The Benefits of a Non-Scenic/Pip/Unillustrated Deck

Astrum_Stultas

I haven't read the entire post at all...I do see this point, however. I'll take the Three of Swords as an example-I'm so stuck on it meaning heartbreak because of the normal heart with swords through it that always pops in my head that I don't think of it as meaning painful truths, like Thirteen described to me.

Sometimes I do get stuck on cards because some of the meanings of the cards that I find online don't make sense within the scene, so I tend not to use those interpretations.

The trouble I would have is how does one go about finding and learning all the meanings of non-scenic pips?

Fulgour

Astrum_Stultas said:
The trouble I would have is how does one go about finding
and learning all the meanings of non-scenic pips?
Reading with a spread you have confidence in helps...
which can mean designing one yourself ~ it's exciting!
Then the cards will be able to reveal their meanings to
you as you understand them~and your meanings really
are the most important ones, the core-truths you find.

Myrrha

Astrum_Stultas said:
The trouble I would have is how does one go about finding and learning all the meanings of non-scenic pips?

I'm not sure you could ever know *all* the meanings, but it helps to have a framework. For example, if you see three as a number of expression, self expression,things coming into being, it makes sense that the 3 swords could mean certain truths and troubles coming to the fore, the need to accept and express sorrow and so forth. Many permutations of meaning within the framework will come up based on what is going on in your life and in the spread, not from memorizing a zillion meanings. This starts to really feel like a conversation between you and the cards.

Rusty Neon said:
A number + suit approach to the cards isn't necessarily better than a cartomantic approach, nor is the number + suit approach necessarily reflective of a "core meaning" of the cards.

This may be true. For myself I find cartomantic meanings more difficult to understand in the context of the reading, they don't seem to fit the question sometimes, and because there isn't a framework they are not as flexible.

--Myrrha

Sulis

I've been reading this thread with interest as well as Little Buddha's journal entry threads and I have to say that I'm inspired.

I've been using the International Icon Tarot and no other for the past few months and I love the minimalism of the images.
I use numerology and elemental correspondences in all of my readings and I've been remembering my very brief love affair with Thoth.... I loved the freedom of having just partially illustrated minors but I hated the keywords so the 'affair' didn't last long.
When reading with Thoth or The Stone Tarot (another of my favorites that uses Thoth style 'moodly minors'), I feel as if I'm not being led to a certain interpretation as I am with my RWS style decks and that is very liberating, although it does take more effort.

A month or so ago, I got myself a Hadar Marseilles but instantly decided that I'd never be able to read with it (a bit self defeating I know) but last night I decided to have a little play with it.

I made some journal notes about some of the cards and actually did a reading (which I think went quite well).

One thing that struck me is that you become a lot more aware of the numbers as an actual sequence - The 5s as breaking away from the stability of the 4's - the challenge before the balance and plateau of the 6's - I really like this.

So, I'm away - the journey has begun.... I even went over to Diana's Marseilles forum and spent ages reading through the threads there....

I don't think it's going to be easy - I'm comfortable reading with RWS based minors and this will mean putting those meanings from my head and starting again (which is very daunting).
Another thing is the fact that I love reading books about tarot, I love reading what other people think the cards mean and there is a distinct lack of books in English to use with Marseilles style minor cards - I'm looking forward to Lee's book :)

I'm very excited about this - I really feel as if it's the way forward :)

So thanks you guys who've been extolling the virtues of Marseilles and Marseilles style decks for ages (I'm finally hearing you:))
I've even ordered a non-scenic pip deck that I think may be easier on the eye than the classic Marseille -The Tarot du Roy Nissanka (although I don't think anyone who actually worked with it would call the Hadar ugly).

I'm going to post my first reading attempt in Your Readings later.... (although that's scary in itself).

Love Sulis xx

Moonbow

Sulis, that's great to hear, your enthusiasm runs throughout your post.

I think the Marseilles decks have so much to offer the reader in that the more they are used, the more one can see in them.... I guess this goes for any deck. I find that I like to read with all types of decks (RWS, Thoth etc) because they all teach me something and each interaction with any deck gives me more inspiration for reading. I also find that periodically swapping my interest keeps me enthusiastic about each type. There's is just so much learning to do when using Tarot.

I'm so glad you are giving this a go. By the way, there are some threads in the Marseilles forum called "How May They Be Read" (post #4). It would be great to see people add their interpretaions to these threads.

Lee

Diana said:
TL2: Referring to the above post, I do not see why a number 5 would indicate obstacles nor difficulties.
In looking back on this thread, I realize that my original post may have been misconstrued, most likely due to my own lack of clarity.

I am not suggesting that the number 5 means solely obstacles and difficulties. As you can see in this post, I'm fully aware that the 5 can be considered positively as well as negatively. In fact, I believe each card can be considered equally positively or negatively, depending on one's viewpoint. In the case of the 5, I consider a basic meaning to be "challenges." Challenges can certainly be difficult experiences, but without them there would be no human progress or achievement.

In my post, I was addressing TL2's question about how a suit+number interpretation would differ from an RWS-inspired interpretation. I was attempting to show that the RWS illustrations could be seen as embodying suit+number interpretations for many of the cards, while some of the RWS cards are more difficult to fit into a suit+number explanation. In the RWS, obstacles and difficulties are shown in the 5's in all four suits. Thus, one could surmise that Waite and Smith, when they created the cards, saw the 5's in a negative light and created the images accordingly. This interpretation for the 5's would have made sense for them, since as members of the Golden Dawn they would have associated 5 with the fifth sephira, Gevurah (to this sephira I assigned the keyword "Correction" in the Tarot of Dreams Guidebook).

In short, I was trying to speculate on Waite and Smith's own numerological interpretations based on their deck, rather than giving my own interpretations.

Fulgour said:
Heartbreak and Sorrow? :( That sounds like a "book" interpretation
and not something that a Reader would necessarily consider valid.

III Swords by Pamela Colman Smith "reads" more like Loyalty.
Fulgour, I have been reading the Tarot for 25 years. I spent a year as one of two readers doing professional readings for the Aeclectic site (MeeWah was the other), and during that time I did many, many paid readings. I can assure you that when I read, I do not consult books. If I'm reading a scenic-pip deck, I interpret the images on the cards intuitively. If I'm reading a non-scenic-pip deck, I interpret the images on the trumps and courds intuitively, and for the pip cards I interpret the suit, number, and card design intuitively (as well as, of course, in the context of the question, the spread position, and neighboring cards).

In the case of the 3 of Swords, I think Waite and Smith's intended meaning is pretty clear and unambiguous. A heart with three swords thrust into it, set against clouds and rain, is a vivid and visceral image of heartbreak. I do think it is possible to interpret the card positively (for example, it could mean simply a lack of emotional content, the swords seen as similar to the international icon for "no," a circle with a line through it), but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Having said that, I firmly believe in anyone's right to use any meanings they wish if they find them useful, so if "Loyalty" is a useful meaning for you, then that's great.

I'd be interested (sincerely) in how you derive loyalty from the RWS 3 of Swords, if you'd care to share that, or if you've discussed it before, perhaps you could direct me to the post? I'm always interested in new ways to interpret the cards.

Just to make sure I'm being clear: if I were reading a Marseille or other non-scenic-pip deck, I would not interpret the 3 of Swords as heartbreak. Inspired by Gail Fairfield's books, I would say it could mean planning a communication. Hitting the "Preview" button when composing a post, for example, is one activity that could be symbolized by the 3 of Swords. Or, if one chooses to interpret Swords as defense (based on the suit object), it could mean planning a defense, for example signing a contract for pest control. Suit+number meanings, I have found, can be highly specific to everyday concerns, if one is creative about how one applies them.

I also want to emphasize that when using suit+number interpretations, there are no "right" or "wrong" meanings for the numbers, just as there are no "right" or "wrong" meanings for the cards. There are different sets of numerological meanings available, and it's simply a matter of which meanings one prefers. It also depends on what mode or kind of readings you're doing. For example, I've been looking at the Hedgewytchery playing-card meanings, inspired by a recent post of LittleBuddha's. These meanings are more prediction-oriented. In the Hedgewytchery system, 5's mean the body, which I think is also a valid and interesting interpretation.

-- Lee

P.S. Thanks Sulis, I as well am looking forward to my book! :)

Astrum_Stultas

Myrrha said:
I'm not sure you could ever know *all* the meanings, but it helps to have a framework. For example, if you see three as a number of expression, self expression,things coming into being, it makes sense that the 3 swords could mean certain truths and troubles coming to the fore, the need to accept and express sorrow and so forth. Many permutations of meaning within the framework will come up based on what is going on in your life and in the spread, not from memorizing a zillion meanings. This starts to really feel like a conversation between you and the cards.

This makes sense, and actually seems like it would work better than staring at a scenic pip for an hour trying to figure out what it's trying to tell me. I also understand the idea about an artist's interpretation of a card...the Three of Swords I often associate with heartbreak because of the traditional RWS image, and find it hard to remember what you stated. If I was able I'd go out and buy a Marseille deck right now!

Actually...since I have to keep my Tarot interest secret because of my mother's hatred for it, I'm actually inspired to use my artistic skills to create my own deck! One problem: I can't draw worth crap...

Now here's another question: What do all the other numbers mean? You described 3's as being a card of expression...what does 1, 2, and 4-10 mean? Aces would obviously be the purest form of the suit...such as Ace of Cups is pure emotional, the begining of love, etc etc. But what words can you associate with the other numbered pips?

Sulis

Astrum_Stultas said:
Now here's another question: What do all the other numbers mean? You described 3's as being a card of expression...what does 1, 2, and 4-10 mean? Aces would obviously be the purest form of the suit...such as Ace of Cups is pure emotional, the begining of love, etc etc. But what words can you associate with the other numbered pips?

Here are some numerology threads for you to take a look at:http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11533

You could also take a look at the link that Moonbow* provided earlier on in the thread - it's from the Marseilles and Other Early decks forum - loads of good infor there: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31857

Sulis xx

Fulgour

Lee said:
I'd be interested (sincerely) in how you derive loyalty from the RWS 3 of Swords, if you'd care to share that, or if you've discussed it before, perhaps you could direct me to the post? I'm always interested in new ways to interpret the cards.
It helps to consider well that it is 3 Swords and not 1.
A situation involving three elements ~ in the Air realm,
is not going to be about emotions alone, but thinking.

Thinking long and hard, or knowing in an instant, when
"Loyalty" is an issue there can be no second thoughts.

Pierced by Love, Honour, and Loyalty is a Valiant Heart.

So far as the "clouds and rain" are concerned, I'd say
they represent the prevailing mood, crowd mentality,
"fair weather friends" and such. Loyalty can be lonely.

Myrrha

Astrum_Stultas said:
This makes sense, and actually seems like it would work better than staring at a scenic pip for an hour trying to figure out what it's trying to tell me. I also understand the idea about an artist's interpretation of a card...the Three of Swords I often associate with heartbreak because of the traditional RWS image, and find it hard to remember what you stated. If I was able I'd go out and buy a Marseille deck right now!

Actually...since I have to keep my Tarot interest secret because of my mother's hatred for it, I'm actually inspired to use my artistic skills to create my own deck! One problem: I can't draw worth crap...

I'm so glad my post made sense and was helpful! I started with numerological info found here at aeclectic, you will find it all in the threads Sulis linked to (thanks Sulis). It will be just as useful for reading your Art Nouveau Tarot, help expand your readings.

You will find that people here have some slightly varied ideas about some of the numbers and about the meanings of the suits. For example some people see swords as pure intellect rather than conflict and trouble. (I see it as a mix of both which is inconsistent and illogical but works for me.)

One number most people seem to agree on is four, which represents stability and related ideas-- security, boredom, foundation.

Anther idea is to relate the card to to the Major Arcana card that corresponds to the number. So Threes would have something in common with the Empress and Fours with the Emperor and so forth.

--Myrrha