The Book of the Law's bendible rules?

BleuReynard

Ok, so I'm new to the Thoth, hell I've only been using the tarot for less then a year now. The Thoth itself I picked up in late December 2012.

I have been doing my best to solo study the subject with help from The Book of the Thoth, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, Liber T, and The Mystical Qabala.

What's getting to me is The Book of the Law. I have a copy and I have not read it. Why? Because I was told the last bit of the book was a warning not to study it, what one gets from the Book is for himself/herself alone.

BUT IT IS STUDIED! Both Bot and UACTT reference it all the time! In this is my confusion.
I want to wait until I'm ready to retain the information before I read it, but it seems I almost should have read it first.

I know we have a study group on this forum, and I'm sure other people have had this issue. The forum's search box gave to many results that didn't answer the question.

So, what am I getting at? How can I form this situation in a way that people can answer and it doesn't just seem like a noob's rant?

I guess what I would like to know is:
if it is suggested that I just bite the bullet and read the Book, then get rid of it
if I should read the Book and keep it around
if I should wait it out
or if it really even matters

My draw today is The Star, Crowley and DuQuette suggest reading the first chapter.

ravenest

Why not 'go the whole hog' ?

Follow the star. Here is my recomendation, go outside into a nice space, private, at night and read chapter one under the stars.

See what happens and take it from there.

Aeon418

Here is my recomendation, go outside into a nice space, private, at night and read chapter one under the stars.

Is that with or without a torch? :laugh:

Aeon418

I guess what I would like to know is:
if it is suggested that I just bite the bullet and read the Book, then get rid of it
if I should read the Book and keep it around
if I should wait it out
or if it really even matters

One possibility may be to look at the Comment in a different way. Your questions seem to be based on the assumption that the Comment is a prescriptive set of instructions that should be followed out literally. But one alternative interpretation is that they are descriptive statemants that serve as a kind of warning, while at the same time being a sort of challenge to the reader. Are you up for it?

BleuReynard

Why not 'go the whole hog' ?

Follow the star. Here is my recomendation, go outside into a nice space, private, at night and read chapter one under the stars.

See what happens and take it from there.

Well, given that I have got nowhere in my study today, it's not such a bad idea.

Still the issue remains what to do after? It seems most people keep it their copy.

ravenest

Is that with or without a torch? :laugh:

Look outside - its a full moon!

Or take bell book and candle.

I would assume that BleuReynard is smart enough to work that out.

But if YOU want to try it; .... Aeon , it will be night time, if it is not dark enough to read take a torch or candle ... read a bit, look up to the stars ... read a bit more ... look up to the stars .... finish chapter one , lie back (turn off the tourch) and look up to the stars.

Its okay ... I realise SOME of us need BASIC instuction.

})

ravenest

Well, given that I have got nowhere in my study today, it's not such a bad idea.

Still the issue remains what to do after? It seems most people keep it their copy.

Sure ... keep the copy. I did and I still alive and not a centre of pestilence (better check with others on that :laugh: )

That comment is either a ploy to sell more books and keep them out of the 2nd hand bin at the book shop or Crowley reacting to the plague of harrasment and questions about the books meaning.

BleuReynard

One possibility may be to look at the Comment in a different way. Your questions seem to be based on the assumption that the Comment is a prescriptive set of instructions that should be followed out literally. But one alternative interpretation is that they are descriptive statemants that serve as a kind of warning, while at the same time being a sort of challenge to the reader. Are you up for it?

Well, I know why Crowley said it. It's so people keep their thoughts to themselves and don't go pushing their points a view onto others. How you first read the Book is what matters, this ideal may change if you pick it apart. That is the problem, people do pick it apart and state their point of view, Crowley himself has.

I want to get into the spirit of the Thoth so I'm attempting to follow the rules best I can.