The best LWBs you read

daphne

Once in a while, not very often, the LWB can be a surprise.

Good writing, or solid structure, or a different insight, a deep or funny approach, etc, etc, can make one of those little booklets, I hardly look into nowadays when I open a deck, to be a lovely surprise.

Either it gave you something new to ponder, something new to learn, or something delightful to read, what LWB(s) could you mention as worth reading?

Viridian

My favorite one is the Ghosts and Spirits Tarot by Lisa Hunt. Each card is based off of a ghost and spirit lore from different cultures and it's really interesting.

Danse Macabre is the World, White Ladies are the Queen of Wands & Temperance is the Swan Maiden just to name a few. Although the story meanings are a bit of a stretch sometimes in terms of the traditional meanings of the cards, the artwork is beautiful and the myths and legends could have made a much larger book.

Maan

I love this question.
So far i found the chrysalis tarot lwb rather good. And the vision quest one deserves a mention.
But for me by far the best LWB i have ever read is the one that belongs to the Phantasmagoric theater tarot. It has a fresh new take on every card with little stories yet it keeps very close to the RWS. I ever scanned so if it falls apart after so many years of use i still have it saved

Aeric

I find LWBs that don't provide a disjointed "shopping list" of suggested meanings per card rare. I feel that a good LWB provides a few sentences about the card's context instead. Any deck that avoids the white stapled shopping list booklet is great.

I'd have to say the Tarocco delle Vetrate (Stained Glass) is a great one because it's incredibly complex. There are no divinatory "meanings" of the cards and you can't use it like a typical LWB. Instead, Scapini explains the context of the images in relation to a process of Kabbalah transformation that is the deck's purpose, going through all 78 cards from Ace of Wands to King of Coins. It's a very daunting read, but incredibly rich and poetic.

daphne

I love this question.
So far i found the chrysalis tarot lwb rather good. And the vision quest one deserves a mention.
But for me by far the best LWB i have ever read is the one that belongs to the Phantasmagoric theater tarot. It has a fresh new take on every card with little stories yet it keeps very close to the RWS. I ever scanned so if it falls apart after so many years of use i still have it saved

:)
Actually, is your comment in the other thread, about the non-main stream decks we love, that made me wonder about good LWBs.

Maan

:)
Actually, is your comment in the other thread, about the non-main stream decks we love, that made me wonder about good LWBs.

"blush"

cant wait to read more reccomendations.

ana luisa

Great topic! I do not usually use the LWB but the ones that stood out because they brought VERY new insights and helped me "feel" the card better were the ones from VR, Fantastic Menagerie and the Sweet Twilight.

Citrin

I'd have to say the Tarocco delle Vetrate (Stained Glass) is a great one because it's incredibly complex. There are no divinatory "meanings" of the cards and you can't use it like a typical LWB. Instead, Scapini explains the context of the images in relation to a process of Kabbalah transformation that is the deck's purpose, going through all 78 cards from Ace of Wands to King of Coins. It's a very daunting read, but incredibly rich and poetic.

Wow I think you made a lot of us interested there! :) I actually have that deck, never looked at the LWB though I believe? Have to check it out tonight. ;)

Farzon

Oh, what a great question :)

My first deck´s one taught me the most (naturally) and I still find it very enlightening.
This would be the Hermetic Tarot. It has also a lot of information about Quaballah, the Sephirah etc. The version of the Celtic Cross given here is a bit strange to me, though.

The Shadowscapes and the Deviant Moon provide a nice contrast - one more positive, the other more dark, a bit cynical. Both very good, too. The Mary-El´s booklet is no LWB anymore, right ;-) ? This is a very enigmatic book with a lot of interesting spreads, too!