mindon

Which currently can be found online here:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/magus-dm.htm

Or in pdf format here:
http://www.wopc.co.uk/downloads/scot.pdf

Kwaw

DianeOD

Ireland Egypt and Beehive stars

Thanks to Rosanne for pointing out that the 'Bevan' was a hut remembered among the irish as a small building/hut (I read monastic 'cell') used for astronomy.

Irish monasticism came from Egypt in the first place. The other 'beehive' cells are from the Syrian monastery in Egypt's Wadi Natrun.

And here's an ancient, Irish beehive cell as built by the ascetic monks:
GallusMonasteryBeehive.jpg

jmd

These stone cells (or very similar) are also all over the southern part of France, built by shepherds as night shelter against the inclemency of the weather.

DianeOD

Beehive cells and shepherds

Most appropriate - shepherds, cells, bees and stars -

Anyone interested in the Celtic-Egyptian connection, I'm putting a slab of text onto the Runic/Ogham thread.

Not putting a link - I neglected to make a note of it at the time, not thinking I'd be sharing the info one day.

Aeclectic seems to be becoming an addiction for me. Couldn't resist catching up on the threads... at 1.30 in the morning!

DianeOD

Compass as "15" stars

I'm going to try and include an alternative version of the compass, given in a paper by Periera. He actually gives RA and Dec. for the year 1300.

.... bother, can't paste a bitmap.

Can be seen at

http://chcul.fc.ul.pt/textos/MALH%C3O_PEREIRA_2003.pdf

go to p. 14.

from...JOSÉ MANUEL MALHÃO PEREIRA, THE STELLAR COMPASS AND THE KAMAL AN INTERPRETATION OF ITS PRACTICAL USE, Lisbon:2003

This suggests that inclusion of Centaur-like creatures in some packs is not an error, just a variant form.

DianeOD

Actual "15" stars of medieval Europe as form of the "17"

Have to tell everyone about this magnificent site.

Sadly, don't have its address at the minute, but google together
Yeats and "Lunar mansions"

and its sure to come up.

I stongly suggest that you first find the site-map diagram.

Believe me, you will feel as tho' its Christmas when you see that.

kwaw

Chaucer, who gave us the first treatise upon the Astrolabe in English and was very knowledgeable about the astronomy and astrology of his day, includes many astrological references, including to the mansions of the moon, in his Canterbury Tales.

Some have suggested the astrological references provide the keys to a map of the intended order of the tales; that upon the terrestrial pilgrimage, which starts on April 17th, a date by tradition upon which Noah's Ark was said to have departed, the pilgrims path follows the celestial way mapped against the arc of the articificial day, in 29 degrees within 24 tales (hours) related to astronomical diurnal and annual cycles.

The pun between ark and arc suggests a mnemonic trope for example as related by Mary Carruthers:

"...the arca as a "chest", a pun which associates the Genesis Ark with the Ark of the Covenant, described in Exodus...in which were stored the texts of the Law (on which the righteous man meditates day and night, according to Psalm 1). The mental painting is driven by sound colouring and shape. Puns transform the treasure chest of memory into the salvational ark of Noah, into a treasure chest (the ark of Moses) that contains the matter of salvation (Gods Law) which, stored in the chest of memory and thus available for meditation, will redeem and save, as the citadel (arc-) of "Jerusalem" will save God's people - provided they remember to "measure the pattern... "the material in the 'ark' of memory" forms a "pictura Archae"...picture painted by puns.

Puns being the flos or flowers of language that come to the aid of memory.

The idea that the tarot too is connected with mnemonic tropes has occurred to many of us individually and can be found suggested among several tarot authors from an early period. Of anyone to whom the idea has occured and found expression however I believe Diane O'Donavon has done most to seek to substantiate and demonstrate such with a great deal of original research in this area, some of which hopefully she will be able to share with us while she is here.

Kwaw
References:
Chaucer and the Country of the Stars. Poetic Uses of Astrological Imagery (Oxford University Press 1970) by Chauncey Wood
The Ars Legendi for Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (University of Florida Press, 1991) by Dolores Warwick Frese
The Craft of Thought: Meditation, Rhetoric and the Making of Images, 400-1200 (Cambridge University Press, 1998) by Mary Carruthers.