The Book of The Law Study Group 3.63

Aeon418

This verse and the handful that follow seem to indicate a progressive deepening of understanding in direct proportion to the readers level of insight.

The "fool" mentioned in this verse makes me think of Atu 0 The Fool. In the most straightforward sense it could represent the inexperienced beginner who is at the start of their initiatory journey. To them the Book of the Law is initially a closed book that makes little sense. Or maybe the reading goes no further than and superficial surface level. The 15 words in this verse (not including the amp.) could possibly signify that the book is initially a little like one aspect Atu XV The Devil. It is the Eye that only sees external appearances and surface details. It may aslo be a target for 'projection' and scapegoating.

Oddly enough I can find nothing meaningful via gematria for this verse. Maybe that's the point! :bugeyed: I suppose there were one or two things that could be 'spun', but nothing instantly jumped out at me and caught my attention.

As Crowley points out, there could be a double meaning to this verse. The 'fool' may mean the Divine or Pure Fool. This reverses the final section of this verse that reads "& he understandeth it not." This is not no understanding or misunderstanding but rather that he understands it as NOT - LA.
This is the key that Charles Stansfeld Jones (Frater Achad) revealed to Crowley in his diary extract, Liber Thirty-One.
http://hermetic.com/achad/pdf/liber31.pdf
One of Jones mottos was, PARZIVAL, who is the Pure Fool.

Zephyros

Like Aeon, I think the Fool here is Atu 0, that his vision of the Law is "pre-understanding," in essence, pre-Binah, its form and structure. Understanding implies a sort of filter. The Fool "feels" the Law naturally, it is "holier" than the words proclaiming it.

ravenest

That's interesting. The Fool understands it not .... he doesnt need to. Does a bird 'understand' its migration? The divine Fool just enacts ... instinctually or at 'the whim of the Gods'.

Also at the same time it can refer to the plain old earthy fool - the Mr. T type; "Fool!"

He wont be able to decipher hidden meaning. The higher Fool doesnt need to. ?

ravenest

Oh yeah .... and the comment .... same applies.

I remember reading this line the first time I ever read the Book ( many, many years ago). It really hammered in (at the time) that there was a LOT MORE going on in this book than I was going to get from a superficial reading ... and also it made me put off coming to any conclusions about the comment until I had more info .... still gathering info :)